Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New LightGun Hack Possiblilty  (Read 3424 times)

PacManFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2005, 12:18:56 pm
    • Kymaera Home Page
New LightGun Hack Possiblilty
« on: February 13, 2003, 01:15:28 pm »
Hey everyone,
PacManFan here.
I was shopping at a place called "Ollies" yesterday. Ollies sells overstocks and buy-out of other companies. I can across something in the toy section that turned my head.

http://www.kidsurplus.com/kidsurplus/s002.html

This is called the Tonka Power Tools CD-ROM Playset.
Basically, it is a light gun that plugs into the gameport and VGA connectors on a pc.
When I got home, I was disappointed to find out why I had gotten such a great deal on it (2$). The CD rom was missing. I tried for about an hour to get Win98SE to recognize it as a joystick, but with no luck.
I think this toy has great hacking potential to become a MAME lightgun.
If someone else can find it in the stores and post a driver for it, That would be great.
I'll keep you all posted on my progress with it.
PacManFan.
All Hail Smezznar! The Giant purple centipede of Omnicron 5. Regail him with your odiferous offerings of onion powder!

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Re:New LightGun Hack Possiblilty
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 01:32:25 pm »
I saw one of these at Kmart

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 01:49:11 pm »
I don't know if it will work but try adding it as a mouse. Since that is essentially what it is.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 01:51:17 pm »
I don't know if it will work but try adding it as a mouse. Since that is essentially what it is.

yeah but it connects to the *gameport* which probably necessitates some sort of special driver/tsr type applet...

*shrug*

rampy

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 02:13:02 pm »
http://www.ina-support.com/faq/tonkapower_pc.asp  have alook at this pacmanfan, it might show you some insight.

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 12:19:04 am
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 02:18:11 pm »
Check infogrames (the publisher) website. You can get a replacement cd for 8.50 with proof of purchase.

PacManFan

• Offline Offline
    • Kymaera Home Page
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 02:30:18 pm »
Yeah, I've been to that site. I was hoping for a driver download or a patch. They had a faq file that said to re-read the manual. I'm thinking about buying another one on-line for 14$, That way, I'll have 2 guns and the installation software. I'm in the process of writing some generic joystick read code right now. I'm hoping that I can access the lightgun values (x,y) axises through code.
      On second thought, maybe I'm going about this wrong, I haven't even tried it in MAME yet, I just spent a lot of time last night trying to get windows to recognize it as a joystick. I'm going to try it in MAME tonight and also see if I can read some values from it directly via a simple VB App.
More info later.
-PacManFan

http://www.ina-support.com/faq/tonkapower_pc.asp  have alook at this pacmanfan, it might show you some insight.
All Hail Smezznar! The Giant purple centipede of Omnicron 5. Regail him with your odiferous offerings of onion powder!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:17:34 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 03:40:40 pm »
Yeah, I've been to that site. I was hoping for a driver download or a patch. They had a faq file that said to re-read the manual. I'm thinking about buying another one on-line for 14$, That way, I'll have 2 guns and the installation software. I'm in the process of writing some generic joystick read code right now. I'm hoping that I can access the lightgun values (x,y) axises through code.
      On second thought, maybe I'm going about this wrong, I haven't even tried it in MAME yet, I just spent a lot of time last night trying to get windows to recognize it as a joystick. I'm going to try it in MAME tonight and also see if I can read some values from it directly via a simple VB App.
More info later.
-PacManFan

I just checked this out.  Have you been able to get it to do *anything* yet to see if it works like you think it will?

The reason I ask is because I saw the picture of this being used, and it looks like the child is holding it very close to the screen.  If the optics are expecting this proximity, it might not work all that well when pulled away.  It might be more like a light pen than a light gun.

RandyT

PacManFan

• Offline Offline
    • Kymaera Home Page
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 03:48:08 pm »
RandyT,

You're right, it's more like a light pen than a light gun. The light diode is recessed about 1/2 inch from the front with a small plastic tube surrounding it. I have another hacked sega light gun that I was trying to get to work under windows, with no luck, I'm planning on taking the optics from that and a tube to stick on the front of the Tonka device to see if I can extend the range. The first step for me is getting thedevice to work at all.
-PacManFan

More info later.
-PacManFan

I just checked this out.  Have you been able to get it to do *anything* yet to see if it works like you think it will?

The reason I ask is because I saw the picture of this being used, and it looks like the child is holding it very close to the screen.  If the optics are expecting this proximity, it might not work all that well when pulled away.  It might be more like a light pen than a light gun.

RandyT

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 05:17:57 pm »
if you could get the Tonka thing to work then you could use it as a sort of interface and simply wire a console light gun to the optics..  Just put the tonka guts in a project box or leave it as is and run wires from the trigger and optics to an external plug.. I would feel a little rediculous playing Area 51 and shooting bad guys with a plastic power tool ;D