Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I've seen some random and cruel stuff, but...  (Read 22648 times)

NoOne=NBA=

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
Re: I've seen some random and cruel stuff, but...
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2005, 08:42:06 pm »
Shmokes,

Sorry, I missed your original request for this.

I got the raw numbers off the DeathPenaltyInfo.org site.
It's the 2nd chart down on the left.
I tallied the numbers myself to get the percentages listed above.

Now for the fun part.  ;D

What?  That wasn't your point.  Your point was that the death penalty deters crime and that the Raw data proved it.  You even went so far as saying that we don't get to pick and choose how we present the data.

So you are now admitting that there is a difference between stated intent, and actual motive?

So, if I were to say....oh, I don't know.....kill a black guy for being black, and then be SMART enough to keep my mouth shut until I had a lawyer, I could get that lawyer to dig up dirt on the guy, find out he has a past history of drug-dealing, and then STATE, for the record, that I killed him because he was dealing crack to kids, and the crime wouldn't be as bad, right?

How about if my REAL motive was to kill a black guy, and one just happened to work the night shift at the 7-11 down the street?
I could go in, kill him for being black, and THEN take the money.
That way, if I was somehow caught later, I could STATE that I killed him to get the money, and get a reduced sentence.

I love how you just come in, sounding like the high-handed lecture that Jerry Springer gives at the end of his show, and declare yourself the winner and start talking about the lessons you hope each of us has learned.

People didn't blindly accept my claims here?  It has, in fact, been me against the rest of the people in this thread for the most part, with the exception of Grasshopper (sorry if I missed any supporters).

Grasshopper immediately questioned MY statistics, in spite of the fact that they didn't hold up to objective scrutiny, but didn't question the same type of data on your side.
This was partly due to the over-the-top presentation I gave it, so that YOU would post actual statistics to support your side.

The people supporting the death penalty here are a large part of my target audience with this because they are all blindly following the "baby-stabber" mob, rather than actually THINKING about any of this.

And I haven't made any claims that have turned out to be false, except the irrelevant one that you twisted out of context.
You have a tendency toward exaggeration NBA.  I did not say that the death penalty increases crime rate.  I said that there is some evidence that it might.  Then in the very next sentence I said, "One thing for near certain, it does not decrease the rate.  (I even bolded the does not)

That is why I targeted that statement specifically.
If the real MOTIVE behind my first post had been to further a logical debate, I would firstly not have digested the data in the manner that I did; and, secondly, would have questioned the validity of some of the other data immediately.
The exaggeration in my first post was INTENTional, and designed specifically to provoke an emotional "that isn't true" response--exactly as it did.
Once you had everyone focused on the fact that MY numbers didn't objectively support my side of the argument, I could point out that NONE of the data supports either side more easily.

Similarly, you act like I claimed that the Canada stats closed the case.  The first line of my post after giving those stats was:  Could there be other reasons?  Sure.  Maybe Canada's economic situation has greatly improved in the same time period.  I don't know.  But the evidence is still pretty compelling.  It's at least worthy of asking yourself...

The "could there be other reasons" argument, coupled with the later "pretty compelling" argument forces the conclusion that repealing the death penalty did in fact contribute to lowering the crime rate.
That conclusion is shown to be false by the fact that the crime rate dropped in the U.S. by the same amount in half the time--during the same period.
Adding the fact that the crime rates dropped more in non-death penalty States, than in death penalty states, still does not address the impact of those "other reasons".
There is also the fact of the decreases I quoted above (37.8% decrease from 1990-2003 for death penalty states, and 55.2% for non-death penalty states).
Viewing all that data objectively, one can only conclude that the effect of the death penalty as a deterrent is minimal at best.

When I presented my most recent batch of data I specifically said that it wasn't conclusive.  I just pointed out elements of it that "seem to support my argument".

That sounds like an admission that "Your method of presentation is a common one known supressing evidence" to me.

But just because a single set of data doesn't provide a smoking gun, doesn't make the data irrelevant.  It identifies trends, and when you aggregate lots of inconclusive data together you can begin to develop conclusions based on similar trends that pop up in all the data.

Yes.
And when viewing it ALL objectively, the death penalty is a non-factor in the murder rate.
Places that have abolished it haven't seen non-tolerance changes in their murder rates, and places that have enacted it haven't seen changes either.
The only logical conclusion to that is that there are other, more vital factors involved in the equation.

At the very least you should look at the data I just provided and ask yourself, "Why is Texas number 12 on the list after 30 years of the most prolific death row in the nation?"  And, "Why, after 30 years of threatening criminals with their lives do the death penalty states still make up the bulk of the most violent states, while the states who are not threatening criminals with their lives take up nearly every spot on the safest-state list?"

I've done exactly that, and am hoping that others will as well.
I don't attribute any causal relationship to that.
Texas is high on the list because people in Texas like to kill each other.
If the death penalty and handgun control had any major effect on murder rates, D.C. would be low on the list--NOT at the top.
High unemployment, and drug-related crime, are the two main factors that I can see affecting murder rates.
I also can't discount the fact that Texas has more major urban areas than just about any other state.
Racial tensions add fuel to this fire, but are a secondary factor in most cases, as same race killings outpace interracial killings by a fair margin.
Another thing I can't seem to find is murder rates by State based on population density.
States lacking big integrated urban areas, with rampant poverty and unemployment, will naturally be farther down the list than others.

Maybe it's the drug rehab that is having the benefits on the crime rate, but since they tend to occur in the same place it's easy to identify the lack of a death penalty as the cause. But an honest person wouldn't just assume that is the case and refuse to treat the trend as significant.

Exactly my point.
Unfortunately people tend to believe what they've heard, when they hear it again.
Familiarity lends credence to an otherwise indefensible argument.
That is exactly what people on both sides of this argument are doing however.

For science to work properly, one must develop a hypothesis, and then OBJECTIVELY view all data associated with the object being studied.
Using portions of the data, which are contradicted by other portions of the data, to support ones original hypothesis is NOT science--it's religion.
They are believing what they want to believe because they believe it, and the only data they will give validity to is that which SUPPORTS their belief.

I still don't think that it deters any significant amount of crime, and I don't think you can find any evidence that it does.

I fully agree.
BUT, I've never been able to find any conclusive evidence that it affects the rates at all, either way.
There are places with it that have low crime rates (South Dakota--2nd from the bottom), there are places with it that have high crime rates (Louisiana tops the list), there are places without it that have low crime rates (Maine bottom of the list), and places without it that have high crime rates (Michigan - 13th).

I must mention that I find it interesting that the anti-death penalty sites INTENTIONALLY exclude the District of Columbia from all their lists based on the fact that "it's not really a State".
Could it be that, with it's complete gun control, and lack of a death penalty, it bucks the trend they'd like you to see--with a 45.8 per 100,000 death rate, compared to 13% for Louisiana at the top of the list?

That lends great support to my "density" and "diversity" hypotheses.
Relatively homogenous and sprawling urban areas (Porland, OR and Seattle being the two I'm most familiar with) have lower murder rates than highly integrated, high density urban areas (D.C., Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc...).

Also, I think a fundamental part of my philosophy on the death penalty that you don't understand, is that I begin with the death penalty being a negative thing, as should all people.

I do understand that, but am trying to get people to THINK about this from a logical standpoint.
The original "baby stabber" comments are what really motivated me to post in this thread in the first place.
I picked you out of the crowd, to the end of trying to make people think, specifically because you HAD already thought about it, and could put up valid defense to my Devil's Advocate position.

You might have gathered that this is a topic that I am interested in.

And just to bring this completely full-circle, I am relatively ambivalent about the death penalty in general.
I support its use in clear-cut cases, but lean toward life in prison for any case where there is possible doubt.

My passion, and the true MOTIVE spurring my participation here, is that I am tired of living in a world full of unthinking sheep.
Our schools are teaching kids to tell the teacher what they want to hear, and believe the teacher because they are the ones who know.
My experience has been completely counter to this idea.
I found out early that my teachers didn't know EVERYTHING; and, in many cases, were actually LESS intelligent/knowledgable about many areas than I was.
This led me to question everything they said, and to seek raw data that I could draw my own conclusions from.

What I am seeing from the general populace today makes me cringe.
I am one of the remaining people who realize that this country didn't always have an income tax (we paid for the entire federal government using import tariffs prior to the reparation period following WWI), didn't always have "social" programs (that was the function of communities and churches), and didn't always cater to the lowest common denominator in almost every facet of it's existence (we used to have standards that you had to meet, not standards that met you).

Now I see people on T.V. pleading for stronger gun control to stop crime, and using the fact that "this country or that has a lower crime rate without guns".
They completely ignore that fact that the only guns that have EVER been seized as a result of gun control/buy-back programs came from the VICTIMS of the crimes they hope to stop--NOT the perpetrators.

I see people pleading for the abolition of the death penalty to stop crime, using the fact that Canada saw a crime reduction after abolishing it, but refusing to acknowledge that the U.S. saw the same reduction while keeping it.

I see the opposite of that, where people plead for the institution of the death penalty to stop crime, while ignoring the fact that it hasn't been shown to produce a reduction in crime anywhere it's been implemented.

I see them pleading for handouts to stop poverty, in spite of the fact that all my experience in the area suggests that the best route out of poverty is to CUT welfare to those unwilling to work.
If you give people just enough to squeak by, and then cut that amount if they get a job, you give them NO incentive to work.
If you ONLY give them money IF they are working, and supplement them until they can establish a work history, they will become productive, self-sustaining members of society.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2005, 09:57:39 pm »
WTF?  How am I supposed to respond to a post like that?  I'm doing homework and don't begin to have time tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.  Can you give me the Reader's Digest version?
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2005, 10:04:08 pm »
  Can you give me the Reader's Digest version?

Sure.  The guy stabbed a baby.  F him.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2005, 10:08:36 pm »
Where did you get those numbers?

They are above the letters on your key board.

14.5%,

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2005, 10:30:18 pm »
Shmokes, I wasn't being "toxic".

One of the differences between our thinking is that when I tell somebody something isn't right, I have an alternative.  Maybe because I am from a manufacturing environment and work as an engineer.  You work for the government and are studing to be a lawyer. 

If I disagree with some idea or concept, I feel it's my responsiblity to come up with an alternative. To mearly say it's bad with nothing to substiute is so pathetic to me.

Complaining is easy, you don't have to have an answer to complalin.  All you have to do is gripe.  Not a good way to be.
It's called "whining" when you do that. 

I'm not opposed to putting murderers to death.  I'm opposed to killing people who are innocent when we think they are murderers.  That's my holdout.  If it could be proven as a solid fact beyond any other interpretation, then I say I'll pull the lever.  Unfortunately our system is too flawed to be totally infallible.  So I have to err on the side of caution.

King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2005, 12:14:46 am »
Oh....so you believe we should stop using the death penalty.  And of course, since you disagree with the idea or concept of using the death penalty, seeing as our system is too flawed and all, you wouldn't be so pathetic as to suggest that we stop using it without coming up with an alternative, right?  Let's take a look back at your exercise in self-righteousness...

Hmm...nope.  No alternatives listed there.  A bit on the pathetic side, wouldn't you say?

By the way, what are your views on affirmative action, abortion, welfare, NEA grants, world policing, ID cards for illegal aliens, billions of dollars in aid to nations all over the world?  Maybe you support some of those, but I suspect there are some that you don't agree with and believe that the government should simply stop doing.  When someone is doing something that is wrong, sometimes the solution is to stop doing it.  I tried to illustrate that to you but I guess the bloodletting metaphor was over your head.  Or hell, maybe you felt that it would have been "pathetic" for doctors to stop doing it, in spite of learning that it was ineffective and often harmful, until Tylenol was invented.

::)
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2005, 12:30:00 am »
Angry young men, so very angry....

Living the delusional lifestyle.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2005, 12:33:49 am »
 ;D  Angry.....c'mon.  What appears to be anger in my post is merely a device to bring the irony of Fred's post to his attention.  You must understand that I am the opposite of angry when an opponent gives me an opening like that. 

Best Kid iPad Apps

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2005, 02:22:36 am »
;D  Angry.....c'mon.  What appears to be anger in my post is merely a device to bring the irony of Fred's post to his attention.

That sounds like it borders dangerously close to using exaggeration tactics; and with the end of making points to third parties, no less.

You must understand that I am the opposite of angry when an opponent gives me an opening like that. 

And in the same frame of mind while you do it I see.

I'll let you read my post above when you get time, rather than summarize it.
There's some good food for thought in there, when you get the chance--especially regarding your stance on hate crimes.
There's also my real thoughts on the death penalty, as you seem truly interested in the subject.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2005, 02:36:33 am »
Okay....after reading your last post like 10 times I think you mean that Bones is a third party, as in not a party to the argument and I am making points to him instead of Frester, maybe as a subtle form of personal attack by making him out to be a fool...?    As far as the frame of mind comment, I simply cannot figure it out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 02:56:35 am by shmokes »

Best Kid iPad Apps

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2005, 02:44:27 am »
Angry young men, so very angry....

You know the saying (modified, of course, for certain members of this board...)

"Anger leads to hate, hate leads to fear, fear leads to oregano, oregano leads to twinkies..."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 02:46:07 am by Daniel270 »
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2005, 02:45:44 am »
Thank you god.  I love the new avatar!

Best Kid iPad Apps

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2005, 02:46:43 am »
LOL...

I thought you would.   All ya had to do was ask   ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 02:48:33 am by Daniel270 »
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2005, 03:53:19 am »
Okay....after reading your last post like 10 times I think you mean that Bones is a third party
Yes...one third party, one third genitals and one third brain. It's the perfect balance and I am millions of years more advanced than you people.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2005, 09:38:12 am »
You must understand that I am the opposite of angry when an opponent gives me an opening like that. 

And in the same frame of mind as me while you do it I see.

Sorry, long day, dead brain last night apparently.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2005, 10:23:36 am »
Shmokes,

I don't like the death penalty either.  I did make an alternative earlier in the thread, too far for your attention span.   

I said this on page 3 -
I'm kinda on the Bill O'Reilley bandwagon.  If you are a murder then you have to go to Alaska and live in the dark or do very hard time.

So that would be life. 

By the way, what are your views on affirmative action, abortion, welfare, NEA grants, world policing, ID cards for illegal aliens, billions of dollars in aid to nations all over the world?  Maybe you support some of those, but I suspect there are some that you don't agree with and believe that the government should simply stop doing.  When someone is doing something that is wrong, sometimes the solution is to stop doing it.  I tried to illustrate that to you but I guess the bloodletting metaphor was over your head.  Or hell, maybe you felt that it would have been "pathetic" for doctors to stop doing it, in spite of learning that it was ineffective and often harmful, until Tylenol was invented.
This ranting is the very definition of "pathetic".  This is confusing the issue with pointless rhetoric . These are all different topics.  Stick to the topic at hand.

But I must say, you are very good at being pointless.  You are the King of pointless.

I say that in a non-toxic and totally respectful way of course. :angel:

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2005, 11:48:15 am »
And you seem to be the king of dodging completley relevant issues.  They're not pointless, but they are rhetorical questions.  You're not meant to answer those questions or move away from the topic at hand.  You're meant to look at them and recognize that it can be perfectly appropriate to simply stop bad behavior.  You're suggestion is like telling a person who just stops smoking that they are stupid because they didn't introduce something like gum chewing in its place.  I mean, if gum chewing makes life better, that's great, but simply stopping the bad behavior is great too.  Gimme a break, you accuse me have behaving pathetically, so I give examples that not only put my behavoir into perspective, but suggest various situations in which you would likely behave the same way, and they are somehow not relevant to the discussion.  That's pretty convenient.

And maybe your attention span is too short to remember the part, earlier in the thread, specifically when I was answering your question, where I said that the obvious replacement of the death penalty would be life in prison.

Best Kid iPad Apps

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2005, 12:52:56 pm »
Shmokes,

I didn't mean to make you pout about it.  It's okay.

You said you approached the problem from the standpoint that the death penalty was "wrong"  in the first place. 

Then you argued how it wasn't effective with lots of adjectives and graphs to illustrate your point.  That's all good.

But in all that you didn't have an alternative that was as effective, until I asked.  Just saying "that this is not working and needs to stop" has to be accompanied with "this needs to happen instead" to be very convincing.  Wins arguments hands down.

Is life in prison as effective as the death penalty?  What is a better alternative?

Problem solving is hard.  You'll learn more about this concept next year when you're in the seventh grade.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2005, 01:00:35 pm »

Gotta say that I rarely listen to a person's complaints unless they are at least willing to try to come up with a potential solution.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2005, 01:12:20 pm »
Shmokes,

Can you elaborate on your hate-crimes position a bit for me?

Specifically, I am assuming that life in prison is the penalty you plan to use for hate crimes, correct?
(I based this on your previous posts, deducing that life in prison is your maximum sentence, and that hate crime murders are the worst type of crime in your book).

What sentence would you give someone who shoots an abortion doctor because he feels that doctor is guilty of baby-killing?

How about the guy who robs the 7-11, and shoots the clerk to avoid ID?

If I wanted to shoot a black guy for being black, and chose the one working the night shift at the 7-11 down the street, would I get a lesser sentence if I took the money afterward, and claimed that I shot him to get the money?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2005, 01:14:12 pm »

You would get life because you stabbed a baby on the way into the 7-11.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2005, 01:58:26 pm »
If I wanted to shoot a black guy for being black, and chose the one working the night shift at the 7-11 down the street, would I get a lesser sentence if I took the money afterward, and claimed that I shot him to get the money?

Rape is just physical assault, but it gets a greater sentence than punching someone in the arm.

If you were black and spent your whole life knowing people hated you, avoided you, watched you, attacked you, because of your skin color, you might understand.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2005, 02:00:41 pm »
Rape is just physical assault, but it gets a greater sentence than punching someone in the arm.

Any psychologist would say that rape has little to do to with physical assult.  They would, and do, say that it is an emotional assault where one asserts their physical dominance in such a way to send a message to the victim rather than hurt them physically.  Often physical harm is part of the message, but not always.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2005, 02:36:49 pm »
One of the reasons why hate crimes should be treated more severely than "normal" crimes is to take account of the likelihood of re-offending.

If a man kills his wife in a fit of rage because he catches her in bed with another man then whilst society cannot condone the killing it is unlikely he will kill again. And he will probably continue to be a productive member of society if left to his own devices.

However, if someone kills someone simply because they are black then it is highly likely that such a person will kill again, after all there is no shortage of black people.

People who fall into the latter category need to be given a more severe punishment (i.e. greater deterrent) in order to be persuaded not to re-offend. And if the likelihood of re-offending is deemed to be unacceptably high then they should be locked up for life.

You could of course give all murderers the maximum punishment. I think this is unjust because I don't regard all acts of murder as being equal but I accept you take a different view on this.

But over-punishing people creates other problems. Society incurs a cost in punishing people. It costs a lot of money to send someone to jail for life and you also prevent that person from earning a living, paying taxes, supporting his family etc. And even if you prefer to simply execute all murderers there is the problem of creating potentially un-correctable miscarriages of justice.

What sentence would you give someone who shoots an abortion doctor because he feels that doctor is guilty of baby-killing?

I wouldn't categorise this as a hate crime in the traditional sense. You'd obviously have to look at all the facts, but there is a case for saying it should be treated in the same way as a hate crime. As there is no shortage of abortion doctors there is a high likelihood that the perpetrator will re-offend. Therefore it may be appropriate to give a longer sentence to act as a sufficient deterrent, or lock the person up for life if it is considered that the his/her convictions are so strong that it is inevitable that he/she will kill again.

This is a bit of a red-herring. It obviously depends upon whether or not you are able to fool the court with regards to your true motive for the killing.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2005, 02:44:59 pm »

That is it.  NoOne has figured out why this guy is a babystabber.

This guy is a procrastinating abortion doctor.

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2013, 11:31:23 pm
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2005, 02:48:10 pm »

You would get life because you stabbed a baby on the way into the 7-11.

Somehow, I found this funny.

NoOne's to-do list
1. Buy bread and milk
2. Pick-up dry cleaning
3. Stab baby.

-------------------------------------
My games: Tapper, Asteroids, Cocktail-MAME, Tron, ROTJ, Tempest, Star Wars (not working)
My wants: Warlords Cocktail

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2005, 02:49:16 pm »

Only if #4 was shoot the clerk because he is black, then take the money in the register to make it look like a robbery.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2005, 02:53:57 pm »

Any psychologist would say that rape has little to do to with physical assult.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2005, 03:12:09 pm »
If you were black and spent your whole life knowing people hated you, avoided you, watched you, attacked you, because of your skin color, you might understand.

No, I wouldn't.

It's my position that ALL intentional killing, and ATTEMPTED intentional killing, be punished equally, at the highest maximum level allowed by law--unless it was done to protect life and limb.
Anything less requires interpretation, or outright guessing.

Just because I TRIED to kill a black person for being black, and failed due to my own incompetence, doesn't mean I should get a lesser sentence.
I MEANT to kill them, therefore I should be tried exactly as if the attempt had been successful.

Hitting someone in the leg with a baseball bat is Assault With a Deadly Weapon.
Hitting them in the head is Attempted Murder.

Here's another scenario for you.
Suppose I decide to go out and shoot a black guy for no reason.
Further suppose I'm a bad shot, and only blow his arm off.
If I claim in court that I MEANT to blow his arm off, your system would try me for Assault With a Deadly Weapon.
Mine would try me for Attempted Murder.

If you were a member of the same community as the victim, which would give you a greater sense of security, knowing that any attempt to kill you would be tried as if it succeeded, or that it must succeed to be tried as a success?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2005, 03:18:21 pm »

Wouldn't your court try him for actual Murder, since by your definition, Attempted Murder is equal to Murder?

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2005, 03:53:28 pm »

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2005, 05:09:03 pm »
There's other "exceptions".

The Carol Carr case in Atlanta.  Both her sons were dying from Huntinton's Disease. She took care of her husband that also had the disease.

Both of the boys (ages 38-45) were in a nursing home.  They had bedsores, non-communicative, etc.   She couldn't take it anymore. She watched her husband slowly die and then her children too.

She went to visit,  took out a pistol and shot them both in the head.  Point Blank.

The Georgia court gave her two years + probation.

What are you gonna do?

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2005, 05:13:13 pm »

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2005, 08:11:06 pm »

So you are now admitting that there is a difference between stated intent, and actual motive?

Okay...so I finally am winding down from a busy day at work and thought I would undertake the enormous task of reading and responding to your long-ass post.  This is tough NBA.  I feel like I'm shooting ducks, and no matter how many I shoot down more just keep popping up.

Look at the first line of your post.  I am now admitting?  Of course there can be a difference between stated intent and actual motive.  It's called lying.  I have never EVER stated anything that would even suggest that I believe otherwise.  I find myself compelled to cut up your posts line by line when responding, in spite of the fact that I hate with a passion when people argue that way, because you consistently fill your posts with this stuff.

Don't construct a generic argument and then try to jerry-rig it into a response to me.  If I didn't say that motive and stated intent are always the same, don't say, "So now you admit that there is a difference between..."

If I say that hate crimes should be punished more severely than otherwise identical crimes sans the "hate" component, don't say that my position is that perpetrators of crimes without a "hate" component should be EXCUSED.  I'd like to argue the issues without having to hack up your posts line-by-line to address your embelishments.

You may think that my philosophies are misguided.  You may think that my ideology clouds my ability to see realities.  But one thing you can count on is that I'm honest about the things I believe.  I make no attempts to hide data that doesn't go my way.  I try to be charitable when reading someone's post and interpret it how I believe they meant it to be interpreted, even if the grammer allows for multiple meanings.  I don't post links to places like moveon.org and treat them like they should be thought of as journalism.  I've told Mr. C that he's full of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, in spite of the fact that his views so often parallel mine.  If you find the Michael Moore thread you'll see that I'm right there with the conservatives saying that he is a fat unethical buffoon.  But the reason I think that about him is because he constructs his arguments in ways that are deliberately misleading.

Please stop doing it.  I want to read what you have to say, but it's the longest post in the history of mankind and look how it begins.  Just respond to what I am saying.  When discussing my position just refer to it in the same language I use when I refer to it.  If it helps, I promise that I won't start talking about how you want the government to have the power to murder its citizens.  It's a lame way to argue.

Best Kid iPad Apps

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2005, 08:13:44 pm »
Grasshopper,

There are too many ugly questions that are brought up in my mind by an objective evaluation of your position on this for me to even think about adopting it.

You hold that societal protection is the goal of punishment from what I am reading, correct?
Why do we need to punish the man who kills his wife in a jealous rage, if he's no longer a threat to society then?

You could of course give all murderers the maximum punishment. I think this is unjust because I don't regard all acts of murder as being equal
If all acts of murder aren't equal, then all victims of murder must be worth differing amounts of punishment, correct?
Who decides this, and how do we ensure that the people deciding this don't decide that the very people you are trying to please with the hate crime laws aren't determined to be worth LESS than I am?

But over-punishing people creates other problems. Society incurs a cost in punishing people. It costs a lot of money to send someone to jail for life and you also prevent that person from earning a living, paying taxes, supporting his family etc.
Based on the above, you believe that the killer's career, tax dollars, and family are more important than the victim's life was?
What about the Victim's career, the Victim's tax dollars, and the Victim's family?
Why are they worth less than the killer's?

Those are all questions I don't have to answer, holding the position that I do.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2005, 09:16:55 pm »
Of course there can be a difference between stated intent and actual motive.  It's called lying.

Yes.
Everyone on trial is going to do it, so why should we burden the courts with the job of proving intent, as well as guilt, before allowing them to issue a true maximum sentence?

Your stated goal, for enacting hate crime legislation, is to provide comfort to all members of a given profile when one of their own is murdered, correct?
How are those same people going to feel when someone is convicted of the murder itself, but given less than the maximum sentence allowed because the prosecution didn't prove intent in the eyes of that particular court?

The same people arguing for hate crime legislation are arguing that the courts are too lenient in sentencing as it is.
Is the logical solution to this problem to increase the burden of proof necessary to get a higher sentence?

I have never EVER stated anything that would even suggest that I believe otherwise.
So, you didn't say this when I stated the true intent of my original post?
What?  That wasn't your point.  Your point was that the death penalty deters crime and that the Raw data proved it.  You even went so far as saying that we don't get to pick and choose how we present the data.
I posted exactly what I did, exactly as I did, fully intending to contradict it later to prove this point because it seemed the best way to drive it home.

The court CANNOT prove the true motives of any killer, so should not even attempt it.
They should prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and then issue a mandatory sentence for the crime committed.

You may think that my philosophies are misguided.
Somewhat.
I see your intentions, which are good.
I also see your proposed methods, and those seem to be at odds with your intentions--as stated above.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2005, 09:28:56 pm »

No, I wouldn't.

There is no way that increasing the burden of proof necessary to get a maximum sentence would ever make sense to me--regardless of my skin color.

If you have a maximum sentence for murder of the death penalty, you should not have to PROVE that the guy that killed me is guilty, AND that I was killed because of my skin color, to get it.
If a guy comes up, shoots me for being black, but doesn't admit it, and then takes my wallet, why should he get a lesser sentence than the guy who comes up and shoots me for being black, but leaves my wallet.

The first guy not only killed me, but he robbed me too!
How is that justice?

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2005, 09:34:20 pm »
Okay...I've read your post.  Here's my response.  For obvious reasons I'll limit myself to addressing a few of your points.

First and foremost, my position is not that the death penalty increases crime.  It is a possibility.  It has been suggested.  It's an interesting hypothesis and, of course, if true it would be a pretty powerful reason to take my side on the issue.  But that's not my point.  My point is that it DOES NOT REDUCE CRIME.  My point is that anybody who would not be deterred by a life sentence will not be deterred by any theatened punishment.

In 2000, 8 inmates were freed from death row and exonerated; in 2001
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 09:53:34 pm by shmokes »

Best Kid iPad Apps

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2005, 09:40:00 pm »
I feel like I'm shooting ducks, and no matter how many I shoot down more just keep popping up.
Ducks are helpless animals and deserve to be protected.

I find myself compelled to cut up your posts line by line when responding
Yeah, you really shouldn't be compelled to do that.

"So now you admit that there is a difference between..."
You didn't finish this sentence. Woman have boobs and men have doodles. These are some of the differences.

crimes without a "hate" component should be EXCUSED.
I disagree, all crime should be punishable.

my philosophies are misguided.
That is very big of you to admit.

my ideology clouds my ability to see realities.
Refer previous comment.

Please stop doing it.
It's my body and my soap and I can wash it as fast as I like.

I once had sex with a man.
This is your right and I am not one to judge.

I wish I was as smart as Bones.
You are still young yet, give it time.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2005, 09:44:05 pm »

I posted exactly what I did, exactly as I did, fully intending to contradict it later to prove this point because it seemed the best way to drive it home.

The court CANNOT prove the true motives of any killer, so should not even attempt it.
They should prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and then issue a mandatory sentence for the crime committed.

What a load.  What can you possibly get out of making stuff up like this?  I know you're lying.  You know your lying.  What's the point?  We weren't even talking about hate crimes when you said that.  That was a totally different thread and you only recently brought hate crimes into the discussion.  You posted exacty what you did because you were hasty.  It's an honest mistake.  You looked at data that seemed like it was a slam dunk and then it turned out that it wasn't.  It's not a big deal.  Just say, "Oh,"  and that's that.

I see your intentions, which are good.
I also see your proposed methods, and those seem to be at odds with your intentions--as stated above.

Seriously man, you gotta start making some sense.  Have some caffein or something.

Best Kid iPad Apps