Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Check out my Control Panel graphic  (Read 14016 times)

NickC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2010, 08:31:05 pm
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
Check out my Control Panel graphic
« on: February 27, 2003, 12:38:10 pm »
I got the images from someone on here, and edited it.

let me know what you think, the cabinets name is GAME ON, I dunno if someone else is using it

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:Check out my Control Panel graphic
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 02:00:36 pm »
It doesn't look right, the colors of the words don't go with the pictures and the directional arrows don't coordinate either.

If the button holes are the actual button size then they look to far spaced apart and I prefer to center them as high as the joystick.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 02:24:22 pm »
I think the joystick surrounds just get in the way of the cool pics without adding anything useful.

I would condider removing those, and also consider making the "powered by mame" a bit smaller, higher, and left of center.

That would visually associate it with the "Game On" logo.

Another option would be to make "Game On" a little smaller and lower. That would place it below Spidy's foot, and make his eyes appear to be reading it. I think if you did that, you could reduce the MAME logo to about 1/2 of what it is and things would be balanced.

If the button cutouts at the top are for game functions, you might consider labeling them. Maybe small dark blue letters. That way you can read them, but they won't be distracting.

Yes, I do this for a living.

Bob

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 05:14:21 pm »
it look allright..acutally nice ;D but get rid of cyclops...i mean get a better looking picture..gamegens got the same one but better looking...IF you cant find it..i will send you...PM me...

www.gamegens.com

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 05:36:44 pm »
The buttons are 1/2 apart, leaving about 1/4 of an inch between the buttons, the spacing is modeled after the x-arcade spacing, those holes are only 1 1/8 (white circles) , just placed for cutting purposes...

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 05:41:29 pm »
I agree, fighting games had their buttons closer than that.

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 05:56:29 pm »

changed ther image slighty, made mame much smaller, moved down gameon, changed color of blue around joysticks brighter

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 08:58:15 pm »
You wouldn't happen to be a Capcom fan, would you? lol.  Anyways...I think it would look a lot better if you would tone down the words...perhaps reduce to 3 colors or so that are a little less....luminant.  The colors just don't match with the feeling of a Marvel comic book.
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 10:13:31 pm »
I would lose the words alltogether on the CP, but put them on the marquee.  You've got a lot of stuff going on with that design and I would save some of it, mostly the words, for other areas of the cab.  

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 10:36:07 pm »
if he lost the words it would be exactly like the source image haha

http://www.mamestation.com/images/artwork/control-panel-art.jpg

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 11:13:49 pm »
have you thought about putting in fading grid lines that disappear into the middle horizon?  just an idea.....

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 11:32:32 pm »
whats so funny about that bombproofplane? I think the original is a very nice piece of work, and I actually edited it a lot, all I used was the two characters...

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 03:12:27 am »
check out this thread if you haven't yet

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4669

If you keep the mame logo, it should be centered.  I think you should pick some colors out of the spidey or wolverine for the game on letters.

also, scott and ol' victor creed don't match the style and more important the colors of spidey and wolverine.  The link I posted above discusses things of that nature, matching colors and styles.

I plan on searching the comic store for some of those mass produced comics (if i decide to do a marvel theme) and if there are any books that are in decent shape, I might have to sacrifice them.  I haven't quite decided yet though, but I think its worth considering.

The other link posted in this thread should be www.gamegen.com

Best of luck, I'll be posting some cp or marquee, or something...eventually.  

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
Ok, I changed a lot, went along with the advice you all have given me, and I came up with this:

I have also heard complaints about the spacing of the buttons, what is the correct spacing buttons should be apart?

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2003, 12:28:58 pm »
1 1/2" centers are pretty popular.

How about some subtle filter effects on the background to minimise the starkness? I would get some blue in there to tie together spidey, wolverine and your capcom joystick arrows.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 12:33:38 pm by Brax »
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2003, 12:37:25 pm »
Ok, I changed a lot, went along with the advice you all have given me, and I came up with this:

I have also heard complaints about the spacing of the buttons, what is the correct spacing buttons should be apart?

Hey, why do you have a picture of a man on the left side of your posts?
I'm just kidding, man.

But seriously, in my opinion, try to get the buttons as close together as you can (if you are using Happs', you will be limited by the securing rings on the bottom).  This will relieve stress off your fingers while playing fighting games for long periods of time.  Don't worry so much about what "should" be the distance.  You are doing this as a custom job for yourself, so make sure you make it as comfortable as possible for you.

Nice looking pics.
"The Manuel"

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2003, 04:46:06 pm »
That looks good, I'd drop the directional arrows on the sticks altogether but thats just me.

Its been mentioned before but I'll mention it again. Move your buttons closer together.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Smittydc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2008, 12:48:10 am
  • because its fun!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2003, 04:56:24 pm »
I'd do a color fade in the background (eg - fading from black to purple) with the 2 colors depending on what goes with your cabinet.

The buttons really should be right next to each other -- but do what I did: print out your control panel and make a mock-up of the controls using a cardboard box to decide if you like how the layout feels.
Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night.  Set a man on fire, he's warm the rest of his life.

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2003, 09:55:13 pm »
I just want eveyone to know that the buttons represented on the art are not actual button size, but 1 1/8 inch circles where holes would be drilled, the buttons go out father then the hole by a little more then an 1/8 of an inch, almost 1/4 of an inch.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2003, 05:36:32 pm »
piece of advice from Snake...

Get rid of ---gosh-darn--- joystick hole thing logo..its just bad..i built a joystick with that logo and it looked funny.

Change the background..put somethin else(just plain black is too simple).

get rid of hulk...MAN !..hulk suck..seriouslly..sabortooth is mad cool..I CAN HELP you with the background issue..pm me if you want any cool background image..thanks..

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2003, 06:15:31 pm »
I can see where you are starting to go with this control panel image, and you're on the right track, there's just a few key elements you gotta remember when making something that's gonna look good to the eye on a control panel, since that's what you're going to be looking at every time you sit down to play on your cabinet.
    First of all, the eye adjusts much easier to leveled images, and with these images, I can tell you're going to want to level them by their heads, so like move Wolverine up slightly.  And also, notice how much further out the Hulk is than gambit, so move the Hulk and Wolverine back slightly, so that it gives it some more symmetry.
   I agree with Snake that the capcom joystick backdrops look kinda stupid, and when you print them, they'll make the CP look more.. kiddish I guess you could say.  And also I agree that a black background is not the way to go with a control panel, I've seen some Marquees pull it off, but I don't ever think a solely black background with images in front of it works well on a control panel.  The way I like the backdrop to look is like what M3talslug did, where he had the main focus in color, and sort of pops out at you, but then has the subtle comic books in grey in the background.  http://tobywong.50megs.com/
   If you want any help outside of this message board, IM me on AIM s/n: CthulhuLA  or on the MIRC chat room, I'm usually there.  I've got enough skills in photoshop to help ya think up some basics in terms of backgrounds, or to help you out in terms of design so that the control panel looks pleasing to the eye.
    -Good luck
     -CthulhuLuke

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2003, 06:55:30 pm »
First of all, the eye adjusts much easier to leveled images, and with these images, I can tell you're going to want to level them by their heads, so like move Wolverine up slightly.

Well that may be the case, but if you were a real Marvel fan you'd know that Wolverine is one short mofo and the Hulk is super tall. The size difference is expectable and I think it's suiting. I do think shifting the whole image to the right to center it more would be a good idea, though.

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • old school
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2003, 07:31:08 pm »
lol, well if you were a true marvel fan you'd know that spider man is way shorter than gambit, and that gambit full height is pretty freakin huge.  Spider man is about as tall as Wolverine, so if you wanna try to nerd me out, then that would mean wolverine and spidey would be the same height.
  -bong

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2003, 09:16:55 pm »
I moved my buttons closer together, when i cut out the cardboard with those sizes it was way to far apart, so now I have each button spaced 1 1/2 inches from eachother, worked out great, thanks for all the help so far....

Edit: Removed hulk, added cyclops, here it is, working on a background...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2003, 10:05:52 pm by NickC »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2003, 10:28:06 pm »
It's not that spiderman is short. It's his stance. (Though Gambit is pretty tall. I must admit that.) Plus Spiderman is always up in the air so you expect im to be up high. (How do you like that grade A BS?)

Speaking of Spiderman, has anybody found a way to easily expand the Modeler emulator to full screen? Or better yet, is there a switch to open it full-screen? I love that game, but it's not MAMEd. (If this isn't in the right board can someone move it?)

-Alan
(fear my parentheses)

Dr. J

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2004, 05:53:01 pm
    • DrJsArcade Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2003, 11:30:15 pm »
AllenS17:  I'm pretty sure they added it in the last version of mame (or the one before that).  The rom is "spidey," 1991 5.88mb.  They also put in GoldenAxe2, but they both have problems last I checked.  

NickC:  I like it they way the overlay is coming along.  I wouldn't change the characters from the last post, but:
1.   I would still like to see something done with the background.  
2.  Unless you really want to keep those capcom arrows, I'd say they're  an eyesore.  If you really want arrows there are better ones out there, or you could do your own.  Check the gallary at oscarcontrols.
3.  I would center the joystick so it is halfway between your top row of buttons and your bottom row.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 01:56:35 am by Dr. J »

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • old school
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2003, 01:42:54 am »
It's not that spiderman is short. It's his stance. (Though Gambit is pretty tall. I must admit that.) Plus Spiderman is always up in the air so you expect im to be up high. (How do you like that grade A BS?)

Speaking of Spiderman, has anybody found a way to easily expand the Modeler emulator to full screen? Or better yet, is there a switch to open it full-screen? I love that game, but it's not MAMEd. (If this isn't in the right board can someone move it?)

-Alan
(fear my parentheses)

Ok, so I was wrong about a few things, I admit it.  Spider Man is taller than Wolverine, but their both still freakin midgets, Wolverine is 5'3" (DAMN!), Spider Man is 5'6" (Not tall at all), and Gambit is 6'1", and Cyclops is 6'3"
http://www.angelfire.com/comics/blurr26/spider.html
http://www.scott.linkt.com.au/bios/gambit.html
http://www.scott.linkt.com.au/bios/cyclops.html
http://www.scott.linkt.com.au/bios/wolverine.html
-bong, i'm a nerd
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 01:50:01 am by CthulhuLuke »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2003, 01:48:10 am »

-Alan
(fear my parentheses)

Ok, no need to hold a grudge or anything, cause I'm in nature a nice guy, but here's my nerd side coming out:
http://www.angelfire.com/comics/blurr26/spider.html
5'6 is not tall

MAN !..LOL !...i always thought spiderman was COOL..now i dont anymore..only 5'6..damn it.. ;D
very sorry for the thread high jacking...the thread turned kinda funny..with the argument over who is taller..LOL !.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 04:56:30 pm by SNAAAKE »

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2003, 03:11:10 pm »
here are the backgrounds, tell me which works best

« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 03:16:28 pm by NickC »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2003, 04:50:27 pm »
DONT use the blue one..the second one looks more like it..also another thing,you REALLY should put someone in the middle..you know,it looks kinda empty.The third one blends in nicely too... :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 04:51:51 pm by SNAAAKE »

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2003, 05:27:39 pm »
Almost finished, I think I am going to add mortal kombat run position button for each controller......

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • old school
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2003, 07:10:30 pm »
Mmk, my honest opinion is that when you just put a bunch of characters in front of a background, it looks SOOOOOO bland to me.  Alright, first of all scale down Wolverine a little bit, because he looks wayyy bigger than the other guys.  Next move Gambit just a tad but up and a little more to the right, you could do the same with Wolverine and it'd look just right.  The heads and eyes are just about perfectly aligned though which makes it look nice.
   Next, get rid of Sabertooth in the middle, because the middle of a picture like this where you have 2 opposing teams, you wanna have something breaking them, or pushing them away, and making your eyes do a triangle effect.  Next what you want to do is either find a picture of Sentinel, Magneto, or some other very evil looking character that will be blurred in the center.  The best way to get a good looking effect for this, is to first put the center character in the middle, and make him so he takes up the entire background, then go to Filters: Blur: Radial Blur    and select Zoom Blur, and modify to your liking.  When you do this, the center of the character will be focused, but all of the rest will be pushed towards the edges.  Also, turn down the Opacity on the background character.
If you want an even more dramatic effect, duplicate each of the character layers, and line them up so they're exactly entered with the copied layer, and put a zoom blur on those background pics also, which will give the characters a real prodominant look *spelling rules*
    -Just a thought
     -CthulhuLuke
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 07:14:05 pm by CthulhuLuke »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2003, 07:28:03 pm »
it looks fine...except you gotta scale down Wolverine a little and add some extra color..like you know..jack up the colors because when you print it.its usually not that colorfull as how you are looking at it now on your computer monitor.

other then that..i say keep sabortooth..i mean magneto and other people are getting too old..you might wanna use omega red in the middle..see what fits and DONT forget about jacking up the colors on each layer.
you have this picture?
this is the one might look cool in the middle.

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2003, 09:25:14 pm »
here are the backgrounds, tell me which works best

i like the blue, good job.

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2003, 10:51:29 pm »
ok, made some adjustments, added MK run button, all eyes are level, wolverine is a little smaller, I think this is going to be it.....

not sure when I will get it printed, the image is 34" by 18", most likely print on vinyl at kinkos....

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2003, 01:01:39 am »

FINALLY :o Brax likes something...btw..i got him that blue background..now you dont like it anymore i guess.. :-[ :P.

Hey Nick,you are keeping that capcom joystick hole sticker thing...I KEEP telling you..it looks bad..did you see one of joystick with those..its ruins the looks..your prints will cost you like $35 minimum so you really dont wanna ruin it right?
get rid of those joystick hole pics NOW !.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 01:04:44 am by SNAAAKE »

NickC

• Offline Offline
  • Frosty!
    • Game On Webpage
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2003, 04:18:21 pm »
I like the blue one as well, but since snaake uses it, I won't,

As for the directional graphic, I am not sure If I am going to stay with this one,  but I am going to have one....

Brax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2003, 09:44:59 pm »

FINALLY :o Brax likes something...btw..i got him that blue background..now you dont like it anymore i guess.. :-[ :P.

Hey Nick,you are keeping that capcom joystick hole sticker thing...I KEEP telling you..it looks bad..did you see one of joystick with those..its ruins the looks..your prints will cost you like $35 minimum so you really dont wanna ruin it right?
get rid of those joystick hole pics NOW !.

You got him the background? Really? I would have never guessed, considering its your sig!!

Now I'm going to wreck it........

Negative space is just as important as your foreground images.  Regarding your final image: Now its just jam packed with artwork like many have done before you. Less is more.