Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rasta-cade  (Read 1937 times)

Ninja Supremacist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2008, 03:17:05 pm
  • I, alone, am the Master.
Rasta-cade
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:36:54 am »
Using Randy T's GP-Wiz32, DreamArcade buttons and a couple of super 8s, I created my controller.

The wiring is pretty good... that's a biased opinion, of course.

I didn't bother with a bottom panel for the first round.

It's a fighter stick measuring 28"w by 12"d by (3"h front, 4.5h back)  weighing about 15 pounds.  The controller is painted black with several coats of urethane.  It's taken a beating over the holidays so it's certainly durable.

After years of using MAME controllers with keyboard encoders, the GP-Wiz is awesome for a few reasons:

1) As a gamepad (hence GP), it doesn't matter if your guests get excited and start playing with the controller.  There are no keys to trip.  Let the joy ensue.  It's a bit defeating to the "indestructible" argument when nobody is allowed to touch the controller until a given game is ready.

Ok... so that's only one reason but it's a good reason.

Fears that MAME is difficult to control without a keyboard encoder are unfounded.  MAME32 v 100 had no issues with my GP-Wiz after properly mapping out the user interface controls.

Guess this makes me a yellow belt... more to come.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 12:24:42 pm by Ninja Supremacist »
Here's to those who say they do...
Here's to those who say they don't...
Here's to those who say they will
And later decide they won't.

dmsuchy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2009, 09:00:08 pm
  • I kill communist llamas for fun.
Re: First shot goes in...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 02:40:32 pm »
Clean wiring.

GreenKnight37

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2023, 01:17:16 pm
  • Creating a cab, one Megaman vector at a time
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 04:03:34 pm »
Looks pretty nice.

Can two people fit comfortably at the panel?  And is this just solely for use with the computer, or are you eventually going to strip the parts and incorporate it into a full cabinet?

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 08:21:04 pm »
Good job creating a strain relief for the USB cord.  One really neat thing about the GP-Wiz 32 is that it's incredibly easy to verify that the buttons and joysticks are working in the Gamepad Control Panel.

Kudos to You.

Ninja Supremacist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2008, 03:17:05 pm
  • I, alone, am the Master.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 03:15:21 pm »
Two players being comfortable was my primary objective because it's a social piece.

To illustrate the point of dimensions, the x-arcade is 24 inches wide on top but only 20 inches wide in the chassis.  24 is, theoretically, good enough if the chassis is 22 or 23 inches wide.  My chassis is 26 inches wide.  I kept the depth as shallow as possible while maintaining a decent slope.  Fits nicely on the desk.  Works like a charm.

I still haven't found a use for the black buttons (#7 and #8)... it seemed like a good idea in the beginning but now I think I should have placed all four in the center for various MAME functions.  Putting the coin and player buttons with each player instead of the more traditional center top has been the best choice I made with this.

Since it takes only a few days to build a controller, I'm probably going to mount this into a cabinet or sell it on eBay.  I have some ideas for improving this like translucent competition buttons and steel handles.  My next controller would be seven buttons per player instead of eight.  Maybe a dedicated 4 way with the extra space available.  I'm tempted to go with two 49 Way sticks/GP49.
Here's to those who say they do...
Here's to those who say they don't...
Here's to those who say they will
And later decide they won't.