Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Album Sorting and Folder Naming  (Read 4759 times)

Jerkyboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2006, 04:38:17 pm
Album Sorting and Folder Naming
« on: June 16, 2006, 08:58:56 am »
First off, let me say, SKJB is awesome! I trialed some pay programs and I'm glad I found this one before I bought them.

I'm looking for some insight on how others sort their albums in SKJB? The problem I'm having is that groups that begin with "The" (The Cars, The Hooters etc.) all sort to the Ts section. Also, artists sort to the letter of their first name (Billy Joel sorts to Bs , not Js). Logically, I would think most people looking for Billy Joel would look under J, not B. I know I could change the album folder name to force it to sort correctly, but I don't like the look of the program when the artist displays "Joel, Billy" under the album name. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they've gotten around this?

SalmonKing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2007, 10:45:44 am
  • SK Jukebox
Re: Album Sorting and Folder Naming
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:01:18 am »
The only suggestion I can make is a manual one, I'm afraid.  If I took the first word & moved it to the end, you'd end up with 'Hot Chilli Peppers, Red' or 'Day, Green' in your list, which would just look silly.  With bands that start with 'The', I put that at the end of the name ('Cars, The').

Jerkyboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:09:51 am »
Thanks.

You might want to consider having the option to use an alias for the display. In other words, name the artist directory "Cars, The" for sorting, but allow another option for naming the display in SKJB "The Cars". Then you can have the best of both worlds.

SalmonKing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2007, 10:45:44 am
  • SK Jukebox
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:04:21 pm »
So, if I see a comma in the name, move the text after that to the front of the name for display purposes only?  I'll see what I can do......

Jerkyboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 03:29:30 pm »
That would work!

Thanks!