Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for juke software  (Read 3769 times)

olsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2012, 10:33:35 pm
  • To play or not to play, that is a stupid question.
Looking for juke software
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:29:17 am »
Hello - I am looking for that magic jukebox software that will perfectly fit my every need.....(yeah right).

I have looked through almost everything listed in these threads but haven't found 'the one' yet.

I have a large collection of MP3's (5000+). They are all in one folder (X:\MUSIC) and aren't separated into folders for artist/album. I would like to keep them this way. They are all ID tagged and have the album art too.

I am looking for something that is very similar to the jukes you see in bars. Something with a front screen with four or more album covers and can be paged through alphabetically.  I want to click on the album art and it shows the songs on that album.....and the other albums available from the same artist.

I would also like a spot showing the song cue (something like the next 5-10 songs). It would also be cool to have a 'popular' feature. Also, a search by title/artist/genre would be nice.

Let me know if this software already exists and I just missed it? Otherwise let me know of something close or if someone much smarter than I would create it?

Thanks,
Steve O.
Why is it when we talk to God we are praying, but when God talks to us we are put into the loony bin?

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
Re: Looking for juke software
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 03:27:49 am »
It does exist, www.thepcjukebox.com and it's very good too. However you need a touchscreen as that is really what it is developed for. You can use it perfectly well with a mouse however should you have one cabled up. Or even better a track ball. The only downside is that it is commercial (Not to expensive unless you want the credit option then it's $199)...

I don't know if you took a look at the one i am working on but as i have only been working on it for a few days i could probably tailor it to what you wanted as it does most of it now just not in a tidy way...

Anyway i hope that helps
BB

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:05:24 pm »
Are you sure that's exactly what you want - I've got a massive collection too, and found that displaying 4 or even 8 albums on a screen is all well and good but it would take over an hour to actually page through them all....

...so you will probably want some form of search function by Alphabet or something...

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:34:54 pm »
Also, a search by title/artist/genre would be nice.

One of the issues that I keep running into is that the different programs will list my whole collection as on CD. I want something that reads the ID tag and knows the albums by that.
Why is it when we talk to God we are praying, but when God talks to us we are put into the loony bin?

Barry Barcrest

• Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 07:12:13 pm »
You mean like http://www.thepcjukebox.com  ???

Did you not check that out? It does exactly what you want and you can download a trial. Hopefully mine will eventually do what you want too but that doest it all right now without a problem (Bugs aside)

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 07:24:58 pm »
Barcrest -
I have downloaded the pcjukebox trial and have been checking it out. I did have problems with a few things on it. First it was reading my collection as one disk. Also, a portion of the screen was off of my monitor and I couldn't even scroll to see it all. I haven't really played around with it a lot so maybe some of this is fixable but not sure. I have also looked at your software and think it is a great start. Keep working on it and I think people will be really pleased.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 01:45:19 am »

I have a large collection of MP3's (5000+). They are all in one folder (X:\MUSIC) and aren't separated into folders for artist/album. I would like to keep them this way. They are all ID tagged and have the album art too.

I am looking for something that is very similar to the jukes you see in bars. Something with a front screen with four or more album covers and can be paged through alphabetically.

Chris' will do that with the new CD skin. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,37545.0.html

I want to click on the album art and it shows the songs on that album.....and the other albums available from the same artist.

This part, I don't get.  If you want to select them by album art, and show the songs n that album, why not folder-ize them and change your ripping in the future to make this a possible feature? 

It sounds as if, with all your music unorganized, you're wanting software that will organize it "on the fly" but won't do so "permanently".

Maybe I'm just not understanding your explanation on that part, though.

I would also like a spot showing the song cue (something like the next 5-10 songs). It would also be cool to have a 'popular' feature. Also, a search by title/artist/genre would be nice.

I know there's a que, dunno if there's a "popular" or "most played" feature, but hopefully Chris will chime in here, on anything missing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 01:55:49 am by DrewKaree »
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

SalmonKing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2007, 10:45:44 am
  • SK Jukebox
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 02:17:31 am »
SKJB would do the trick, if you were game enough to start organizing your files   ;)

Using something like 'Tag & Rename' would make the job pretty easy, if you already have them tagged correctly.

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:09:36 am »
Quote from: DrewKaree
[quote

I want to click on the album art and it shows the songs on that album.....and the other albums available from the same artist.

This part, I don't get.  If you want to select them by album art, and show the songs n that album, why not folder-ize them and change your ripping in the future to make this a possible feature? 

It sounds as if, with all your music unorganized, you're wanting software that will organize it "on the fly" but won't do so "permanently".

Maybe I'm just not understanding your explanation on that part, though.

Ok...I am currently using MusicMatch software and it is well organized within this program. The software takes the large list of music and it is shown in groups (by artist, album, genre, etc.). I would like to keep that as is (not folder-ize in Windows). However, I don't like MusicMatch for my cab. I prefer something that is more like a jukebox and less of a media player (something that fits with a game room or bar). I guess if I have to I could arrange my files into folders.

Thanks for the advise and tips everyone. Any other ideas for me?

Chris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 10:25:50 am »
Chris' will do that with the new CD skin.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 08:12:50 pm »
Chris -  I am using your software and I like it so far.
The album art is a problem though. It just shows one for all of the albums. I will look when I get home where they are kept. Also, would it be possible to do more than four per page? How about the linking of same artist too (when you pull up one album it has links to all albums by the same artist)? Just some thoughts.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:50 pm »
Also, would it be possible to do more than four per page?
The number of albums on a page is dependent on the skin.  If you have a high resolution screen, you can display as many albums as you like.  Edit CD4-1.skn in a text editor; it should be fairly obvious how to tinker with it to show more albums.
How about the linking of same artist too (when you pull up one album it has links to all albums by the same artist)? Just some thoughts.
That's a little more problematic, as it goes against the grain of what the jukebox is all about (modelling a physical jukebox).  However, I am planning to add filters that would allow you to select an artist and show only albums by that artist, but I have to clear some other things off my to-do list first.

--Chris
--Chris

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 04:55:12 am »
Chris-
I was able to adjust the skin as you mentioned. I have a 2x3 grid showing 6 albums. I tried more but this looked best. Is it possible to have a search function? It would take forever to page through the whole collection.

I found my album art. It is in the same single folder as all of the .mp3's with various naming schemes:
AlbumArt_{F4FE1170-A8E4-4710-A251-DF1C532937EF}_Large.jpg
Big Ones.jpg
Best Of.jpg
Bob Dylan.jpg
Greatest Hits [Columbia].jpg
title.jpg
Folder.jpg
album.jpg

This looks like it could be a problem? Somehow when using musicmatch it must know how to tie the art to the album? Maybe I will just start re-tagging and 'folder-izing'
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 04:59:16 am by olsteve »

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 08:12:02 am »
Chris-
I was able to adjust the skin as you mentioned. I have a 2x3 grid showing 6 albums. I tried more but this looked best. Is it possible to have a search function? It would take forever to page through the whole collection.

I found my album art. It is in the same single folder as all of the .mp3's with various naming schemes:
AlbumArt_{F4FE1170-A8E4-4710-A251-DF1C532937EF}_Large.jpg
Big Ones.jpg
Best Of.jpg
Bob Dylan.jpg
Greatest Hits [Columbia].jpg
title.jpg
Folder.jpg
album.jpg

This looks like it could be a problem? Somehow when using musicmatch it must know how to tie the art to the album? Maybe I will just start re-tagging and 'folder-izing'
You don't need to re-folderize... give me a few days to find a way to try to support this... it's just tying the image name to the album name in the mp3 tag.  Folder.jpg and AlbumArt*_Large are from Microsoft Media Player, in all likelyhood.
--Chris

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 12:23:54 am »
Too late. I have already started to reorganize and folder-ize my mp3's. I am using the tag&rename software. It works pretty good. It was probably a good thing for me to do anyway. I found a lot of mis-tagged music and some duplicated songs. The tag look-up function in tag&rename isn't the greatest.

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 05:54:16 am »
I still need some way to attach my album art to the MP3's. Folder-izing didn't fix this.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 12:21:46 pm »
Moving the album art into the folder for each album should get you your album art.

--Chris
--Chris

olsteve

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 02:23:36 am »
Do you know of an automated way to move the art? I don't want to manually do 5000+. I am not sure how the art is currently tied to the MP3? It must be embedded in the tag?

allroy1975

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2023, 08:51:48 pm
  • I'm a dork!
    • Matt's Mame
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 01:05:56 pm »
Some is built into the MP3 Tag itself.  Tag and rename will show you if it is.  Double click the file name..if it shows a pic, it's there, if not....it's not.

I'm in the process (STILL!) of going through my thousands of albums and getting artwork for them.  buy.com has really good scans of album covers, if it's not there I go to amazon, if I still can't find anything I do a google image search. 

It's a total PITA but I beleive it will produce the best results.  If someone could write something that would check a few of the most popular CD stores and download their artwork automatically that'd be awesome, or if anyone knows a better way then I'm doing it, I'm glad to change my ways. 

To answer your question:  I'm afraid it's going to be a long and painful process...at least mine has been.  I listen to a lot of Punk Rock and sometimes those bands are harder to find good pics of.

Allroy
They have the FAST Ms. Pac-Man!  MOM!  Can I have a quarter!??

Barry Barcrest

• Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 10:22:23 am »
http://www.mega-search.net/ is quite good for finding some of the harder to find covers that you can't get off amazon etc...