Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My base piece is not perfectly straight on one side.  (Read 2512 times)

rdowdy95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
My base piece is not perfectly straight on one side.
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:42:57 pm »
Hey guys I am about to be working on my base.  What I did I put all the 26" width pieces on one part of the base and flush trim routed them.  This was to make sure they will all fit inside the cabniet width wise.  I did this on the front part of the base.  The back part of the base however is like 1/16" wider in width.  So from the front to about the near the end say about 80% of one side of the base is pretty good.  But the other 20% in the back area is about 1/16" wider.

What should I do?  The speaker shelf I could put on top of it, and flush trim it so it matches the width of the speaker shelf on that side, but if my speaker shelf isn't perfectly straight on one of it's sides it will mess that up.  Cause the speakershelf laid on the front part of the base everything is flush. 

What would you guys do, just leave it and get the sides attached to see what it is going to look like or just go ahead and trim it up with the router?

Negativecreep0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2020, 10:59:49 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: My base piece is not perfectly straight on one side.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:34:42 pm »
I would call the WAHHHHHHH mbulance............

no seriously 1/16th is not noticeable with a human eye especially when the thing is done and colored and the monitor is on flashing no one will notice.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:36:47 pm »

His cab is gonna have a limp now.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:27:43 pm »
Hey is the limp deal some kind of joke.  Or do you think that will make everything crooked.  I am a noob in all this wood working so I just don't know.  I will go home tonight and try to study it better.

What do you guys recommend though? Like the one guy said it won't be noticeable I just don't want the shelfing to fall in there.

I did put a straight edge up against the side and it is just the very end/back of the left side is where is starts to get a little wider ny about 1/16".

Should I just leave it and one of the side pieces will look a little tilted or get it flush to where it is more leveled.

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 10:44:42 pm »
For 1/16th of an inch, I wouldn't stress it. The rest of the pieces will help pull it all into shape.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 04:03:40 pm »
If it is bothering you or will stress you out for the rest of your days... fix it.

(I am seriously plagued with hobby level OCD, so I would fix it.)

If you don't fix it, your cabinet will not fail nor explode :timebomb:

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 07:28:58 pm »
Hey guys I went ahead and just left it be.  I took some more pieces of the inside cabniet pieces, and it is just barely noticeable.  We are going to put the sides on tommorow.  I moved the bottom supports in 5 inches to account for some spinning wheel casters in the front.

TehJefe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2006, 11:54:05 am
  • Oh Tyler, save me! Deliver me!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 01:00:05 am »
no seriously 1/16th is not noticeable with a human eye
But your shoddy craftsmanship will be the laughing stock of all the dogs cats and goldfish in the neighborhoood.. if youre okay with that, go ahead, dont fix it.

Me, I somehow manage to get EXACTLY one eighth of an inch off of every single on of my measurements.  Usually not my cuts.. unless I forgot to measure again before I cut.. but I do know to account for the blade and all that. I just cannot IMAGINE how I could consistantly get it exactly an eigth of an inch wrong...

Ahh well.

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 01:39:29 pm »
TEHje
Are using a tape measure or ruler.
When using a tape the metal tab at the end of the tape can become loose and create a sloppy measurement (the rivet hole will wearout). A metal ruler or square is much more accurate and won't becme loose.
Cheers
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.