Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problems with new options -nodisclaimer / -nogameinfo in Mame .63? Read this!  (Read 3537 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
In the "whatsnew.txt" packaged with the new MAME .63b, it states:

Changes to the main program:
----------------------------

- New options -nodisclaimer and -nogameinfo to disable startup screens.
  Warnings about incorrect emulation are not disabled. [Aaron Giles]

This appeared to mean that we no longer had to recompile a custom build of Mame to get rid of the "press any key/OK" screens when starting games!  Great!  Well, for the last few days, I've been killing myself trying to get these to work, to no avail.  Just a nice little error message every time I tried.  Checked all my paths to make sure I was using the right MAME executable with my FE, etc, etc, etc...

Finally, I went into a DOS prompt, and tried "mame -showusage" to see if the command was maybe entered prematurely into the "whatsnew" before it was actually supported.  There, right at the bottom of the list was the answer: it wasn't "-nodisclaimer",  it was "-skip_disclaimer"!  A significant little typo there on the part of the Mame team...  Well, no harm done!

SOOO...if you've been having this same problem, try adding -skip_disclaimer and -skip_gameinfo in the additional command line options for your favorite FE, and you'll go right into your chosen game with no further ado.

BTW, the easiest way to do this for Emulaxian is to add the following to your femamecloptions.txt:

10|mame|-skip_disclaimer -skip_gameinfo

This means that any game that uses MAME as the emulator (i.e. it has "mame" as the 10th field in the gamelist entries) will get the extra commands "-skip_disclaimer -skip_gameinfo" when it runs.  Hey )p( I'm finally getting the hang of this!  ;D

Just FYI...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 11:58:30 pm by 1UP »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

)p(

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend

;D

putting this in mame.ini will also work:
skip_disclaimer         1
skip_gameinfo    

by the way see some post below of a problem with games that show a not working correctly screen. if you have runmethod set to hidden it will look like the game is not launched and the fe hangs because that disclaimer is hidden. runmethod normal will solve this but then you get the ugly commandline boxes. So compiling your own is still needed for that....

peter

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
hmm, didn't have any problems with that.  Runmethod is hidden but still ok...

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH

;D

putting this in mame.ini will also work:
skip_disclaimer         1
skip_gameinfo    

by the way see some post below of a problem with games that show a not working correctly screen. if you have runmethod set to hidden it will look like the game is not launched and the fe hangs because that disclaimer is hidden. runmethod normal will solve this but then you get the ugly commandline boxes. So compiling your own is still needed for that....

peter

Shame they don't put the warning of bad dumps into the same part which warns of bad colors etc.  Wouldn't cause this problem then...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:59:32 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
I'll compile a version of lzmame soon.  Assuming I can find the new code that is.  :)