Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor shelf dimensions, max weight  (Read 3903 times)

greaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2007, 06:28:21 pm
Monitor shelf dimensions, max weight
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:59:02 pm »
Before I even begin construction I'd like to know how much weight the monitor shelf can hold. I plan on putting a television in there. Most TVs I looked at were around 25 3/4 wide and weighed between 65-80 lb. Will these TVs fit in the cabinet plans and will the shelf safely hold the weight?

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Monitor shelf dimensions, max weight
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:10:39 pm »
I don't know the exact max weight, but I put the biggest tv that would fit (27'') in mine and it was no problem.  As long as you follow the book by using 2''x2'' strips and shelf brackets to secure the shelf, then you should be fine.

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
Re: Monitor shelf dimensions, max weight
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 03:37:19 am »
Allow me to add that when we built ours we intended it to be the center of our home entertainment area - so we put a 32" widescreen TV in ours - had to totally modify the plans but it worked! 

As far as weight, I'll only echo what AtomSmasher said, except that the bigger you go the bigger the brace obviously....because our TV was going to be SO huge, I used 2 x 4's, instead of 2x2's.   Also used the screw in  18" long metal "L braces"  (4 of them).   Our cabinet has been in our house, fully functional for 2 years, and that shelf has not budged.  Very sturdy.   We did, however, also mount ours horizontal to make TV viewing easier....but need to raise the unit up a little so that the screen is more in the center of the bezel.

I can hear some of you laughing now as you try to figure that out - I can't remember the exact name of the brace at 3:40 AM!! :)