Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to power something w/ a nicad camcorder battery?  (Read 3910 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
How to power something w/ a nicad camcorder battery?
« on: February 26, 2003, 05:28:55 pm »
I figure someone on here is going to have an idea of where I should look online for information on how to do this...

I have this thing that runs off of 8 AA batteries.  I want to get rid of the batteries and run it off of a Sony camcoder battery.  I know I will probably have to build some sort of little circuit to regulate voltage and current correctly...

Anyways, if anyone has any sort of online resource for someone learning how to do things like this please show me the way :)

romid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2008, 02:33:12 pm
  • MAME rox your socks!
    • Temp MAME pics
Re:How to power something w/ a nicad camcorder battery?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 06:17:55 pm »
Im thinking all you need to know are the basics:

a) how a voltage splitter works  (two resistors in series)
b) Voltage = Current * resistance
c) the configuration of the batteries (series? parallel?) to see how much voltage is being supplied

maybe you can search for "v=ir" in google (voltage=current*resistance) to learn some basic EE stuff
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 06:18:27 pm by romid »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 06:34:11 pm »
I have this thing that runs off of 8 AA batteries.  I want to get rid of the batteries and run it off of a Sony camcoder battery.  I know I will probably have to build some sort of little circuit to regulate voltage and current correctly...

I'm confused... :)

8 AA batteries = 12v    Camcorder battery = not 12v ? ???

Unless you are running LEDs or something like that, your device should only use as much current as it requires.  ie. most cases, there's no need to limit it.

Is the camera battery 12v?

RandyT

romid

• Offline Offline
  • MAME rox your socks!
    • Temp MAME pics
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 06:43:58 pm »
it's also possible that his device has (4 batteries in series) in parallel with (4 batteries in series)  which would make it 6 volts.

I think as long as the camcorder battery has a higher voltage then what the device requires, you can always use a voltage splitter to provide the device with the correct amount of voltage.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 06:51:31 pm »
it's also possible that his device has (4 batteries in series) in parallel with (4 batteries in series)  which would make it 6 volts.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use 4 C cells in this case :).

I guess it's possible, but not very likely.

So what are we powering here :) ?

RandyT
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 06:52:01 pm by RandyT »

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 07:07:41 pm »
Yeah I have not looked closely enough at the device to see what the configuration of the batteries is in.  I was just seeing if anyone here had any sort of good websites or something as resources for figuring things like this out.  I know the voltage and currents are not going to be the same, but have you seen that guy who made all the portable Atari 2600's?  And he made a portable NES and a portable SNES.  For a couple of those systems he was running the console and an LCD screen off of a regular Sony NiCad camcorder battery.  And I'm sure that he had to create some sort of circuit to make it handle the proper amount of voltage and current....wasn't sure if anyone here would have any thoughts or ideas.

romid

• Offline Offline
  • MAME rox your socks!
    • Temp MAME pics
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 07:27:34 pm »
Im thinking the most you will need to change get the correct voltage is 2 resisters.  Once you have the correct voltage going to the device, the internal resistance of the components inside will determine how much current is drawn.  If the battery can provide that much current, you should be good to go.

We'd all like to know what you're trying to power  ;)

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jadams/electronics/series.htm  This provides a decent explanation...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 07:30:15 pm by romid »

Shadowfire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2003, 09:31:20 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 09:19:45 pm »
Just FYI I would absolutely NOT use a voltage divider (2 resistors) to step down a voltage for a power supply.  The more current you need to power the device, the lower the resistance you need, and the more heat it generates and the more power it wastes.  I would definitely look into some sort of switching or even a linear power supply unit (if you need to go on the cheap).  They will regulate voltage for you, too.

Beley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2013, 09:02:37 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 12:42:30 am »
use something like a lm150 or lm350 to regulate the voltage for you, they are fairly efficient especially compaired to resistors.  But as RandyT said check if you even have to do anything before you worry about regulating the camcorder battery

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 02:46:49 am »

One of these:

http://www.5dt.com/products/pdataglove16.html

Yes yes...this is offtopic and should probably be moved into the OT area.  I just wanted to post this question here because there are so many knowledgable people here who are eager to answer questions and figure things out :)

WFH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2003, 12:23:46 pm
  • Hush up that dirty talk!
    • Star Trek Cockpit conversion
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 12:39:01 pm »
Im thinking the most you will need to change get the correct voltage is 2 resisters.  Once you have the correct voltage going to the device, the internal resistance of the components inside will determine how much current is drawn.  If the battery can provide that much current, you should be good to go.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jadams/electronics/series.htm  This provides a decent explanation...

Using resistors to divide voltage will only work if you are trying to supply voltage to a circuit that doesn't draw any current.  For all other cases, the resistance of the device that you hook up will be in parallel with one of the resistors in your voltage divider -- the voltage division across the resistors will change.

Don't take this correction as a slam against you ... I don't want BOYACr's to be misinformed.  In case you are wondering, I am an electrical engineer (Lawrence Technological University, BSEE 1991).

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 pm
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 02:03:06 pm »
Holy crap! Look at the price on that thing!  :o

What are you doing with it and where did you get it from???

Pricing
PRODUCT NAME PRODUCT DESCRIPTION PRICE
5DT Glove 16 Right-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Right-handed US$3,950
5DT Glove 16 Left-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Left-handed US$3,950
5DT Glove 16-W Right-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Right-handed, wireless US$4,450
5DT Glove 16-W Left-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Left-handed, wireless US$4,450
Unix Driver Unix Driver for 5DT Data Glove Series. US$495
USB Converter USB Converter. US$75

dag2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2020, 12:27:05 pm
  • One piece at a time.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 03:24:23 pm »
Check out this site.  This guy has used Sony camcorder batteries to power a portable atari 2600 he's designed (VERY slick).  I think you can find some usefull info here.

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/

romid

• Offline Offline
  • MAME rox your socks!
    • Temp MAME pics
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 07:02:27 pm »

Using resistors to divide voltage will only work if you are trying to supply voltage to a circuit that doesn't draw any current.  For all other cases, the resistance of the device that you hook up will be in parallel with one of the resistors in your voltage divider -- the voltage division across the resistors will change.

Don't take this correction as a slam against you ... I don't want BOYACr's to be misinformed.  In case you are wondering, I am an electrical engineer (Lawrence Technological University, BSEE 1991).

You're definitely correct.  My  mistake.  I guess I should stick to DSP applications...  Im on my way to BSEE-- graduating at the end of this school year.  :)

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 08:07:44 pm »
Jakobud,
Why do you want to power it with the camcorder battery?  If the reason is because the camcorder battery is rechargable why not buy some Ni-MH AA batteries and a charger?  Once you have these you won't have to buy AAs for a very long time.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2003, 02:19:04 am »
Holy crap! Look at the price on that thing!  :o

What are you doing with it and where did you get it from???

Pricing
PRODUCT NAME PRODUCT DESCRIPTION PRICE
5DT Glove 16 Right-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Right-handed US$3,950
5DT Glove 16 Left-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Left-handed US$3,950
5DT Glove 16-W Right-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Right-handed, wireless US$4,450
5DT Glove 16-W Left-handed 14 Sensor Data Glove: Left-handed, wireless US$4,450
Unix Driver Unix Driver for 5DT Data Glove Series. US$495
USB Converter USB Converter. US$75

Hehe....You mean, what am I doing with all FOUR of the ones I have :)  Well I bought them from 5DT (the company that makes them) and as for what am I doing with them?  Well, lets just say its in my job description....

I want to run them off something smaller like a Nicad camcorder battery to make the size of the power supply smaller.  They are wireless mocap data gloves and wearing a harness with 16 AA's in it (8 per glove) is rediculous from a size standpoint of view.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2003, 03:11:43 pm »
Do they keep your hands warm at least? ;)
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.