Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sidewinder hack on 98SE issue  (Read 1715 times)

harrix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2008, 05:45:30 pm
Sidewinder hack on 98SE issue
« on: January 10, 2003, 01:55:45 pm »
Has anyone gotten a sidewinder hack to work well on the Win 98SE OS?  Everything I've seen on the web regarding sidewinders references Win XP as the OS.

I'm running windows mame32-062 (w/'joystick control' enabled) on an Athlon 800 Mhz system with 98SE, using a SoundBlaster Live value card, DirectX9 (the latest), and a sidewinder game pad (original, non-USB).  

The issue is that I can't move and fire at the same time using the gamepad.  When moving the pad in any direction and firing, the character being controlled moves slightly in the opposite direction (toward center--when the fire button is pressed) and then starts moving in the direction being pressed on the pad when the fire button is released.  I've tried mapping the keyboard up/down/left/right arrows to the directional pad to no avail.  Suggestions?
Harrix

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Sidewinder hack on 98SE issue
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 02:19:03 pm »
Has anyone gotten a sidewinder hack to work well on the Win 98SE OS?  Everything I've seen on the web regarding sidewinders references Win XP as the OS.

I'm running windows mame32-062 (w/'joystick control' enabled) on an Athlon 800 Mhz system with 98SE, using a SoundBlaster Live value card, DirectX9 (the latest), and a sidewinder game pad (original, non-USB).  

The issue is that I can't move and fire at the same time using the gamepad.  When moving the pad in any direction and firing, the character being controlled moves slightly in the opposite direction (toward center--when the fire button is pressed) and then starts moving in the direction being pressed on the pad when the fire button is released.  I've tried mapping the keyboard up/down/left/right arrows to the directional pad to no avail.  Suggestions?

i use the old gameport sidewinders  in windows98SE withtout an issue.  I had used an SBLIVE in the past what this config without issue in windows, but yanked it for an ISA old school card because I'm usually in  DOS...

What version of MAME are you using?  are you using mame or mame32  (gui)?
if using regular command line windows mame you'll need to enable the right joystick switch ( -joy sidewinder  ?? i'm not sure off the top of my head... something like that)

did you load the sidewinder profile software or no?
(I'm not sure what to recommend on that - but would like to know if you have or not)

can you holler back with those two bits of info?

also did you already hack the controller or is still intact ?

rampy

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 02:28:15 pm »
try going to control panel, there should be a joystick icon... click on it, and make sure the driver is correct (default msft gameport sidewinder joypad...) there are like tons of different sidewinders out there...

then click on properties and try it out.... they have a little screen that has the dir pad and the buttons indicator...

This is for Win ME.... but I guess it should be similar for 98....

hope it helps....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

harrix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2008, 05:45:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 04:00:10 pm »

i use the old gameport sidewinders  in windows98SE withtout an issue.  I had used an SBLIVE in the past what this config without issue in windows, but yanked it for an ISA old school card because I'm usually in  DOS...

What version of MAME are you using?  are you using mame or mame32  (gui)?
if using regular command line windows mame you'll need to enable the right joystick switch ( -joy sidewinder  ?? i'm not sure off the top of my head... something like that)

did you load the sidewinder profile software or no?
(I'm not sure what to recommend on that - but would like to know if you have or not)

can you holler back with those two bits of info?

also did you already hack the controller or is still intact ?

rampy

I'm using mame32 GUI (version 0.61--also tried 0.62--no change), and the sidewinder profile sw (version 3--the latest for Win 98) is loaded.  I've run the gamepad selftest and verified that all buttons are recognized.  In the selftest both buttons are shown as being active at the same time, but behavior is different in mame.

The controller is still intact--I wanted to try using it before hacking it.

Harrix
Harrix

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 04:12:08 pm »
You could try using a generic gamepad driver. If you need the profile function of the sidewinder driver it was reported in another thread that "joy to key" is less resource intensive than the sidewinders profiles. There are lots of people using sidewinder hacks though and I haven't heard this reported before. What I've read is everyone really likes the profile feature because with that it can easily work with almost every emulator.

I'm using XP with XP's included sidewinder driver and it functions great. I found that I don't need the profile feature. I'm only running Mame so far so if I decide to add other emulators this could become an issue. If I could have found my soldering iron last night I would have my SW hacked by now. I'm planning to stop on the way home and get a new one.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 04:18:22 pm »
have you checked your MAME in game (TAB) button configs?

possible you got something duped/dorked up there (just a hunch - other option is that your sidewinder is hosed)

Can you try the sidewinder on a non mame game to narrow down possibilities a bit?

you said you had checked joystick input ... make sure the given game that you are loading has it checked too. (although if you get some respnose, but it's wacky like you described, that's probably not the case)

*shrug*
rampy

Greg

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 02:11:18 am »
Try using game device software 2.0 instead of 3.0.  I had a similar problem a while back, and using the older profiler software worked for me.