Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Birdz 4 out of 5  (Read 3818 times)

Kangum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
Space Birdz 4 out of 5
« on: May 28, 2006, 05:29:11 pm »
http://www.feeblez.34sp.com/sb/index.htm

Space Birdz is a (currently) free classic style shooter with strong galaga like gameplay with lots of twists like space shops to buy weapon upgrades. The arcade feel of this game is really amazing. I'm not sure if its the colors they used the gameplay or the whole thing together.

The game controls are very basic. left and right to control your ship and 2 buttons. One to fire and the other to use your shield. it has lots of screen resolutions to choose from, as low as 320x240.

I rate this game a 4 out of 5 for 3 reasons. Its lack of cocktail screen flipping, long exit for PR spam, and a small bug where ships go off the lower part of the screen and hit you from behind.

if you can find an earlier version you can avoid the long exits. although its unfinished its still recommended.

http://www.feeblez.34sp.com/sb/index.htm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 05:45:23 pm by Kangum »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: Space Birdz 4 out of 5
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 05:53:43 pm »
Yep I like it too, plays great on my real arcade CRT !

You say it's a bit like Galage, but actualy this is simply a "polished up" version of Phoenix.

Great game, great graphics, indeed shame that it's never finished.

Kangum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:41:18 am »

i had never tried phoenix before. polished up version is definatly a nicer way to put it.

the biggist problem i have with this game now is how everything points in a direction to him selling the game for profit. there is no way he could do that without getting sued. even the attack patterns are the same. I didnt play them both from start to finish but its way to much for sure. same enemies same characteristics same attack patterns.

both are fun for sure but ive lost alot of respect for this game after you have pointed that out. he could not sell that any more then i could sell a pacman game wearing a tophat with better graphics.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:04:29 pm »
Phoenix was made by Centuri, which has been defunct for years (obviously as their games sucked, even for then).  Also no one afaik ever picked up the rights to their titles (again for obvious reasons), so their might not be anyone left to get sued by.