Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 emulaxian questions.  (Read 2682 times)

2slk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2004, 11:38:09 pm
  • Fascinating, Captain.
2 emulaxian questions.
« on: March 11, 2003, 01:55:59 am »
1- I have tried to get more than 25 cabs in the FPS arcade using the internal configurator (fpscabsmax) but I'm still only getting 25. Am I missing something?

2- Maybe I'm up way too late working on this but after reading the docs, tutorial and playing around WAY too much, I still can't play music via the fe. Can anyone throw me some advice on setting this up?

Thanks in advance.  

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
Re:2 emulaxian questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 02:03:45 am »
1- I have tried to get more than 25 cabs in the FPS arcade using the internal configurator (fpscabsmax) but I'm still only getting 25. Am I missing something?

2- Maybe I'm up way too late working on this but after reading the docs, tutorial and playing around WAY too much, I still can't play music via the fe. Can anyone throw me some advice on setting this up?

Thanks in advance.  

1. maybe you changed the wrong arcade cfg file.
just change fpscabsmax|25| in the two arcade cfg files that ship with the farcades\default.cfg and arcades\fpsdemo2.cfg you will find the entry in section 4 of the cfg files

2. see fereadme: IX How to setup a jukebox, a movie theatre and gates

peter

2slk

• Offline Offline
  • Fascinating, Captain.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 02:23:19 am »
Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

1- Yup, just unzipped a fresh copy of the fe, copied my gamelists from my working copy, modified both files as you suggested (as I had done before) and it still doesn't change. In fact, I tried setting the max to 10 but I still get 25.

2- Need sleep. Maybe it will make more sense tomorrow.

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 02:56:22 am »

1- Yup, just unzipped a fresh copy of the fe, copied my gamelists from my working copy, modified both files as you suggested (as I had done before) and it still doesn't change. In fact, I tried setting the max to 10 but I still get 25.

ah yes..now i remember...you are probably using the 0.77 release exe. i accidently let in a debug flag in the cfg utility...so it always changes arcades\fpsdemo2.cfg even if you selected another one...so change it by hand or better get the latest beta ;-)

peter

2slk

• Offline Offline
  • Fascinating, Captain.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 01:16:30 pm »
Peter,

1 - Yes, that was it. I changed the values manually and it's working perfectly. Man, it can get crowded in there!!! I'm wondering if it would be possible to resize the room itself?

2 - Still haven't looked at it again but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!!!

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 04:43:42 pm »
Peter,

1 - Yes, that was it. I changed the values manually and it's working perfectly. Man, it can get crowded in there!!! I'm wondering if it would be possible to resize the room itself?

2 - Still haven't looked at it again but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!!!

1. go to fpsdemo2 that one is really big some people put more the 200 cabs in it  :o

2. it is possible to just point to a playlist in an arcade cfg file...but the jukebox is more fun  ;)

peter

2slk

• Offline Offline
  • Fascinating, Captain.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 03:28:22 am »
Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The more I learn about this FE, the more I like it. I can't say enough good things about it.

1 - Yup, you can fit a lot more cabs in the fpsdemo2 room. Things get really slow with a lot of cabs in there. I have a really high performance system so I am assuming that tweaking some options may improve things in this regard.

2 - I finally got the music/playlists working and I am left with only one question at this point. Maybe I missed it somewhere but is there a way to toggle the background noises off automatically when a playlist is started?

Thanks in advance.

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 03:41:08 am »
1. actually the way the models are build they use a lot of polys so with the default setup it is allready pushing more then 100.000 polys ;-) That said with a fast system you could get about 200 at the same time or that is what I here...I mostly use 75.

The way the engine works all stuff expect the collision detection is handled by your graphics card. So speed for the fps is completely depended on your videocard. Cylarcade is different as it has to dynamically push models through the agp pipeline that is more processor and fast ram depended. So to speedup the fps arcade would be disabling the collision detection but who wants to do that  ;)

2.  In an arcade cfg file disable the background sound and set the musicplaylist to start when the arcade gets loaded. then when and arcade loads that uses this arcade cfg file the background music will stop and the playlist will automaically start.

peter

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 01:56:42 pm »
It's actually odd what works well for it or what doesn't.  My system is lower on resources than peter's but I get a very similar framerate.  Also my video card can pass through the textures no problem while other's in the same class choke on it.  
If you have other modern cards lying around you may want to experiment and see which one gives you the best performance.  

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 02:32:14 pm »
yeah hc is right...but true for a lot of other 3d app's also..some combinations of os, graphic card and especially also graphic card driver work better then others.

You can also try different renderers some work better with the prefrender option set to directx7 others with opengl.

Also if you got a lot of models in there the amount of textures can cause you to have not enough video ram to have them all in there at once...this means textures will be cached in ram and have to be swapped...causing slowdown how much depends on how fast your ram and agp pipeline is...so for emulaxian how more videoram the better  ;)

peter

2slk

• Offline Offline
  • Fascinating, Captain.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 03:35:50 pm »
Howard, Peter,

Very big difference. My main system is running a GF4 ti4200 128Meg card, slightly overclocked. Changed the renderer to OpenGl and the card isn't even blinking with 200 cabs (evenly spaced). Thanks a lot!

)p(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 04:16:02 pm »
Howard, Peter,

Very big difference. My main system is running a GF4 ti4200 128Meg card, slightly overclocked. Changed the renderer to OpenGl and the card isn't even blinking with 200 cabs (evenly spaced). Thanks a lot!

;D

i use the same card on my desktop but see not much difference between dx and opengl work both very good...pc's are weird... 8)

peter