Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: More stupidity...  (Read 5007 times)

dhansen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 04:05:18 pm
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
More stupidity...
« on: December 22, 2002, 07:38:20 pm »
Hello, just a quick preview pic of my newest (and probably final) project.  It's a Joust 2 cab that was converted to Golden axe.  I picked it off of death row at a local arcade auction for $40.

Note: I am aware of the rarity of this cab.  This project is COMPLETELY reversible if I should happen upon a marquee,pcb,control panel, bezel, etc.  that won't cause me to go into debt.  But in the mean time it's running MAME.

Enjoy!

..as his cold lifeless fingers lie motionless on the garage floor, all he could hear in his head was...I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME OF DONKEY KONG!!

Birdtales

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
Re:More stupidity...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 09:12:35 pm »
Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!

Coming Soon

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 12:32:36 am »
VERY nice and clean(the cab looks new now..hehe)..but i am kinda err...okay somebody wanna tell me from what game this turkey comes from ??? ::).

I see this everywhere and always wonder what game this is..must be a REALLY fun game right?lot of people put this picture in their marque and sideart etc.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 12:48:14 am »
can you temporarily remove the blue joystick?  it looks like it is in the way.

Snaaaaaaake, that's an ostrich (spelling?).  It's the logo for joust, one of the best games ever made.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 01:19:44 am »
OH..i am gonna go try some of that Joust.... :)
I think the spelling is correct.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 01:38:26 am »
dhansen man, I don't give phrase on cabients very often, (Cause my momma taught me not to lie about my opinion)  but let me tell you that that's the most beautiful conversion I've ever seen, period.  Now that's what I call a a cab respectful mame.  :)  

I like it, joust "turkeys" and all.  ;)

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 01:47:12 am »
Wow, Doug, excellent work on the cab!  Nice side art restoration, too!  Did you repaint all that by hand?  I can't wait to see your write-up on this one, I know it's been a long time in the making.

Kelsey

dhansen

• Offline Offline
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2002, 02:07:01 am »
dhansen man, I don't give phrase on cabients very often, (Cause my momma taught me not to lie about my opinion)  but let me tell you that that's the most beautiful conversion I've ever seen, period.  Now that's what I call a a cab respectful mame.

Hey thanks Howard!  I appreciate that, actually I've had this cab for quite some time wanting to get the actual PCBs, etc. to restore it to it's former glory.  Until that happens, I'll use it to play my favorite vertical games such as tron (thus the blue stick).

can you temporarily remove the blue joystick?  it looks like it is in the way.

when you are standing at the machine, the stick only covers an extremely small portion of the screen.  It just looks in the way in this picture.

The side art was covered in laminate glue that I painstakingly removed with Goof Off and paint thinner.  The side art was in pretty good shape (painted on with stencils) but the black was in pretty poor shape.  I took clear contact paper and coverd the colored part of the side art and carefully cut around it with an exacto knife.  I then rolled the side with gloss black enamel paint.  I think it turned out pretty good.

The ostrich artwork on the CP and marquee is an actual photo of the cab itself (good idea PCC!)  that I cleaned up in photo shop and incorporated in the design.

Here's a couple of pics of the cp in natural light and in the dark:

Doug

..as his cold lifeless fingers lie motionless on the garage floor, all he could hear in his head was...I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME OF DONKEY KONG!!

Jeehemdee

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2002, 02:49:09 am »
Wonderful...
Just one question: where did you bought those joysticks ?

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2002, 02:56:08 am »
The joysticks are Raider Pro's and are made by interact.  the come in the blue black and i believe transparent.  you can get them at best buy, thats were i got mine

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2002, 07:52:17 am »
Lovely cab dhansen!  :)

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2002, 10:15:22 am »
Wow... a realy nice cab !!!...

I really like that arc of the control panel....
give it a REALLY nice and clean look.....

Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2002, 01:36:49 pm »
Looks excellent!  Is the spinner hard-drive based?

Was there ever a list of spinner-friendly hard drives compiled?  I had to take apart four to get mine, and by the time I was done had forgotten which it was from...

Anyways the cab is great, you're really starting to get too good at this.  If you don't mind me asking, how did you cut the curve into the plexi so well? Router? Meticulous dremeling?

Smittydc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2008, 12:48:10 am
  • because its fun!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2002, 02:16:40 pm »
Beautiful design!

Thanks for sharing.... inspires me to clean up my sideart a bit...
Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night.  Set a man on fire, he's warm the rest of his life.

dhansen

• Offline Offline
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2002, 02:33:15 pm »
Posted by: AGarv Posted on: Today at 12:36:49pm
Looks excellent!  Is the spinner hard-drive based?

Was there ever a list of spinner-friendly hard drives compiled?  I had to take apart four to get mine, and by the time I was done had forgotten which it was from...

Anyways the cab is great, you're really starting to get too good at this.  If you don't mind me asking, how did you cut the curve into the plexi so well? Router? Meticulous dremeling?  

Yes the spinner is hard drive based (what else?  ;D) I used the optic board from a broken wico trackball instead of the mouse guts and hooked it into my optipac.
The trackball is an old wico out of a Birdie King cab with a replacement traslucent blue ball from Bob Roberts.  I've had the best luck with old 250Mb Western Digital drives for the spinners.

I used a router to cut the lexan with my control panel as a guide.

I bought the orange ball tops from the e-bay guy. (can't remember his name right now) from left to right there is an 8-way wico leaf, hard drive spinner w/tempest replication knob, an 8-way super with Oscar/1up raider blue stick hack, a 4-way wico leaf, and another 4-way wico leaf set diagonally for Q-bert (I really like Q-Bert).

I'm glad you guys like it!

Doug

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
Niiiice
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2002, 07:12:57 pm »
that's awesome man!  I really like the color scheme's you layout, they look very good to the eye.  The sideart  makes it look new too.  Yeah, so that hard drive spinner I said I was working on oh, like 2 monthes ago, yeah i lost my friend's torx screwdriver (although I could swear I gave it back to him!!) and I don't get how you're supposed to drill the holes for the outside circles of the hard drive's top, you know that part that's like (oooo ascii art time):
                ____
             /    o      \
           /     __       \
          |o   /    \    o|
           \    \__/     /
             \ o      o /          <--- is round
               --------    

Those circle parts are so small, I've got no clue how to cut them and have the screws that go in them hold up the entire hard drive base, specially if I put weights on it.

One other quick question, is that a permanent vertical monitor?  And is it really that light?  cause the first picture that says Zaxxon on it looks incredibly washed out.
   -good job though, great cabinet
     -Luke

dhansen

• Offline Offline
  • No Quarters Needed
    • Arcade Stupidity
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2002, 11:18:06 pm »
The monitor is an electrohome G07 when turned off (or when a huge camera flash is shot at it) it looks light gray.  When it's turned on it is pretty brilliant, I have the ultimarc video brightner on this machine and that really helps.  See the dark pics I posted and you'll see the monitor's brightness.  

Here's another pic.. I didn't pause the game so the game is blurry because of the motion, but you can see the brightness:

About the hardrive spinner, you dont have to drill any small holes at all.. here's a diagram, (actually, don't waste your time and go buy an OSCAR! ;D):