Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Woodworking problem - any ideas?  (Read 2064 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:38:31 pm
Woodworking problem - any ideas?
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:23:15 pm »
OK, I'll try to explain this as best as I can because the only picture I have now (below) is crappy and doesn't really show what I need but here goes...

I am mounting the monitor inside my cocktail.  I have already mounted it to the side panel (sucessfully, I think) and the only thing left to do is mount it to the top.  The picture below shows the way I mounted it to the side panel (but of course being the dumbass I am I didn't snap a pic of the part giving me trouble).  In the very upper left you can see the bracket on the monitor frame that will attach to the top.  I need to make a shim EXACTLY 2-3/32" thick (and roughly 13" long and 1-1/4" wide) so the frame can be attached to the table top the same way it is attached to the side.

Once I have the shim made, how should I attach it so it is secure?  I am going to be using some lag bolts to fasten the monitor frame to the shim but I think for maximum support the lag bolt should run through the shim and into the tabletop itself.  I do not have a drill press though so this is going to be tough.  I want this thing to be very very secure (obviously).  Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

THANKS!!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:24:54 pm by javeryh »

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: Woodworking problem - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:23:06 pm »
Depends on what will be on the other side of where you are mounting. (on the top of the top itself)

Will there be a routed area for a monitor shroud and bezel of some sort?
And then glass on top of that?

So that you could possibly use either countersunk type bolts or even a carriage bolt with the button head style. And then the shround and or bezel would cover the bolt heads.

Just depends on how you are "fininshing" the top. (exterior)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:38:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:34 pm »
I should have mentioned that the top is painted black and "finished" - I might add artwork at a later date but I'd like to solve this problem without drilling through the top.

THANKS!!

vader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2022, 12:22:08 pm
  • I can't breathe in this thing !!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:11:31 pm »
not sure if this is what your looking for, but what I did was

Two pieces of 3/4" poplar board available from home depot.

4  2" wood lag screws

Put a piece of tape on my drill bit at 2" to make sure I didn't come through
the back ( I would stop at the tape marking.

Installed the bolts and the monitor isn't moving.  Here's the link to my project

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=33653.msg298843#msg298843

Also used two pieces of 2" wide strip for mounting to the top.  I'm not sure of the
thickness of your top, so factor that in to the screw length
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:13:32 pm by vader88 »