Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have one of these?  (Read 2641 times)

Mike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
Anyone have one of these?
« on: March 09, 2003, 09:41:31 am »
Does anyone have one of these keyboards yet? http://www.ideazon.com/products/products_default.html They look pretty cool. It would be really cool if they came up with interchangable arcade controls for the thing. They also might make a good device to hack. They are only $30 for the base unit. And they contain a 24X10 matrix. Also supposedly it stores macros on a chip on the keyboard so they might be usable my mame. I just wanted to get feedback on it before I ordered one.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:Anyone have one of these?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 04:33:29 pm »
Hmmm, programable keyboards have been around for ever. I'm not seeing the benefit in this thing.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Zeitgeist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2013, 05:57:51 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 09:53:48 pm »
Mike,

Are you intending to hack this thing?

If you are just looking to remap/reprogram keys on a keyboard hack then you might get some use from ZD Net's free Tradekeys2 utility available at this website:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,19645,00.asp

You will have to copy the address above & paste it in your address bar for it to work.

If you use a hacked keyboard matrix (pcb), you can use this application to make your mame specific controls compatable with any emulator or game.

It actually allows you to save different keymap profiles.
You can have a different profile for MAME, Stella, Impact, etc...
You would simply run the profile before playing the game(s).

Hope this helps...
 ;)
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 02:25:09 pm »
Mike,

Are you intending to hack this thing?

If you are just looking to remap/reprogram keys on a keyboard hack then you might get some use from ZD Net's free Tradekeys2 utility available at this website:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,19645,00.asp

You will have to copy the address above & paste it in your address bar for it to work.

If you use a hacked keyboard matrix (pcb), you can use this application to make your mame specific controls compatable with any emulator or game.

It actually allows you to save different keymap profiles.
You can have a different profile for MAME, Stella, Impact, etc...
You would simply run the profile before playing the game(s).

Hope this helps...
 ;)
Interesting... Has anyone tried doing this with a keyboard encoder?
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 01:16:12 pm »
I was at the Game Developers Conference in San Jose last week and this company had a boot there, displaying the ZBoard.  I stopped and check it out and talked to a rep about it.  I don't think it would be easy to hack.  See there is this one base unit you buy, and then there are the multiple keyboard overlays you buy.  Each overlay contains some sort of information that tells the base unit which overlay you are using.  And each overlay costs $30 on top of the $30 base.  The only thing that would be cool about trying to hack this is if you could somehow construct your own keyboard overlays. And I doubt you could.  You would see what I mean when you see the overlays up close.  It was an interesting product though.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 01:40:39 pm »
Hmm that TradeKeys 2 program is interesting.  If only it was commandline based it would work PERFECT for arcade cabinets.  But the source IS included in the download...maybe someone here can MAKE it a commandline based software...hint hint