Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Out of Scan Range Error"  (Read 1431 times)

jcroach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
"Out of Scan Range Error"
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:53:37 am »
Ok, I feel like a total Noob.  I keep getting "Out of Scan range" errors on several games in Mame.  What causes this?  Is it a screen resoltion issue?  How do I fix it?  Help!

electricd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2011, 03:30:33 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
Re: "Out of Scan Range Error"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 10:43:19 am »
Well its because MAME is outputting resolutions your monitor doesn't support.  What type of monitor are you using?  You could always force the resolution to something like 640X480 and turn hwstretch on, but if your monitor will support the lower resolutions it will look better without the stretching...

jcroach

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:27:25 am »
I'm just using a regular PC Monitor.  I run my windows desktop at 1024x768. How do you force resolution? How would I change my monitor resolution for an individual game?

Well its because MAME is outputting resolutions your monitor doesn't support.  What type of monitor are you using?  You could always force the resolution to something like 640X480 and turn hwstretch on, but if your monitor will support the lower resolutions it will look better without the stretching...

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:41:54 pm »
Options>Default Game Options>Resolution>Size>640x480

jcroach

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 04:27:06 pm »
Options>Default Game Options>Resolution>Size>640x480

That's Mame32, right?  With regular Mame, Ican use command line switches, or changes to the mame.ini to individual game .ini file, right?  So, basically, you're forcing the software to output to a resolution that you know your monitor can handle, right?  Well, if I know my monitor can handle up to 1600x1200, can I set that as my defualt? Is there a benefit in not setting the defualt resolution or in setting it lower than the maximum allowed by the monitor? What's the benifit of using hardware stretching vs. software stretching?

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 07:29:16 am »
That's Mame32, right?  With regular Mame, Ican use command line switches, or changes to the mame.ini to individual game .ini file, right?  So, basically, you're forcing the software to output to a resolution that you know your monitor can handle, right?  Well, if I know my monitor can handle up to 1600x1200, can I set that as my defualt? Is there a benefit in not setting the defualt resolution or in setting it lower than the maximum allowed by the monitor? What's the benifit of using hardware stretching vs. software stretching?

Set the resolution to use in your \mame\mame.ini file.  If using an LCD screen use whatever mode it is designed for.  Otherwise it's up to you...lower resolutions generally perform better and look better (IMO) for low resolution games.