Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Windows version for SK Jukebox?  (Read 31230 times)

wvpinballguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2006, 02:56:16 pm
Best Windows version for SK Jukebox?
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:27:59 am »
I'm starting to select hardware and software to build a touchscreen system using the next release (with FLAC support) of SK Jukebox. Does XP offer any advantages over older Windows software in this case?
Thanks.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Best Windows version for SK Jukebox?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:58:40 pm »
SKjukebox depends on XP for some of its features such as the on screen KB.   It does not work as well with W98 or ME.   I also had some difficult file shareing issues (not SKjuke related) while using W98 and XP for file share so overall it is easier to use XP.  My juke is running W98 due to cost but it took a couple of weeks to get it to file share and I am waiting for an update to SKjuke so that I can get FIND to work on my touchscreen.

SalmonKing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2007, 10:45:44 am
  • SK Jukebox
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:32:53 pm »
It should work fine on 98/ME, with one other exception : The 'browse for folder' is currenly broken within the Options screen.  I have fixed this in the next version, however.  Yes, there WILL be a new version, just not sure when at this stage.  I will try & get it out there by the end of the month!

BobA - For Find to work better, I will have to write my own on screen keyboard, which will take me some time.  The way I want to do it will take some time to get right.  I did fix up the Jump screen tho, with left/right buttons on that screen, as well as being able to click on the letter to select it.

Once I have done my own on-screen keyboard, there shouldn't be anything else that works in XP/2000 that doesn't work in 98/ME, as far as I'm aware.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:20:32 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Having jump work as you describe will go a long way in making my w98 install more functional.  It is rather slow when you have to page thru 300 albums.  Looking forward to the new jump implementation.

Great work

BobA

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 09:04:43 am »
UPDATE: Tried the updated version and the find command now works on my touchscreen under W98.   It will be great with a keyboard in software but for now the scrolling letters work for me.  I can run under W98 instead of XP and that saves a bunch of money.

Thanks
BobA

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 04:24:07 pm »
How did you get it to load 300 albums?
It seems to hang on me if I try and load more than 20.
I'm running it on XP using a P-IV 1.8GHz with 512 Megs of RAM.

Also, it dosen't always read the cover.jpg files for some reason.

Is there a FAQ file for this progie someplace?

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:17:13 am »
XP currently has the best feature set with the mini KB etc.  I am running my main juke on an 800mhz PIII with 384 M memory and W98.  It displays the full 300 albums without a hicup.  SK juke on all my XP machines runs with the same number of albums.   

What is the average size of your album jpgs?   Smaller is probably better.  Mine are from 20K to about 80K.

_) (V) (-)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 12:29:57 pm »
I've got all different sizes, from 4k to 120K.
Need to sit and experiment with it some more I guess.

I've got a 250 Gig hard drive full of albums, was hoping to get them all que'd up in there. However the thing hangs after just a few are loaded.

Any clues what the problem could be there?

Maybe a stray WMA file or something?

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 03:58:27 pm »
Sorry cannot even guess.   Try the forum on the  SKjuke site and you might get SK to help out.

http://www.skjukebox.com/

acejas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2021, 06:15:55 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 06:26:36 am »
I had teh same problem and I bet its your mp3 collection. I have a 350 gig drive that just stalled and crashed. How i found teh problem was to not use a static database and then when SK loaded I noted which album it stalled on. I had a few of these which had corrupted and or large album covers etc.

As someone else has said before, use Tag & rename and it makes it very very quick and easy especially if you have your music in genre dirs etc

If you need more info feel free to PM me

cheers