Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: is my copy of Capcom vs snk 2 for dreamcast messed up?  (Read 1924 times)

muell67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
is my copy of Capcom vs snk 2 for dreamcast messed up?
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:11:28 pm »
I own a original copy of capcom vs snk2 for the dreamcast but I can not play import games so I downloaded a self booting backup.  Ive noticed that a few of the character names are switched like vega, M. bison, balrog, akuma. The characters play fine but there names come up wrong. Like I believe M.bisons character has the name vega.  Is this a known bug with this game or is my backup copy messed up?
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:24:33 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: is my copy of Capcom vs snk 2 for dreamcast messed up?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:30:29 pm »
This is the Japanese version of the game.  The character names are different because of this... for example, Balrog is M. Bison in the Japanese versions.  They were afraid this was too similar to Mike Tyson, so they changed that for all U.S. releases.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:58:13 pm »
 :laugh2:

DarkBubble

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:40:26 am »
 :dizzy:

Should I feel like a geek for coming up on 28 years of age and have known this since 7th grade?

The name changes were made with the release of Street Fighter II.  Capcom was basically afraid of being sued.  The way they just swapped three names instead of just renaming the one character is beyond me.

Name swaps, Japanese to U.S.:

Vega -> M.Bison
M.Bison -> Balrog
Balrog -> Vega

Sagat's the only "boss" character in SFII who didn't get a name swap.

muell67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 07:19:57 pm »
I thought it might have something to do with name changes in the us version but I was sure I would have known this, I new everything about street fighter II in 8th grade.
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 08:27:57 pm »

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 11:20:16 am »
LOL. Yup, names have been there since SFII. People get confused when they play my DC import copy too.

Banacek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2017, 05:01:31 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 08:57:05 pm »
:dizzy:

Should I feel like a geek for coming up on 28 years of age and have known this since 7th grade?

The name changes were made with the release of Street Fighter II.  Capcom was basically afraid of being sued.  The way they just swapped three names instead of just renaming the one character is beyond me.

Name swaps, Japanese to U.S.:

Vega -> M.Bison
M.Bison -> Balrog
Balrog -> Vega

Sagat's the only "boss" character in SFII who didn't get a name swap.

I'm assuming it was easier to swap the memory location than to create an entire new name and store it...

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:18:44 pm »
Good point, I hear ken was just a pixel swap of ryu to save on space originally also, though all that jaggie blonde hair seems like they did more than a pixel swap to me.

muell67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:54:42 pm »
could a moderator please delete this thread. I feel stupid for asking the question now.  :'(

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 01:14:01 am »
Good point, I hear ken was just a pixel swap of ryu to save on space originally also, though all that jaggie blonde hair seems like they did more than a pixel swap to me.
The character sprites are broken up into segments.  If you've got any sort of emulation software you can load up a street fighter game and look at the sprite and colour tables.  You'll see they generally break them into heads, torsos, and lower body segments.  Ken was a pallete-swap (ie: change the colours) on Ryu's torso and legs, and had a new head stuck on top.

could a moderator please delete this thread. I feel stupid for asking the question now.  :'(
No harm it not knowing something.  You shouldn't ever feel "stupid" just for asking a question.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 09:23:04 am »
Wow, didn't know bout the body segmentation, neat stuff.

I feel stupid all the time, I'll let you know if the moderators can delete my past. Come on, it isn't that serious an offense.