Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MameWah fails to launch game, help noob please!  (Read 2084 times)

MovingTarget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MameWah fails to launch game, help noob please!
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:52:01 am »
There are some games that launch just fine for me.  But others that open a dos window and says something like Mame.exe and doesn't open the game.  I think Tempest is one of them.  I'm running the latest version of mame32 and mamewah.

Any ideas?

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
Re: MameWah fails to launch game, help noob please!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 12:43:22 am »
Go to a command prompt and launch it that way.  I am sure you are missing a BIOS file and/or a parent file. .. and don't even ask what they are.  Do a little reading  :)

Don
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

MovingTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 08:24:26 am »
The games I'm having problems with launch just fine from the MAME32 program.

The window that comes up says c:\mame\mame.exe in the window header.  It beeps and sits there for about 30 seconds before disapearing.

If I'm missing something then how come it works to launch it from MAME32?  I thought MameWah just launched the program, I'm not sure why some ROMS work and others don't.  Your explaination doesn't make sense to me and isn't the BIOS the program sitting on the mobo not a program?  Are you saying there is a problem with the way MameWah is setup?

Where do I go and what am I looking for?

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:36:30 am »
You might want to indicate which Mame32 version you are using and which games you are having trouble with.

As with all emulators I add to MameWah, I first execute the required commands in a comand window to verify everything works as I like it.  Then I simply add the command sequence required into MameWah.  Even though the games work from launching them with Mame32 GUI, try to execute the game from within the command window anyway and see what happens.

Oh yeah .... this comes from the the mame FAQ located under "Documents" at the www.mame.net site:

(3) Neo Geo and many other games need their BIOS ROMs in addition to the game ROMs. BIOS ROMs are ROMs used for the system, that are common to all games on the system (often contain boot-up code, or menu processor code). For example the Neo Geo BIOS must be named NEOGEO.ZIP. For the filenames of rest of the BIOS sets, consult MAWS (http://www.mameworld.net/maws/)  (search by the resource type "BIOS"). Place these in your ROMS folder (Leave them zipped).