Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Glue Gun question? Glue Sticks?  (Read 3305 times)

rdowdy95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
Glue Gun question? Glue Sticks?
« on: August 21, 2006, 05:37:49 pm »
Hey everyone I got a glue gun that takes the mini sticks.  My question is this.  I have some glue sticks that are for everything.  I got them from Michaels.  They say put it on high if you are doing anything with wood or metal.  They say put it on low heat if you are doing like fabrics, plastics stuff like that.  Would these be good to use.  Or should I try to find hot glue gun sticks made for wood and only wood.  If I do need some that are wood preferred do you guys know where to get them.  I couldn't find them at Home Depot.

These I have may do the trick they did say wood on them, but it had lots of other stuff as well.  What did you guys use.  I am also using wood screws as well.  I am using the Project Arcade book.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Glue Gun question? Glue Sticks?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:16:10 pm »
I used those same generic mini-glue sticks on my first cab and it worked very well.  I looked, but couldn't find any glue sticks specific for wood, and the generic ones held very well, so you'll be fine using those. 

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:07:05 pm »
AtomSmasher as always many thanks.  I have a question about your panel.  What are those three red buttons by the 4 way joystick?

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:04:08 pm »
AtomSmasher as always many thanks.  I have a question about your panel.  What are those three red buttons by the 4 way joystick?
They are just player 1 buttons 1, 2 and 3.  I wanted them next to the 4-way joystick as well as the 8-way.

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:09:39 pm »
Sears has a pretty decent collection of glue sticks, though most non-crafty places don't carry those mini sticks. A two-temp glue gun that can use the big sticks is like $15 with a case and a couple dozen free sticks at Sears, might want to consider just buying a big one so you can use different kinds of glue if you need.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:07:07 am »
Atom that was what I was thinking.  So is their any 4-way games that take advantage of 4 or more buttons?

Night thanks for the info on the glue sticks.  The little generic ones say they are good for everything.  I think there is a website where I can get the wood specific ones.  I just forgot to bookmark it.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:30:11 am »
Atom that was what I was thinking.  So is their any 4-way games that take advantage of 4 or more buttons?
Not that I know of.  Actually I'm not sure if there are any that use 3 buttons, but I just copied it from another CP that I liked the look of.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:58:46 pm »
Atom what is your 4-way joystick model and do you like the feel, or did you get for more of a retro look.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 04:21:15 pm »
Atom what is your 4-way joystick model and do you like the feel, or did you get for more of a retro look.
Happ MS Pac-Man/Galaga Reunion Joystick, and I love the feel of it.  I've spent more hours playing galaga growing up then any other game, so I wanted to make sure I had a good stick for it.  I figured if its good enough for the new MS Pac-Man/Galaga cabinets, then its good enough for me.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 11:07:17 pm »
They make wood glue glue sticks, but the extra expense of them isn't worth it, IMO.  Also, if you're using a glue gun, it should be for sticking small stuff together.  The glue cools off way too quickly for serious glue-ups, and you can get an applicator top or applicator bottle to hold wood glue and simply roll it out or brush it on.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 03:18:32 pm »
Drew,

I am following the project arcade book, and I am using it to kind of hold stuff temporarily then I use wood screws to hold it together.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 06:38:35 pm »
Drew,

I am following the project arcade book, and I am using it to kind of hold stuff temporarily then I use wood screws to hold it together.
As I mentioned, I used the glue sticks on my cab and they worked fine.  For my current cab I decided to go with wood glue instead, its just easier to work with since it doesn't dry as fast and doesn't need to be plugged in to be applied.

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 08:25:40 pm »
Use clamps for temporary holding and use wood glue and screws for the actual assembly. Glue guns are better for things like holding T-molding in place if you cut the wrong slot size. They're handy for a quick, temporary fix or arts & crafts type stuff, but I wouldn't use them anywhere that will have any more than a few pounds of stress on the joint.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.