Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ikari Warriors rotory joystick?  (Read 4512 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Ikari Warriors rotory joystick?
« on: January 09, 2003, 02:40:28 pm »
Was just checking out the Happ site, and saw the Optical Rotory 8-Way joysticks...  Was thinking about trying to do something for Ikari Warriors anyway...  I'm assuming that these sticks could actually be hacked into a mouse or hooked to an Optipac to be used in this game?

Has anyone tried to actually build an optical rotory stick?  Looking at the exploded view got me thinking on this, pondering if this can be done...

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Ikari Warriors rotory joystick?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 02:56:26 pm »
Was just checking out the Happ site, and saw the Optical Rotory 8-Way joysticks...  Was thinking about trying to do something for Ikari Warriors anyway...  I'm assuming that these sticks could actually be hacked into a mouse or hooked to an Optipac to be used in this game?

Has anyone tried to actually build an optical rotory stick?  Looking at the exploded view got me thinking on this, pondering if this can be done...

My understanding is that you could do just that (hack a mouse/use an optipac)

Please note though, with the optical rotaries you don't get that satisifying clunk when rotating like you did with the old yellow SNK's on ikari warriors (just to be comprehensive - mechanical rotaries can be interface dwith druin's circuit/interface)

I've wondered too about shlopping an encoder wheel on the bottom of a super... not sure if it would be practical or handle the rigors of fighting games  (a homemade optical rotary stick - not the happs... )

*shrug*
rampy

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 02:59:55 pm »
The happs optical rotarys can be hooked to an ipac for the joystick movement and to an optipac for the rotary part. You can then hook one stick to the x axis and one to the y so that you can both play at the same time without having to use analog+ with win98.

If you get mechanical rotarys like the origanel ikari warriors then you hook them up with an ipac and Druin's rotary conversion interface which also hooks into the ipac. Video connection sells the ls30-snk origanel ikari sticks for $15 but then you need Druin's $50 interface.

In the end your going to spend less for the mechanical rotarys but the optical rotarys are more versatile but less arcade authentic for ikari or heavy barrel kind of games.

My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 03:00:40 pm »

My understanding is that you could do just that (hack a mouse/use an optipac)

Please note though, with the optical rotaries you don't get that satisifying clunk when rotating like you did with the old yellow SNK's on ikari warriors (just to be comprehensive - mechanical rotaries can be interface dwith druin's circuit/interface)

I've wondered too about shlopping an encoder wheel on the bottom of a super... not sure if it would be practical or handle the rigors of fighting games  (a homemade optical rotary stick - not the happs... )

*shrug*
rampy

Yeah, I know you don't get the detents with the optical that you get with the mechanical one...  This is just a compromise solution so that Ikari/Heavy Barrel, etc. could be played once in a while...

I'm going to think about making one of my own a bit tho...

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 03:06:39 pm »
The happs optical rotarys can be hooked to an ipac for the joystick movement and to an optipac for the rotary part. You can then hook one stick to the x axis and one to the y so that you can both play at the same time without having to use analog+ with win98.

If you get mechanical rotarys like the origanel ikari warriors then you hook them up with an ipac and Druin's rotary conversion interface which also hooks into the ipac. Video connection sells the ls30-snk origanel ikari sticks for $15 but then you need Druin's $50 interface.

In the end your going to spend less for the mechanical rotarys but the optical rotarys are more versatile but less arcade authentic for ikari or heavy barrel kind of games.

Thanks Eightbit,

Well, I was hoping to come up with something that would be workable for fighting games (my primary concern), with enough flexibility to play those rotory games on occasion...  I can't see playing a fighter with the Ikari sticks...

What is Druin's URL so that I can check it out, and as far as that goes the site that has the Ikari sticks?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 03:26:06 pm »

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 03:33:09 pm »
Snk ls-30 rotary sticks $15

http://www.videoconnect.com/index.html

I decided to go the swappable panel route for the rotary sticks.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

m3talslug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2007, 04:22:25 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • M3talslug's Control Panels
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 09:37:20 am »
I just built a control panel with 2 sticks per player.  1 original SNK rotary and 1 P360.  <-- I only use the P360 for fighting games and the SNK rotary for rotary games.

In combination they can be used for dual joystick games i.e. Robotron, SmashTv, Total Recall, etc.

I found that setup to work very well in terms of keeping the original feel of Rotary games, and fighting games.

Thanks Eightbit,

Well, I was hoping to come up with something that would be workable for fighting games (my primary concern), with enough flexibility to play those rotory games on occasion...  I can't see playing a fighter with the Ikari sticks...

What is Druin's URL so that I can check it out, and as far as that goes the site that has the Ikari sticks?

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 09:53:13 am »
yeah... I have been thinking about that for a while too....

rotary joystick is like only for a hand full of games...
ikrai warrior... victory road... heavy barrel....etc..

but if I'm going to do it... I would like it to be 2 players....

but on top of ALL the other controls... 2 more rotary sticks and also need an extra circuit ?? (I'm using SW hack... so... maybe even a little more pblm....)

anyway... I've been thinking...

those games uses joystick to move... if I can use the spinner to turn the warrior... and probably change the joystick to a 2 trigger stick..... (someone posts a tank style trigger stick a while ago !!!...)

then I can also use the same setup for like Tron, tank games (2 trigger sticks...) even forgotten world.....
etc...

yes... it won't be exactly like the "real" thing... but this setup should be playable.... (anyway... I don't see any ikari warrior machines out there anymore....) and we can use this same setup to play quite a few more games !!!!

Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

m3talslug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2007, 04:22:25 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • M3talslug's Control Panels
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2003, 10:23:42 am »
This is what I did and it works really well:

The guts I used handle 3 sticks per PCB

http://tobywong.50megs.com

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2003, 10:46:37 am »
rotary joystick is like only for a hand full of games...
ikrai warrior... victory road... heavy barrel....etc..
But its really the only way to play those games.

but on top of ALL the other controls... 2 more rotary sticks and also need an extra circuit ?? (I'm using SW hack... so... maybe even a little more pblm....)
The rotary sticks can be wired to the same inputs as your current sticks, you only need an additional 2 buttons for each stick to rotate. Hmmm, that is 4 more buttons, you probably don't have four more unused inputs.

those games uses joystick to move... if I can use the spinner to turn the warrior... and probably change the joystick to a 2 trigger stick..... (someone posts a tank style trigger stick a while ago !!!...)

then I can also use the same setup for like Tron, tank games (2 trigger sticks...) even forgotten world.....
etc...
Mechanical rotarys aren't good for spinner games. They don't give the control that you really need with a game like Tron. If your looking for a spinner compromise go with the optical rotarys, though that won't give you authentic feeling Ikari warrior.

Unless your going to build authentic panels for everything, your going to need to make compromises.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2003, 12:06:21 pm »
I think I mis-leaded you guys...

what I mean is...

I would like a panel like 1ups tron panel...

2 trigger stick (each stick has 2 triggers !!!)
and a spinner in the middle...

that way... I should be able to play ikari warrior....
using the joystick to move... 2 buttons on trigger to shoot and bomb... and spinner to turn....

and this same setup, can of course play tron, and the 2 trigger sticks combined can play tank control games....

somehow.... my wordings are completely off... must be Fri....
sorry....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2003, 02:12:31 pm »
I think I mis-leaded you guys...

what I mean is...

I would like a panel like 1ups tron panel...

2 trigger stick (each stick has 2 triggers !!!)
and a spinner in the middle...

that way... I should be able to play ikari warrior....
using the joystick to move... 2 buttons on trigger to shoot and bomb... and spinner to turn....

and this same setup, can of course play tron, and the 2 trigger sticks combined can play tank control games....

somehow.... my wordings are completely off... must be Fri....
sorry....

That should work but I guess it depends on the feel your looking for. A optical control for Ikari warriors feels wrong to me, its needs the click that moves it a defined distance. Ikari is one of my favorite games though.