Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question About the Book  (Read 6267 times)

pete24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2006, 07:49:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question About the Book
« on: August 12, 2005, 07:15:12 am »
I just recently became very interested in building my own arcade game.  I just have one question about this book before I buy it.  Is it possible for someone with little to no experience with woodworking or electronics to actually build an arcade game with this book.  I have considered buying an empty cabinet, but if possible, I feel like building it myself would be so much more rewarding.  Any help or info. is appreciated.

RaggedEdge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2014, 09:09:04 am
Re: Question About the Book
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 08:55:08 am »
Pete24,

I had hardly any wood working skills before I started this project.  All I had was a drill and a circular saw (That I hardly ever used).  I bought the book and was wondering the same thing as you.  Could I actually build one.  So far, things are going along pretty well.  I think the best thing to have to build one of these things, is patience.  Patience to make it right.  There are so many times I just wanted to hurry up and get a step done.  I actually re-cut my side panels again because I was a little sloppy with the circular saw the first time.  I spent the time (and money) to make them again.  I have followed the book amost exactly throughout the project and have been able to avoid any major mistakes.  I had to go out and buy a router, sawhorses, and a jig saw along with all the supplies recommended in the book.  But now when my wife asks if I can build some shelves for her, instead of saying "I don't have the tools", now I proudly say "Sure, how big do you want them"  :D  I worked on this project during one of the most stressful times of my life.  In June I had the largest project of my career to complete, had a baby, and had to endure my grandfather passing away.  Somehow, I used this project as my outlet for all the stress I was going through.  Anyway, if you have any questions about the project let me know and check out my progress at the link below.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=41086.0

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 02:32:29 pm »
it's very possible.......

pete24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2006, 07:49:47 am
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:23:07 pm »
Thank you very much for your insight and for sharing your story.  I am encouraged by what you had to say and believe I'll actually give it a shot.  I just wanted to make sure that it was something I could do before I started it.  If anyone has any tips on getting started, I would definitely appreciate it.  I know there are a lot of things on the FAQ, but even some of that stuff is already over my head.  Thanks in advance.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 02:13:17 pm »
just continue to read on and don't be afraid to post your questions in the main forum there are many people that will help you.......

to start, decide wether you want to find an existing cabinet or build your own. you can find cabinet plans at:

http://www.jakobud.com

you'll find the more you read the more you'll start to understand it all.......

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 02:48:15 am »
Don't listen to them. Nobody here has actually built their own, they just bluff us all with their Photoshop skills....  ;)

Yes, it is possible with zero experience and it is a lot of fun. Good luck!

Living the delusional lifestyle.

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 11:52:38 pm »
I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I had no woodworking skills when we started - those belonged to my dad and my wife.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 11:54:25 pm by RTSDaddy2 »

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 01:35:10 pm »
Don't listen to them. Nobody here has actually built their own, they just bluff us all with their Photoshop skills....

Big_Daddy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2006, 03:55:03 pm
  • Beatmania and MAME!! First cab in progress...
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 04:43:43 pm »
Pete24,

I had hardly any wood working skills before I started this project.
I'm making a Project Arcade cab.

BenderTheGreat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2007, 08:58:15 am
  • Daring Duck of mystery, champion of right...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 06:57:43 pm »
This is making me a bit less worried for my first cab I'll be building. Thanks, guys! :applaud: