Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet Opinions for a larger TV?  (Read 1619 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Arcade Cabinet Opinions for a larger TV?
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:20:47 pm »
Well, I have been working on designing a cab for a while, just ordered my LCDTopgun, have all the controls, etc.  Now, I was basing it around a 20" Hitachi Superscan PC monitor I have currently, but now I also have the option of using a 30" Sanyo TV.  I like the PC monitor for the clarity obviously, but the real estate of the TV is hard to resist.  SO, what I wanted to ask is for opinions on a cab design that would hold that large of a TV set, still give the apropriate distance away from the TV, be playable with the lightgun, and still take a minimum amount of floorspace as this is going into the dining room of an apartment.  Any opinions appreciated...

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Arcade Cabinet Opinions for a larger TV?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:28:37 am »
Just modify any existing plan so that it will fit, on most plans I think it'll only be an increase of around 3''

xonix_digital

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2016, 04:36:05 pm
  • I am the Milky-Way Commander!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:16:15 am »
Here you go!   ;D

-=XD=-

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 01:08:44 pm »
I appreciate the input...  Thing is, I thought about modifying an existing plan but some people have misgivings about tilting a TV that size, and also I'm not sure if that might still be a bit too close to be to the screen.  As far as the diagram Xonix, I had thought about making a cab similar to that (Dynamo 33" cab) but it does take a good chunk of floorspace...

Sigh...  As much as I'd like to use that TV, I'm just not sure I'll have the room...

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »
I don't think it's necessary.

I use a defender box, and up close, 19" is just fine for most games... especially if you're using a monitor rather than a TV.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:28:25 pm »
I don't think it's necessary.

I use a defender box, and up close, 19" is just fine for most games... especially if you're using a monitor rather than a TV.

Well, I do also want to be able to play gun games on it, and just think that 20" might be a little small for that...

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 01:31:38 pm »
Why do people have misgivings about tilting a tv that size?  Because of the weight?  Just make sure its well supported and don't tilt it too much.  Most cabinets are designed for 27'' TVs and its fine tilting those, I can't imagine a 30'' would make much of a difference.  But then I've never tried it, so maybe the others are right.  If you don't want to tilt it then a showcase cab is your only option, in which case it will take up quite a bit of floor space.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 01:37:09 pm »
Why do people have misgivings about tilting a tv that size?  Because of the weight?  Just make sure its well supported and don't tilt it too much.  Most cabinets are designed for 27'' TVs and its fine tilting those, I can't imagine a 30'' would make much of a difference.  But then I've never tried it, so maybe the others are right.  If you don't want to tilt it then a showcase cab is your only option, in which case it will take up quite a bit of floor space.

Which is kinda what I was thinking, but was hoping someone might have an idea I hadn't come up with...  :)

Also working on a possible design like the showcase, but where you can retract the CP up against the monitor pedistal when not in use...

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 03:59:20 pm »
I went with a 27" Tv so when I placed it in the machine, the width of the machine could still roll through a doorway to a bedroom or something if I had to move it around.   This way I did not have to disassemble the cabinet after it is built to remove the TV before moving the cabinet.

* you can find a good 27" TV in your local newspaper classifed ads for about $50 to $100 ..... or at least there are many around me from time to time.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 07:20:28 pm »
I went with a 27" Tv so when I placed it in the machine, the width of the machine could still roll through a doorway to a bedroom or something if I had to move it around.   This way I did not have to disassemble the cabinet after it is built to remove the TV before moving the cabinet.

* you can find a good 27" TV in your local newspaper classifed ads for about $50 to $100 ..... or at least there are many around me from time to time.

While that's true, I already have the 31", I am replacing it with a 32" I am getting from a friend and figured I'd just move the 31" to an arcade cab...