Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Driving Games Setup  (Read 3559 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Driving Games Setup
« on: January 14, 2003, 08:55:02 am »
I should soon be aquiring the turbo button equipped high/low shifter.  From the diagram on Happs site, it looks as tho it operates (ignoring the turbo button) using one microswitch - ie on in low gear / off in high gear (or vice versa).

I am just thinking how this will work with various driving games.  I think it will work perfectly with the default config for the Chase HQ series, which use a 'hold button to stay in low gear, and release for high gear' approach.  But for other games eg Outrun which use a button for 'shift to low' and a button for 'shift to high' this will not work.

Is there a way in the tab menu (or ini files) to set Outrun style games up like Chase HQ?  I can't think how to do it  :-[

Failing that I may be able to add another microswitch to the controller I guess...

Thanks a lot

u_rebelscum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Re:Driving Games Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 10:28:10 pm »
I should soon be aquiring the turbo button equipped high/low shifter.  From the diagram on Happs site, it looks as tho it operates (ignoring the turbo button) using one microswitch - ie on in low gear / off in high gear (or vice versa).

I am just thinking how this will work with various driving games.  I think it will work perfectly with the default config for the Chase HQ series, which use a 'hold button to stay in low gear, and release for high gear' approach.  But for other games eg Outrun which use a button for 'shift to low' and a button for 'shift to high' this will not work.

Is there a way in the tab menu (or ini files) to set Outrun style games up like Chase HQ?  I can't think how to do it  :-[

Failing that I may be able to add another microswitch to the controller I guess...

Thanks a lot

There is no way to change those games, besides editing the source and recompiling.

IIRC, just remove the toggle flag from the button declaration in the game's driver input section.  Others here, however, have done this and know exactly what to do.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 11:38:30 am »
Well there is another way..... wire the same input to both ends of the shifter....  Since it can only be in high or low at one time it doesn't matter if it toggles, as long as you put it in low before you start the game.  

Lame I know, but it would save you some source code altering if your not comfortable with that.  

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 06:21:19 am »
Thanks guys :)

I don't mind too much altering the source since I make my own build anyway, although I admit the less changes I have to make the better.

I *think* the shifter only has 1 microswitch, so I would have to mod it somehow to have a switch for low, and a separate one for high.  I'll know if this is possible or not tonight when I pick the thing up :)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 05:43:34 pm »
I *think* the shifter only has 1 microswitch, so I would have to mod it somehow to have a switch for low, and a separate one for high.  I'll know if this is possible or not tonight when I pick the thing up :)
Not true.  The Normally Closed contact of your microswitch is, in effect, a second microswitch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 05:43:59 pm by Chris »
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 06:21:46 am »
Not true.  The Normally Closed contact of your microswitch is, in effect, a second microswitch.

You're right, thanks a lot!  I hadn't thought of that for some reason :)

arcadepcnut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2019, 12:03:07 pm
  • Warhammer 40K, you should try it.
    • BREAKTIME
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2003, 02:07:46 pm »
The easiest way I have found is a microswitch that triggers when in high and another when in low. Assign each microswitch a keypress and you are done. Super simple and no source code changes. No hastles. Maybe overkill according to some.
A  second microswitch will cost you $2 or $3 and can be bought at radioshack. All games will be compatible.
I have a 4 on the floor in my cabinet and a microswitch is triggered when it is put in each gear. The cool thing is you can go from 1st to 4th...but nobody playing the game knows that.
1st and second gear is equal to high and low gears for games that dont use a 4 speed.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 07:10:20 am »
How do you get it to work with games that need you to press (tap) the same key for low AND high gears (eg Pole Position)?  You'd have to wire/map two of the microswitches to the same key as Howard said I guess (?)

Chris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 09:35:57 am »
How do you get it to work with games that need you to press (tap) the same key for low AND high gears (eg Pole Position)?  You'd have to wire/map two of the microswitches to the same key as Howard said I guess (?)
No, they can be the different keys, just map both keys to the shifter function within MAME.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 09:50:52 am »

No, they can be the different keys, just map both keys to the shifter function within MAME.

--Chris

Great thanks!  I hadn't even tried that  :)