Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Gamecabinet's desktop kit  (Read 3196 times)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
New Gamecabinet's desktop kit
« on: March 02, 2003, 08:13:27 pm »
Have you guys seen this?

Although I have no need for kit like this, does it seem like a good idea to recommend to friends who like your cabinet, but may be timid on what's involved...

*Shrug*

Rampy

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:New Gamecabinet's desktop kit
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 08:16:18 pm »
its the TOTAL package dude..you get all the parts cut to size and everything..all you gotta do put em together..i DONT think anyone over here(forum) bought any so far but finger crossed :D.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 08:17:31 pm by SNAAAKE »

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2010, 08:31:05 pm
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 10:57:19 pm »
The prices seem kind of high, you would be better off buying something else, or building yourself ;)

Xphile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 12:54:48 am
  • I'll never go back to the NHL!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 11:11:13 pm »
The prices seem kind of high, you would be better off buying something else, or building yourself ;)

haaaaay.. did you read someones rant in the other forum or something..?

<duckin' and runnin'>
Pull a year and a half strike- it's over 4eva..
besides, WHL rocks!

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2010, 08:31:05 pm
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 11:52:00 pm »
nope, but you could build one for about 60 or less, the one I had priced from there was $115....ouch.....

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 12:57:46 am »
nope, but you could build one for about 60 or less, the one I had priced from there was $115....ouch.....

i could build a dual joystick for about $50.I have a question for the seller though,how many of these you actually sold?

I mean IF you are doin good business then maybe i should start selling too.its much easier if you ebay complete sticks though.give it a try..you will see,you can sell any joystick that works(looks dont matter).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 12:58:56 am by SNAAAKE »

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 02:05:17 am »
Snaaake, how much is your time worth?

how long would a newbie spend slaving over a hot soldering iron swearing at a couple game pads? $10 for the pads...say $10 for the iron if he can't borrow one

ok, I guess he could go with an Ipac, but that's gonna be
$43+$12 shipping from ultimarc

what if a, oh, say a college student in a dorm wanted to have a CP, but didn't have any tools, and wasn't takin any woodworking courses? how much would beer/cash would he have to slip the instructer to use the shop to make some laser cut panels..um I mean use the cnc router ..errr... Probably only have regular tools like table saws and shapers and routers and such, so how many hours would he be in the shop and how much would it cost him to be there?
(or the newbie could buy a whole whack of tools and bits)

joys and buttons from bodroberts $30+ shipping

1/4 sheet of some kind of drawer quality ply (maple/birch/whatever) easily cost $10

so parts only we're getting up there, not counting the box,tools,time..

obviously this kit isn't for everyone, but it sure as hell is a nice compromise for a newbie between:

buying a ready made xarcade box or similar (with zero feeling of accomplishment and inferior products/materials),

and:

getting all dusty/losing fingers /buying tools if you don't have them/lot's of feelings of having "built this with my own two hands" kind of stuff we do..

it's like the snap-tite model kits you got before you were allowed to use model glue, but after you were done playing with die cast cars... it's a happy middle ground before jumping in with both feet..

I'm sure more than one person thought, "Wow, building a real arcade control panel... that's a great idea, but it would be too hard/timeconsuming/etc...i'll build one later when I have more time"  

It may not be for us, but if it brings more people to the BYOAC fold (eventually -when they see how easy it was with the kit and want to do a different CP, or a  whole cab), then I can only see it being a good thing for those people (and therefore, us as well) to have that niche filled for them.

I don't know.... more selection is better. more options is better. more people getting their feet wet, and possibly getting into building their own later - is better.

this kit isn't for us regular posters, it's for the lurkers, the ones who don't want to take the plunge yet.. the folks who can't do it from scratch for one reason or another. but still want a CP. and still want to feel like they built something themselves. accomplished something.. If i'm totally off base, if those people don't exist somewhere out there, the product will fail.  if, as I believe, there's people who do want such a product,  these guys will have it for them.

<sorry rampy, but i gotta steal this one time>
*shrug*

besides, WHL rocks!

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 02:33:25 am »
I think when they add the 2 player dual option they will be able to justify the cost more.. the x-arcade is in the $150 range for the 2 player and the Hotrod is still $200 (I think ) so if they can be somewhere in the $150-225 range they will be in business.. people would be willing to pay more for the experience, the customization and the fact that it has an I-Pac... but I personally wouldn't buy a single player for that cost but its not that bad of a deal for someone who doesnt want to get their hands dirty.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 02:34:23 am by brandon »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2003, 02:39:59 am »
Snaaake, how much is your time worth?

how long would a newbie spend slaving over a hot soldering iron swearing at a couple game pads? $10 for the pads...say $10 for the iron if he can't borrow one

ok, I guess he could go with an Ipac, but that's gonna be
$43+$12 shipping from ultimarc

what if a, oh, say a college student in a dorm wanted to have a CP, but didn't have any tools, and wasn't takin any woodworking courses? how much would beer/cash would he have to slip the instructer to use the shop to make some laser cut panels..um I mean use the cnc router ..errr... Probably only have regular tools like table saws and shapers and routers and such, so how many hours would he be in the shop and how much would it cost him to be there?
(or the newbie could buy a whole whack of tools and bits)

joys and buttons from bodroberts $30+ shipping

1/4 sheet of some kind of drawer quality ply (maple/birch/whatever) easily cost $10

so parts only we're getting up there, not counting the box,tools,time..

obviously this kit isn't for everyone, but it sure as hell is a nice compromise for a newbie between:

buying a ready made xarcade box or similar (with zero feeling of accomplishment and inferior products/materials),

and:

getting all dusty/losing fingers /buying tools if you don't have them/lot's of feelings of having "built this with my own two hands" kind of stuff we do..

it's like the snap-tite model kits you got before you were allowed to use model glue, but after you were done playing with die cast cars... it's a happy middle ground before jumping in with both feet..

I'm sure more than one person thought, "Wow, building a real arcade control panel... that's a great idea, but it would be too hard/timeconsuming/etc...i'll build one later when I have more time"  

It may not be for us, but if it brings more people to the BYOAC fold (eventually -when they see how easy it was with the kit and want to do a different CP, or a  whole cab), then I can only see it being a good thing for those people (and therefore, us as well) to have that niche filled for them.

I don't know.... more selection is better. more options is better. more people getting their feet wet, and possibly getting into building their own later - is better.

this kit isn't for us regular posters, it's for the lurkers, the ones who don't want to take the plunge yet.. the folks who can't do it from scratch for one reason or another. but still want a CP. and still want to feel like they built something themselves. accomplished something.. If i'm totally off base, if those people don't exist somewhere out there, the product will fail.  if, as I believe, there's people who do want such a product,  these guys will have it for them.

<sorry rampy, but i gotta steal this one time>
*shrug*

woooooooooo...okay take a deep breath..my time is mostly free on weekends and i am always like wasting time on this kind of stuff..the pad hacking was less then nothing for me(still is).and you really dont need take so called "CLASSES" to built a panel man...I have a $20 jigsaw and a drill and thats it...if you want you CAN do it.dont be lazy and atleast try building..its fun...you feel like you have done somethin.. :)

my point was that...you can buy already made joysticks for like $100 and was just trying to give the seller a better idea so he COULD actually sell anything ever...i dont think he is having much luck with this..i have seen other sellers like this before with "KITS"..they come and go JUST LIKE THAT because the seller didnt sell enough.

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2003, 10:11:21 am »
woooooooooo...okay take a deep breath..my time is mostly free on weekends and i am always like wasting time on this kind of stuff..the pad hacking was less then nothing for me(still is

then why is it gonna cost me $50.00 to get two hacked pads from you?

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3612;start=0

besides, WHL rocks!

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2003, 10:50:23 am »
because i wont sell your if you dont get me that.. :P.

Whatever man..let it go..lets move on  :)

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2003, 04:46:50 pm »
because i wont sell your if you dont get me that.. :P.

WTF did that mean?  

anyways, I ask again, In the thread I linked to,You wanted $25 for a hacked sidewinder. 2 hacked sidewinders would therefore be $50.  

where the hell do you get off asking for more money than an IPAC costs to sell 2 hacked pads?

(28 inputs for two pads, yet no shift - or other IPAC features- so your pads are inferior to the ipac, yet you charge more for them than an IPAC in that thread.)

If it was "less than nothing",  then why are you making $20 profit on two hacked pads?!?

Because your time is worth something, and your effort is worth something. And because the Market will bear what you charge...if no one wants what you have at the price you want, you'll lower your price or go out of business.  In that thread No one told you you were wrong to charge that price,  Why are you so pissed that someone will make a small profit on a 'ready to put together' kit?  It's  not their only product, so It won't make or break his business if no one buys them, but isn't it great to be able to have the *OPTION*.

<damnit it's so frustrating trying to reason with you- I wish this board had kill filter functions>
besides, WHL rocks!

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 07:08:27 pm »

anyways, I ask again, In the thread I linked to,You wanted $25 for a hacked sidewinder. 2 hacked sidewinders would therefore be $50.  

did you read carefully..they were supposed to be "USB" pads that cost $20 each..gravis game pad pro..i still have those 2.

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2003, 09:12:07 pm »

did you read carefully..they were supposed to be "USB" pads that cost $20 each..gravis game pad pro..i still have those 2.
you said they cost $15 each in that thread.

here's another thread where you say your time is worth money:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2348;start=0

"i can do for $20 plus whatever solder and wires you wanna send me.and ofcourse return shipping paid..means $20 for the work and you pay shiping to get em back to ya..email then we will arrange somethin"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 09:20:53 pm by Xphile »
besides, WHL rocks!

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2003, 09:47:10 pm »
whatever if you want to complain about soldering go buy the reflex joystick for 12 bucks they make it for every console and it has wires inside so no soldering necessary

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2003, 10:00:19 pm »

you said they cost $15 each in that thread.

here's another thread where you say your time is worth money:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2348;start=0

"i can do for $20 plus whatever solder and wires you wanna send me.and ofcourse return shipping paid..means $20 for the work and you pay shiping to get em back to ya..email then we will arrange somethin"

DUDE !..you wanna get off my back >:(..i dont remember what i said..just because i CAN DO THE hack doesnt mean i will do it for $5..i dont have time for that...you know..i am already lazy...

Its not even worth doin anything(hacking pads) under $20 even if it takes like 5 minutes..i dont wanna do it..ask someone else.. ;)

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2003, 10:50:22 pm »
DUDE !..you wanna get off my back >:(..i dont remember what i said..just because i CAN DO THE hack doesnt mean i will do it for $5..i dont have time for that...you know..i am already lazy...

so if someone was willing to pay a little more than they had to, to get a prehacked pad from you (or a gamecabs inc. ready to build Kit) that's ok, right?

check-mate ;)

besides, WHL rocks!

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2003, 11:17:45 pm »

Its not even worth doin anything(hacking pads) under $20 even if it takes like 5 minutes..i dont wanna do it..ask someone else.. ;)

You mean you have the audacity to actually want to be paid for your time.

See we have this little experiment going it works like this you develop a product you decide how much to charge to cover expenses you bring the product to market.  In this 'experiment' if no one buys your product you go broke if your product sells you make money.  I think we should call it uhh.. I don no... CAPITALISM.  The worlds frigin most successful system ever.

When I see SNAAAKECORP in fortune 500 I will consider business advice from you.

dhansen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 04:05:18 pm
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2003, 11:30:23 pm »
I'm hijacking this thread cause PoDunkMoFo doesn't answer his personal messages  ;)

Po, did you ever get your monitor chassis from that Victor guy in Florida?

OK, continue bickering!  ;D

Doug
..as his cold lifeless fingers lie motionless on the garage floor, all he could hear in his head was...I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME OF DONKEY KONG!!

HotDogg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2012, 03:05:41 am
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2003, 11:45:01 pm »

You mean you have the audacity to actually want to be paid for your time.

See we have this little experiment going it works like this you develop a product you decide how much to charge to cover expenses you bring the product to market.  In this 'experiment' if no one buys your product you go broke if your product sells you make money.  I think we should call it uhh.. I don no... CAPITALISM.  The worlds frigin most successful system ever.

When I see SNAAAKECORP in fortune 500 I will consider business advice from you.

;D damn I just about split open reading that post, props to you man!
-- Signatures, we don't need no stink'n signatures! --

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2003, 01:55:45 am »
I'm hijacking this thread cause PoDunkMoFo doesn't answer his personal messages  ;)

Po, did you ever get your monitor chassis from that Victor guy in Florida?

OK, continue bickering!  ;D

Doug

I never got in PM's.  Of course I don't really know how they work.  :'(

Answer is i've been super busy lately and have not had a chance to order the chassis yet.  I do however have a nice stripped 27" TV tube all ready to go.  Sorry I don't have anything for you guys yet but as soon as I do I will let you know.

dhansen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 04:05:18 pm
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2003, 08:34:29 am »
No problem, I'm getting 3 of them tomorrow!  I'll post my findings!

Doug
..as his cold lifeless fingers lie motionless on the garage floor, all he could hear in his head was...I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME OF DONKEY KONG!!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2003, 11:12:09 pm »
This kit looks like a good deal. Not the cheapest route to go but a viable alternative.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.