Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: wiring for a PSX arcade stick  (Read 2347 times)

milatchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2004, 04:05:38 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • milatchi.0catch.com
wiring for a PSX arcade stick
« on: April 24, 2002, 08:33:08 pm »
I need an faq or a schematic on how to wire an  arcade stick 4 the PSX. I plan on buying the joystick an the microswitches from happ controls. But I need 2 know how to wire the them 2 work on my PSX. any help would be appreciated.
thanx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
none currently

aramis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
Re: wiring for a PSX arcade stick
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 10:26:17 pm »
the easiest way would be to hack a psx controller. The buttons are just sets of N.O. contacts, so find the common ground and chain that thru the COM tab of the joystick and button switches. Then, for each switch, take a wire from the input trace to the N.O. contact.

You will be soldering right onto the PSX circuit board, where the "black stuff" is under each button. Scrape this off down to the copper and solder the wires on.

Don't use a genuine SONY controller...most do not have copper under the "black stuff". Use a cheap ($6) Gamestop PSX controller instead...cheaper and has good copper pads.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 10:53:24 pm »
Here is a link to an arcade stick to PS controller that was done quite a while ago.  Still good info.

http://wrongcrowd.com/arcade/joystickp1.shtml

Hope that helps.

Bob
8)

milatchi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2004, 04:05:38 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • milatchi.0catch.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 11:48:21 pm »
thanx this helped alot.
none currently

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 08:17:38 am »
I have hacked to psx controller myself.... and I hacked the sony pads too.... (however, I did NOT hack other brand's pad)..

the main reason that I need to hack a Sony pad is because I need to be sure that the hack will work on both psx and ps2....
(I have some old circuit boards that will play psx fine, but when I plug into ps2, it will not work....

after you opened the pad, you can basically throw away all those buttons and parts.... now, for the L1, L2, R1, R2, there are already a wire connecting to a little piece of board.... you want to keep that wire so that you don't need to solder those again.... (also, there's a ground wire there also !!)

so, the only thing you'll need to solder is only 10 wires...
4 directions, select, start, and the 4 buttons on the face...

important thing is... you'll need to scrap off the black thing.... if you scrap it off enough, you'll still see a small piece of metal contact... you can use that to solder.....
(I think the other cheap pads might have a bigger metal piece.... but personally, I have NOT tried....)

1 important technique I learned from some other msgs on this board.... when soldering on to the circuit board...

you'll need 1 of those "helping hands" from radio shack... they're like $10 or so... but worthed...

you place the wire on to the circuit board, place the soldering iron on top of the wire and heat up both the wire and the contact... (1 sec or so will do...) then put the solder there.... (not too much)... that should give you a reasonable contact.....

keep in mind that because the metal contact on the sony pad is kinda small, after I solder all 10 spots, I'll go and check them out (by plugging it on to the psx and make sure everything works as expected....)

once verified, what I'll do is I'll unplug the thing, and put some elmer's glue on it... (those most common white glue from any store... I got mine at home depot...)

that will help stick the wire to the circuit board....

note: the glue will become transparent after it dired and it will not conduct electricity.... so, it's ok to pour glue all over the circuit board.... but when its still wet, do NOT plug the pad into psx.... I am not responsibile if it frys your console or circuit board.....

it usually takes 1 1/2 days for it to dry....

then, you're all set..... anyway... I got a friend who is willing to lend me a digi cam this wkend... I'll try to post some photos of what I did soon.....

- Henry.
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p