Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [OT.. sorta] What I've been doing  (Read 1118 times)

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
[OT.. sorta] What I've been doing
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:24:46 pm »
Some of you know... I always harp on everybody about their design stuff... and I whine about always being busy. Thought some of you might be interested in *what* i'm always busy on. So, I finally launched a project I've been working on for about 3 months, and I might actually be on the road to a little R&R... Unfortunately, client changes delayed this launch a few weeks... I had hoped it would launch with the movie, but it's up now, at least. This happens alot with our movie stuff. It's weird... they know the movie is coming out for years... but the companies don't get their sheeit together till the last few monthss.

Anyway, I'm belaboring...

We designed and developed the RRTS flash game for Doom: the movie, and it's now launched and live. We didn't do the whole site for doom, which is a really cool site, btw... that site took about 40 people months to do. Our little game took a few guys a few months sitting around in the dark in their underwear to do, but it's still pretty cool anyway.

So if you want to check it out, go to doommovie.com and select "special features > rrts basic training" It'll ask you for a pass code to get in (it's revealed when you first get to th main page of the site... shhhh... it's 9041... don't tell that I told)

When they came to us, I thought it would be a simple game. Toungue in cheek they said. They wanted 3 basic training modes.. medic, shooting, and GPS, and a final game that incorporated elements of the basic training into it. They didn't really have any ideas about gameplay, or how the whole thing would work, so we pretty much came up with all of the functionality and design. It got kind of elaborate for a flash game.

The best and worst that I can say is that It's flash, and that has basic limitiations... big processor issues.. but we managed to do quite a bit with what we had. We basically came up with a final level game that involves shooting, with a little bit of arcade / maze game type stuff, and some other fun bits thrown in. We had to keep it kind of simple (and easy) but in the end, I'm pretty happy with it. In typical designer fashion, now that it's done, I sorta hate it, but I think it's good too. In the end, for all of its little faults, and the things I know we could have done better, I have to take a step back and think... "it's just a dumb flash game" enjoy playing a bit and move on.

Anyway, take a look. If you get a kick out of it, let me  know. If not... keep it to yourself, cuz I ain't gonna change nuthin on it now :laugh: It'll probably be pretty easy to you guys.. it's SUPER easy for me know, but it might be fun for a minute or two.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

GreenKnight37

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2023, 01:17:16 pm
  • Creating a cab, one Megaman vector at a time
Re: [OT.. sorta] What I've been doing
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:21:22 am »
Well I've got to say, those are some nice graphics overall.  Pretty slick design.  If you do more flash work, either business or just fun games, post up some links to them!

Now I've just got to get myself out to theatres to see the movie at some point...

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:07:13 am »
Also did a game last year for Shaun of the Dead. (not the site... just the game on the site)

http://www.shaunofthedeadmovie.com/main.html

You have to wait awhile for the nav to load on the bottom. We did the "don't mess with my pint" game. The secret to that game is to make sure you scroll left and right to see the whole bar. Most people don't get that. We told them there'd be usability issues with that... but,... what client wants, client gets.

Mark70

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:29:16 pm »
Everything looks nice, but man there's a lot of loading and waiting associated with that site.

I guess our ambition to do extrordinary things is exceeding the ability of our technilogical infrastructure.  Or, we need faster internet for short.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 01:50:10 am »
Yeah, there's a lot of loading.

My personal perspective is that simpler is better. Like modern 3d platforms... just cause it's fancy don't make it good. Many of my sites are fancy, but that doesn't make them better.

Clients like it and want it... that's what I get paid for, so I do it. Maybe one of these days I'll do something for myself.

Nah....