Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sanwa snap-on buttons in a wooden control panel  (Read 5636 times)

tt_rage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2007, 01:54:49 pm
Sanwa snap-on buttons in a wooden control panel
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:02 pm »
Hey everyone.

I've got an old wooden upright arcade cab that needs some care and attention. I'm looking to make and fit a new control panel and would like to use Sanwa components to make it. However, it looks like the Sanwa snap-in buttons are designed for thin (i.e. metal) control panels, rather than the thicker wooden panels.

Can anyone tell me if I'm right? I'd rather not splash out for a complete set of buttons that I then can't use.

Many thanks ... and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

n3rrd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2006, 01:26:33 pm
  • idd3D
Re: Sanwa snap-on buttons in a wooden control panel
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:36:27 pm »
Technically, no, Sanwa parts can't mount directly into a wood panel like Happs parts can.  The Joysticks should be top mounted, and the buttons are too short for 3/4" wood.  A way around the button mounting issue is to cut the holes in the wood wide enough to fit both the threading and the nut on the buttons.  Then, cut the acrylic to the size of the threading.  That way, you can mount the Sanwa buttons on the acrylic, lexan, whatever...

tt_rage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2007, 01:54:49 pm
Re: Sanwa snap-on buttons in a wooden control panel
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:58:24 am »
Hmmm - sounds like I'm better off making the panel out of sheet metal and mounting it on wooden blocks so it'll fit back into the cab.

Many thanks for the help, n3rrd.