Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is it true I can't use a lightgun since my monitor doesn't have V and H sync?  (Read 2786 times)

vetteguy112233

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2012, 12:15:24 am
I had to twist the cables together for my V and H sync and thought I read somewhere that a lightgun, like ACT-LABS will not work without individual wires for the V and H sync.

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
the new usb is supposedly able too but not the older versions "ray gun style"

the lcd topgun will also work.

vetteguy112233

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2012, 12:15:24 am
I finally received an email from ACT-LABS, here is what they said:

The PC USB light guns require the H and V sync signals from the VGA connection.  This is how the light gun tracks where it is pointing with the use of these signals.
If the light gun can intercept these two separate signals then it will work, if it doesn't receive these signals then it will not work for you application.

So apparently if you don't have both wires, then you cannot use the guns from ACT-LABS.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
This whole "twist the wires" together thing is somewhat bogus to begin with.  It only works due to an academic curisity (N-channels tend to be stronger than P-channels on the same process, that or some sync outputs are open-drain to being with) anyway.  The proper way to make composite sync is to XOR the two sync signals together, minding polarity.  If you take active low ("negative") horizontal sync and XOR it with active high ("positive") vertical sync, you get negative composite sync.  Hooking two CMOS outputs together is actually a kinda bad thing to do and tends to eventually result in dead output drivers (though in practice that seems to take a rather long time).

Why did I bring all that up?  Well, if you do it "the right way" using a 7486 (or similar: 74LS86, 74HCT86, 74F86, 74S86), you'll have both composite sync (at the output) and separate sync (at the inputs) available.  This way, you can feed your monitor and light gun what they want.