Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help...no sound on my nintendo vs. PCB  (Read 2812 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
Help...no sound on my nintendo vs. PCB
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:57:37 am »
Hi, i just received a nintendo vs. board and everything works great except there is no sound.   I swapped the board out with a couple of others i had and they work fine.  So i know the sound card that's hooked to the monitor is working, and the speaker works, and the volume is turned up, so i've pretty much narrowed it down to an issue with this particular PCB.  I cleaned the connector pins on the board with an eraser, and they appear to be bright and shiny.  Does anyone know if there's an area on the PCB that controls the sound or any idea where i should look on the PCB for sound issues?  Thanks!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Help...no sound on my nintendo vs. PCB
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:10 am »
Start by downloading the manual.
Try here: www.crazykong.com
NO MORE!!

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:50:58 am »
As a start when looking at the schematic, the 2A03 produces the sound, pins 1 and 2 I believe.

BTW, you always seem to have or are working on an array of Nintendo items.  Jealous and waiting for pics of all of them.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:32:03 am »
Ray:  I have the actual manual in front of me.  I am not a pro at looking at schematics by any means, and most of it is way over my head...but from what i can gather, sound is brought in on pin 20 for stereo sound and pin X for mono sound.  The pins appear to be making good contact with the wiring harness so i'm just confused on where to go from here.  I'm looking at the schematic and I have no idea how to tell what area of the board is in charge of sound.  Any advice would be appreciated.

2600-- The board in question has an RBI baseball daughter card on it.  That's where the RP2A03 processor is located.  I put the daughter card on another vs. board and the sound was fine, so I believe i have ruled out the processor chip.  As for all my nintendo projects, within the last 3 months or so, i have aquired 2 Vs. Unisystem cabs, one SMB which i plan on leaving alone as i like that game, and the other was a nonworking Vs. Goonies in terrible shape.  I repainted the cab, fixed some water damage, new tmolding and i just won some NOS sideart from ebay.  Thanks to advice on this board, i got the vs. goonies working.  But i'm not real attatched to that game, so i thought it'd be neat to have a couple different PCBs to swap in and out of that cabinet every few months.  So I started ordering other vs. PCB's from ebay and online stores.  Hence, that's where all my problems start.  Nearly every one i've ordered has had some kind of issue.  Thanks to this board, i've been able to resolve most of them...this one is my latest problem.  I admit, i've become kind of addicted to the whole 'nintendo unisystem swapping PCBs' thing, as i don't have the room for separate cabinets for all of them, so i thought this would be a nice alternative.  Here's a pic of my gameroom since you wanted to see a pic.  It's pretty full.  I have room for one more pin which i'm hoping will be a Super Mario Pinball if I ever find one for a decent price around the Nebraska area.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:49:25 am by 2PacMan »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 11:28:50 am »
Were you able to find the general "operators manual" rather than the schematics? (I couldn't find it on CrazyKong)

NO MORE!!

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
Well, i have the VS Unisystem manual, but all it says is how to transform a DK, DKJ, Popeye and MB into a Vs Unisystem.  Then it has schematics for the monitor, power supply and the vs. board.  I also have the manual for RBI Baseball (the game in question).  As far as i know, that's all that exists.  I don't think there's an operators manual for the actual generic vs. board itself (at least i've never seen one anywhere).