Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Arcade in English  (Read 799 times)

Matthew Fisher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2018, 10:51:11 am
    • Matt's homepage
Star Wars Arcade in English
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:30:50 am »
Now that SWA is 100% functional (yeah!), does anybody know how to get it to play in English?  I'm guessing that it might be a dip switch or a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out how this might be accomplished...  The test menu doesn't have anything that looks promising.  I've only ever seen one ROM set, and I know it plays in English because I remember playing it like that.  TIA.   

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
Re: Star Wars Arcade in English
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 10:05:07 am »
Excuse my ignorance - what version of MAME does Star Wars Arcade work on ? Or is this another emulator ?

I checked the MAWS database and they claim to be up to date (.102u1) but they say SWA is "unplayable" still.

Matthew Fisher

• Offline Offline
    • Matt's homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 11:46:37 am »
It DOES come up, and runs at a solid 60 FPS on my 3.0 gHz Athlon.  I think I'm using mame 32 v.101.  I can check for sure when I get home tonight.  I'll admit that I don't know about the status lists; I read someone posting somewhere about playing it, so I went home and tried it and it worked. 

You do get the warning about how it has no sound, but it does, except the speech (and some text) is in Japanese.  Admiral Akbar sounds pretty funny, I must admit.   :)  It could be that the colors are a little off or you don't get all the sounds, but, if that's the case, I can't tell.  It has been about ten years since I actually played this game in an arcade, after all. 

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 05:04:15 pm »
Might even try upgrading to .101 if thats the case ....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:13:20 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:57:52 am »
It was my understanding that swa was japanese only.  (Correction, very few were english).

From klov:

"The sound test mode reveals that the voice samples are available in Japanese as well as English.
Allegedly, only about a dozen or so were imported into the US."

In other words, this is the japanese dump and it may be hard or impossible to find an english one.

Matthew Fisher

• Offline Offline
    • Matt's homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 11:18:01 am »
I asked about the very same KLOV entry over at alt.games.mame and right away about several people remembered seeing a total of about seven or eight.  I seem to recall that the Block Party in Indianapolis had two until it shut down a few years ago...  :'(  It would seem that the export estimate of twelve might be a little low...

Having said that, I can live with Japanese speech, but I can't seem to get the darn controls to work.  I think I'm choosing Pilot (the one player option) but something isn't working.  Maybe it isn't really playable after all, but most likely an operator problem.   :)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2020, 10:27:05 am
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 12:12:21 pm »

Now, maybe I'm thinking of Trilogy... but I would swear I saw one of those in an arcade at the Natick Mall over the summer.

erictrumpet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 11:42:39 pm »
EDIT -- I originally was thinking we have an English-speaking SWA here in Nickel City arcade north of Chicago but in fact it's SW Trilogy Arcade, different game.

Eric.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 11:44:29 pm by erictrumpet »