Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New idea for restrictor plates!  (Read 3941 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
New idea for restrictor plates!
« on: April 17, 2002, 11:40:12 pm »
Check this out: http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html  It's the new sticks at Ultimarc.  Looks like the Japanese have come up with a different "spin"  on restrictors.  I'm not exactly clear on how this works, but it switches from 8-way to 4-way with a simple twist of the wrist.  One of the other sticks has a rotating switch mount that changes to Q-bert mode as well!  I wonder if these restrictors are available separately, and if they'll fit on our Happ sticks somehow.  I also wonder if we could make the bottoms of the Happ sticks (which are removable plates) could be hacked to rotate?!  Gives me a lot of ideas!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: New idea for restrictor plates!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 02:58:34 pm »
I mentioned this as an idea when the restrictor plates where being talked about.

the main trouble is that you can't change them without opening up your cabinet.  But for some cabinets, it would make for a decent solution.

I'm a little worried about the joysticks under them.  They seem like another company that has tried to copy all the happs joysticks.  I worry about quality and feel.  and they might be better since they have more metal.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 07:50:28 pm »
There was one design (the T-stick) that had a lever on the front that rotated the restrictor.  Seems like you could attach an extension that went out the front or the top of your CP for easy access.

I've been looking closer, and the design seems simple.  Unfortunately, I'm more interested in switching my 4-way from straights to diagonals, for Qbert and Zaxxon.  The "E-stick" (which looks an awful lot like the Happ Universal) does this, but doesn't have the classic ball-top I want for Pac-Man.  On the other hand, my fingers start to hurt on those ball tops after awhile, so maybe it's not so bad...  Maybe I'll replace my Ms. Pac replacement with one.

My other job...

Garvv

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2002, 07:28:30 am »
The Hapss Universal 1UP mentioned has had this easy switching restrictor plate for years; the japanese models simply made it spring loaded.  Here's a pic, the restrictor plate is on the bottom:
http://www.happcontrols.com/images/50/50604800_exploded.gif

The plate is attached to the joystick base by 4 screws, each screw has a "channel" which allows for rotation of the plate.  You can loosen the screws securing the plate, and literally switch with the flick of the wrist.   Given the joystick's design, it will not rotate from 8 to 4way or in between during normal play.   It can be set at all angles in between 8 and 4 way, which means it can easily be used for q-bert.  

I hacked a univeral into a trigger stick via oscar's instructions (although bought an actual arcade handle -$10 from bob roberts- instead of an old joystick, well worth it), and now have a trigger stick that can switch from 8-way to 4-way in no time.  Nice for playing both Tron and Assault!

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2002, 04:05:31 pm »
Does the switch plate also rotate on the universal?

My other job...

Garvv

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2002, 06:47:25 pm »
No it doesn't, so I guess the restrictor plate wouldn't be useful for q-bert after all.  But, given how the universal mounts (basically just like a push-button), you could easily loosen the push-buttonish nut holding it to the panel, rotate the entire joystick 45 degrees, then tighten it again.  With the restrictor plate set to 4-way, that'd give you perfect q-bert play.

They're nice sticks, both with regards to feel and versatility, but don't look all that much like traditional arcade joysticks.  Their main eyesore is the large square plastic base which is visible above the control panel.

Andy warne

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2002, 06:52:24 am »
It's true that the idea of the restrictor plate which can be adjusted is not new. But I do think the idea of being able to rotate the plate on-the-fly without removing any screws is new (and it was not the Japanese that thought of this as I told them this is what I wanted and they did a mod)
The E-Stik is very similar to the one that Happ used to sell, (I think they don't any more) and comes from the same manufacturer. Remenber that Happ are a re-seller mainly, and don't originate many products.there is no copying being done here!