Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: You can't win *Trivia*  (Read 2605 times)

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
You can't win *Trivia*
« on: October 14, 2005, 10:53:45 pm »
These questions will be added to.  These have already been asked, but I'll give you guys some that are currently being asked as well.  It's a radio trivia contest in my area, and they have a slew of prizes to the person who answers 5 questions correctly.  One of the prizes are CD's from someplace, and each day they don't have a winner, they add a CD to the jackpot. 

1)  Because of it's moderately dense atmosphere and low gravity, what astronomical body is considered the easiest object to land on in the entire solar system, excluding Earth?

2)  What do Peruvian Boobies eat mostly?

3)  What city has the longest borders, making it the largest city in the world?

4)  Who said, to which President, "How is the horse?"

5)  In what championship game did a score of 23 win the participant second place and a denim jacket.

6)  What is 6 1/2 miles by 60 feet wide?

7)  What did Peter Goldmark get for free?

8 )  What was at 10 degrees longitude and 140 degrees latitude?

9)  If you live here, your life expectancy would be 48 if you're a man, and 52 if you're a woman. Where are you?

10)  Who is the situp champ of the 27th century?

11)  What restaurant was required by law to serve the same meal every day, and what was the meal?

12)  This was originally developed as wall paper, it is now known for a completely different use. What is it?

13)  The 1st one of these in the United States was in Wingate, Indiana. What was it and who built it?

14)  What organization's requirements for joining was a public school education, residence in the US and 50 cents?

15)  What famous vegetarian was especially fond of artichoke hearts in cream sauce?

16)  What am I likely to do with a compound made of Hydrated Silica, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate Poloxamer 407, Titanium Dioxide, and Carnuba Wax?

17)  What did Sam Franklin bowl on his wedding night?

18)  Burgess Meredith played Peewee the tail gunner.  Who was his pilot?

19)  What critter has fingerprints just like us?

20)  Give us the license identification of the Cruising Vessel.

That's all for now.  These are all previously asked questions from completed games.  Next you get some questions for the current game.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 10:59:00 pm by DrewKaree »
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

G@M3FR3@K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2015, 12:20:28 am
Re: You can't win *Trivia*
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:28:36 pm »
I only figured out a few of the answers to these (mostly by googling them).  Will add more, as I figure them out.

2) Peruvian Anchovies (Engraulis ringens).
 "Peruvian Boobies feed on more than 18 different fish species and one squid species, showing a strong preference for Peruvian Anchovies Engraulis ringens, the most abundant pelagic fish in the Peruvian Upwelling System."

19) Koala.
"The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene."

sc1103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2020, 08:37:35 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:32:47 pm »
I only figured out a few of the answers to these (mostly by googling them). Will add more, as I figure them out.

2) Peruvian Anchovies (Engraulis ringens).
 "Peruvian Boobies feed on more than 18 different fish species and one squid species, showing a strong preference for Peruvian Anchovies Engraulis ringens, the most abundant pelagic fish in the Peruvian Upwelling System."

19) Koala.
"The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene."

lol theres a site out there with every answer to these questions but i wont post it  :angel:

G@M3FR3@K

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2015, 12:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:53:38 pm »
lol theres a site out there with every answer to these questions but i wont post it  :angel:

Yeah, a quick google search will bring up the site you mentioned!  Was just bored as hell, and wanted to see if i could figure some of them out on my own (with Google, of course!).   ;)

duffjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2012, 05:50:14 pm
  • There is no dinosaur name ending in PUSS.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:52:01 am »

19) Koala.

i'm taking the next plane to koala land.  with my history of crime, i should have the perfect hiding place.

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 01:59:30 am »

19) Koala.

i'm taking the next plane to koala land.  with my history of crime, i should have the perfect hiding place.
Egads no. If you come over, they'll all want to.  :police:
Now in a tasty new flavour.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 10:37:43 am »
Nah - if duffjr comes over, nobody will want to  :o

AC.

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2015, 03:55:07 pm
    • MAME console
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 08:23:02 pm »
Cool questions.  In 6th grade, (more than 20, less than 30 years ago) every Friday, we students would get 10 questions similar, and obscure, like these.   I remember spending friday evenings at this place that was called a, uhhh, "library".   I would look up answers in these giant cabinets with tiny card-sized drawers -- to find books with the answers.  Has the Internet made us lazy? or more informed?

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 10:58:37 pm »
12)  This was originally developed as wall paper, it is now known for a completely different use. What is it?

Formica

16)  What am I likely to do with a compound made of Hydrated Silica, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate Poloxamer 407, Titanium Dioxide, and Carnuba Wax?

Ain't that chewing gum? :)

No, and no, but what I'll do is give the answers upon a guess that I'd deem "close", unless you want to go to the site those guys are talking about.

The reason I'm posting 'em is to see if we as a collective can come up with some of the answers.

The wallpaper thing is (drum roll, please) Bubble Wrap

The list of ingredients is.....Toothpaste

Good job on the Peruvian Boobies and the Koala, both correct answers!  Excellent work!

lol theres a site out there with every answer to these questions but i wont post it :angel:

The only site that's out there that would have all of these answers would be the site for the radio station I listen to.  I tried to pick the ones that would be more ambiguous and less easy to Google, like something VERY specific that would ONLY give a search result as the website. 

Like I said, I'll also be giving some of the current questions, which WON'T be on that website until someone answers five of the 25 possible questions, so this is an exercise in working your brain a bit, just a warmup before I give the current questions.

duffjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2012, 05:50:14 pm
  • There is no dinosaur name ending in PUSS.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 12:00:38 am »
1 and 3 seem like the only ones that can be reasoned.  most of the others can only be answered by memorizing the questions and answers.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 12:13:59 am »
There are even harder questions than these I listed.  It's why they named the game "You Can't Win".  They used to use the same five questions throughout, but people started to be able to solve 'em a lot faster, so they updated the setup and renamed it "You....uh....STILL Can't Win" and went to a set of 25 questions, of which, any 5 can be asked, and only answering all 5 asked wins.  It's still not stopped folks from winning, but it's made memorizing (actually, writing down the answers so you've got 'em when a question is finally answered) them a requisite.

Here's an example of some of the other more impossible questions that they've given.....you'll see what I mean when you see the answer....and this'll probably give you something to Google that will lead you to the site these are from:

Q - In what one place can you find these license plates - Texas KOBA, Rhode Island TF-208, North Dakota AUR-643

A -  Applebee's Restaurant at 2053 S. Alma School Road - Mesa, AZ

Even memorization wouldn't help you.  How would you EVER expect that to be a question you would be asked at ANY time in your life?  Like any trivia game, it's all just useless information rattling around that somehow sticks in our gray matter....but that's why folks like trivia games.  Something to keep the mind working.  Same reason folks do crossword puzzles.  I love 'em, it bugs my wife just to see me DOING one, much less try to do one herself.  She's got her own mind exercises I think are nuts ;D

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 09:39:06 am »

1)  Because of it's moderately dense atmosphere and low gravity, what astronomical body is considered the easiest object to land on in the entire solar system, excluding Earth?

Probably one of Jupiter's moons. I'll guess Titan, I think that one has a pretty dense atmosphere, and it's also larger than some of the smaller planets.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 12:42:29 pm »

Probably one of Jupiter's moons. I'll guess Titan, I think that one has a pretty dense atmosphere, and it's also larger than some of the smaller planets.

-S

You have the moon correct, and the planet incorrect, at least according to what is listed as the answer accepted as correct.

Saturn's moon Titan.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 12:49:29 pm »
Current questions for the game.  Also, since the payout is in CD's and various other prizes, if I actually get through and you have provided an answer that the question master has listed as correct (their rules, not mine) to any of the currently asked questions that are IN THIS POST ONLY, I will be paying out 5-10 CD's, and more if the CD jackpot gets ginormous.  I will be providing any correct answers given during the show.  Now, on with the questions:

100)  How many horsepower does the average human body produce?

101)  What is an annular solar eclipse?

102)  What is a dipneedle?

103)  What is a quark?

104)  What does the 3rd law of thermodynamics state?

105)  List the colors of a rainbow, starting from the outer arc to the inner arc

106)  What is unique about the Keck telescope in Hawaii?

107)  What is a vector?

108)

109)

110)

111)

112)

113)

114)

115)

116)

117)

118)

119)

120)

121)

122)

123)

124)

125)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 11:23:56 am by DrewKaree »

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 12:50:36 pm »
Presently accepted as the correct answer for:

105)  List the colors of a rainbow, starting from the outer arc to the inner arc

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

106)  What is unique about the Keck telescope in Hawaii?

The mirror is composed of 36 hexagonal segments that work in concert as a single piece of reflective glass.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 12:28:36 am by DrewKaree »

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 12:58:22 pm »
My answer to:

103)  What is a quark?

Any of a group of six elementary particles having electric charges of a magnitude one-third or two-thirds that of the electron, regarded as constituents of all hadrons.

102)  What is a dipneedle?

A compass used to show that the actual magnetic pole is far below the surface of the Earth.

104)  What does the 3RD law of thermodynamics state?

The entropy of a perfect crystal of an element at the absolute zero of temperature is zero.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 01:07:44 pm by DrewKaree »

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 02:03:49 pm »

-S

You have the moon correct, and the planet incorrect, at least according to what is listed as the answer accepted as correct.

Saturn's moon Titan.

Sure enough. I knew I should have had a little more caffine before I aatempted to answer any of these. Do I get half credit? ;)

-S

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 03:24:28 pm »
NO MORE!!

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 04:19:59 pm »

Sure enough. I knew I should have had a little more caffine before I aatempted to answer any of these. Do I get half credit? ;)

-S

You get full credit for this.  Unfortunately, this is one of the older long-ago-asked questions, so the credit is merely for token pity on the less-caffeinated version of you.  I highly doubt you will be turning it down ;D

Contrary to popular belief, the answer....oooohh, sooory....is NOT RayB's ex!

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 04:38:15 pm »

-S

You get full credit for this.  Unfortunately, this is one of the older long-ago-asked questions, so the credit is merely for token pity on the less-caffeinated version of you.  I highly doubt you will be turning it down ;D

Where are the new questions? I'm overly-caffinated and jittery, I feel like making an atmospheric entry on Titan, even if I do end up on the wrong planet.

-S

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 04:49:12 pm »
The new questions are read on the radio, and are picked at random, so out of this set of 25, there's only been 5-6 of them asked.  There's another one about some telescope in Hawaii, but someone already answered it and I've got the answer written down. 

I'll drop you the "wherezisat" via PM on the slim chance that no one has Googled hard enough to find the site and still want to guess 'em themselves. ::)

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 05:27:33 pm »
104)  What does the 3RD law of thermodynamics state?

The entropy of a perfect crystal of an element at the absolute zero of temperature is zero.

Just to be picky,
As temperature goes to 0, the entropy S approaches a constant . Furthermore, it guarantees that the entropy of a pure, perfectly crystalline substance is 0 if the absolute temperature is 0.

I have always taken this to mean that the entropy of a perfect crystal is zero as a consequence of the third law not the third law itself.

(yes i actually studied this stuff way back when)

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ThirdLawofThermodynamics.html

Added link

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 05:32:11 pm »
No no, picky is good.  I have absolutely no idea what it all has to do with me, but in the trivia contest world, picky is good.  Someone already gave an answer similar to mine, and was deemed "NO SOUP FOR YOU!", so my answer might bery well be wrongly worded/phrased/whatever so the closer to correct you can get.....in fact, you may be the first CD recipient candidate!

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 06:53:58 pm »
3rd law;

As temperature goes to 0, the entropy of a system approaches a constant.

AND: it is impossible by any procedure, no matter how idealised, to reduce any system to the absolute zero of temperature in a finite number of operations
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 06:55:56 pm by mahuti »
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 07:56:58 pm »
3rd law;

As temperature goes to 0, the entropy of a system approaches a constant.

AND: it is impossible by any procedure, no matter how idealised, to reduce any system to the absolute zero of temperature in a finite number of operations

Yes, I kept thinking about it, and it occurs to me that another interpretation of the third law is that absolute zero is unreacheable

good Article at
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/section/thermody_TheThirdLawofThermodynamics.asp

MAhuti's quote is from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_law_of_thermodynamics

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 12:57:11 am »
meant to quote my source... forgot. That's where I got it from.... I love that site. You never know how inaccurate it might be, though.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 01:07:27 am »
Yes, I kept thinking about it, and it occurs to me that another interpretation of the third law is that absolute zero is unreacheable
Infinite /= impossible, it just means you can't use mundane things to do it. I know these guys managed it:

;D

And from NASA:
An annular eclipse differs from a total eclipse in that the Moon appears too small to completely cover the Sun. As a result, the Moon is surrounded by an intensely brilliant ring or annulus formed by the uneclipsed outer perimeter of the Sun's disk. The solar corona is not visible during annular eclipses. Furthermore, a solar filter or projection is needed to observe all phases of an annular eclipse (see: Safe Solar Viewing).
Done. SLATFATF.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 09:29:55 am »
Thermodywhatsit?

-S

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 11:25:08 am »
Added a new question. 

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 11:28:57 am »

107)  What is a vector?

A really cool classic video game.

-S

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 12:32:14 pm »

107)  What is a vector?

A really cool classic video game.

-S
Drew can't type. It's 'Victor'.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 01:31:42 pm »

Drew can't type. It's 'Victor'.

That's yer kaaraazy Aussie accent that's effing it up.  If I had wanted to spell something incorrectly, I'd have typed in something really wacky like colour, humour, tyre, or used 3 esses and a silent 7 ;)

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 01:41:26 pm »
... or used 3 esses and a silent 7 ;)
There you go again, replacing an 'a' with 'e'.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2005, 02:26:44 pm »
Drew has three asses?

-S

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2005, 02:38:48 pm »
And so our time must end today.  We'll finish our story tomorrow, but until then, we leave Don Quixote, sitting on his ass.

Hey, where's the hats for my asses?  Ass hats?  See what you miss when you leave us for the weekend?

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2005, 02:51:46 pm »

Hey, where's the hats for my asses?  Ass hats?  See what you miss when you leave us for the weekend?

Entirely my fault. I shall endeavor to never commit such an omission in the future.

-S

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:47:30 pm
  • I was once a big man!! -4700 posts later...
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2005, 02:55:16 pm »
Pretty sure the answer to #3 is Calgary

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2005, 03:16:52 pm »
Pretty sure the answer to #3 is Calgary

3)  What city has the longest borders, making it the largest city in the world?

The answer is......Honolulu