Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just got some cabs!  (Read 2948 times)

CurmudgeonlyBastrd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2003, 04:00:23 pm
  • All signs point to YES
Just got some cabs!
« on: February 14, 2003, 12:59:11 pm »
Hi all! I'm new to the board. I've been secretly planning a MAME cabinet for several years now but never had the time/money until now. I had both an Asteroids and Missle Command cabinet but they got unfixable water damage when I didn't have anywhere to put them at my old place. I did rescue the Asteroids marquee and its now on my wall.

Today I went down to my local amusement distributer (only one around these parts) and got a pick of several free cabinets in great shape. Some of them were too small CP-wise but a cab that I remember from an old arcade (now-defunct) that I spent many an hour in during my youth was there. It's a golden axe cab, likely converted from something else. I recognize the profile but I can't think what older game it was originally. I chose it for large control surface, nice screen angle and towards-the-back marquee (no head smacking) Anyway after the dude strips it out I'll make it the basis for my cab and refinish the sucker. I also scored an old-school horizontally oriented cocktail cab in near mint condition. It's the kind where the players are along the sides rather than the end, which isn't as cool as the more common kind but nice nonetheless.

The sad thing is, I could take ALL of the cabs if I had space. They even have an enclosed seated cockpit/driving cabinet (probably an old Pole Position) in great shape. Argh! If I had room, I would grab that bad boy and set it up exclusively for driving and aircraft games. Hmm, maybe I'll gank it anyway if I can find somewhere to store it for future use. Then I could play Outrun etc in style. But I should probably stop myself from going that far! It might almost be better to just stick a PS2 or Dreamcast into that style cab, for a little SF Rush 2049 etc. Now THAT would be a budget cab! Stick my old TV in, wire up some sound, grab a console steering wheel and rock n' roll!

The other thing is, they are throwing them away. Tempting to rescue them!

Do you guys think I should grab all 3 while I have the chance or just the upright and cocktail?

-Curmudgeonly Bastard
-Curmudgeonly Bastard

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Just got some cabs!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 01:02:30 pm »
where are you located curmudgen....?

=P  that'll influence our answer... as some of use might want to help in finding good homes for these poor cabs =P

rampy

CurmudgeonlyBastrd

• Offline Offline
  • All signs point to YES
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 01:25:11 pm »
    I am also going to order 2 Happ supers and 6 buttons per player, as well as 2 player start buttons. I have some other buttons for the rest. After researching and mulling it over I'm going to spring for the Ipac since it'll end up being cheaper and less hassle when all is said and done.

From what I gather, the horizontal microswitch buttons are to be preffered, no?

-Curmudgeonly Bastard

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:53:33 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 05:50:36 pm »
   I am also going to order 2 Happ supers and 6 buttons per player, as well as 2 player start buttons. I have some other buttons for the rest. After researching and mulling it over I'm going to spring for the Ipac since it'll end up being cheaper and less hassle when all is said and done.

From what I gather, the horizontal microswitch buttons are to be preffered, no?

That seems to be the consensus on this board.

CurmudgeonlyBastrd

• Offline Offline
  • All signs point to YES
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 10:43:20 pm »
     Now that i've really looked at it, the Keywiz appears to be a better alternative being in the US, price-wise. Of course the Ipac has had more battle-testing on the proving grounds, but the Keywiz looks like a solid unit and being poor every penny counts!
 ::)

-Curmudgeonly Bastard

djsting

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2015, 08:30:06 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
    • My MAME Project
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2003, 09:24:36 pm »
Yes, Crum...where are you located?  Others near you will likely be interested!