Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Ultra-Mega Massive 49-way Review online at Retroblast!  (Read 25351 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2024, 08:22:38 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
http://retroblast.com/reviews/49-way.html

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Ian (KenToad)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:18:29 pm by KenToad »

froggerman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
Re: Super Ultra-Mega Massive 49-way Review online at Retroblast!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:51:46 pm »
That is a great review Ian. Very well done.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 01:21:22 pm »
Thanks Froggerman. 

I want to personally and publicly thank Markrvp for his help with comparing the 49-way to other joysticks.   

And of course, thank you to all the wonderfully helpful folks here at the BYOAC forums. 

You'll notice that I make frequent reference to opinions on this forum, since I value the opinions on this forum so highly. 

It's easy to see that the folks on this forum prioritize truth and integrity in arcade controls. :)

Cheers,
KenToad

88mph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2018, 12:17:48 pm
  • I need fuel!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 01:42:38 pm »
Hey there,

Great review!  I'm currently hooking up a set of 49 ways (just got my player 1 stick going last night!) and your review convinced me to take the plunge on the rotary hack and interface.  Thanks for the comprehensive look at all of these products.

-88mph

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:45:46 pm »
Hey there,

Great review!  I'm currently hooking up a set of 49 ways (just got my player 1 stick going last night!) and your review convinced me to take the plunge on the rotary hack and interface.  Thanks for the comprehensive look at all of these products.

-88mph

Awesome, thanks.  Have fun with the (complete?) setup.

Cheers,
KenToad

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 02:14:02 pm »
I currently have a couple of super's (or is it competition ..) 8 way joysticks on my panel.  How hard is it to replace them with 49-way joysticks? Will I need to drill new holes? or am I stuck making a new panel?

thanks.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 02:26:10 pm »
I currently have a couple of super's (or is it competition ..) 8 way joysticks on my panel. How hard is it to replace them with 49-way joysticks? Will I need to drill new holes? or am I stuck making a new panel?

thanks.

I replaced the second joystick on my panel, a super, with a 49-way.  One problem might be that you, like me, mounted the supers with the long side vertical.  The 49-way joysticks must be mounted horizontally, with extra room on the left side for the connector on the 49-way joysticks.  I haven't actually physically matched up the holes on the two different types of joysticks, so, in your case, if you haven't got them mounted vertically, I would check out Markrvp's template.  You can print it out at 100% and match it up to your setup.

Here is the link:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,35820.0.html

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
KenToad

*Edit* That topic has been updated and somehow I missed it.  You can mount the 49-way joystick with the long edge vertical.  You just have to unscrew the assembly and reorientate the PCB to face left to get it to work normally with the GPWiz-49.  Also, do a search for super joystick template and you could just compare the two printouts.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 02:35:05 pm by KenToad »

fl0yd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2009, 12:24:39 am
    • Rotary Adapter for Midway 49-Way Joystick
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 02:51:14 pm »
I thought the review was great!

Another thing to note about replacing a super with a 49-way is the hole used for the shaft.  If you are using wood, a 1 1/8" hole works for the shaft, but the 49-way joystick needs 1 1/4" to not 'bump' into the wood.  The bumping doesn't stop the diagonals from being registered, it just has a different feel than normal.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 02:54:15 pm »
Thanks Floyd.  I've really enjoyed your product.

Cheers,
KenToad

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 04:30:49 pm »
GREAT JOB!!!  That was a really well written article (I'm not just saying that because I got mentioned).  Very objective and gave both the positive and negative aspects.  I think anyone reading that has all the info they need to make their purchasing decisions.

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 05:05:04 pm »
KenToad,
I'm going to play devil's advocate.  Please don't get me wrong as I think you did great job stepping up to the plate and reviewing the products, but I just want to add some constructive criticism so that your next review is even better.

Disclaimer: My wording and wordchoice is going to be bad only for affect as the article isn't as bad as I'm describing.

1. I think the descriptions could of been a little clearer and your thoughts more organized.  More of a separation, between the products and a description of their use in theory.  You describe some aspects well, but if you take Druin's board for example you hardly describe how it operates in theory or anywhere in the article.  You go throught all the other parts in the intro and there is a picture of Druins board, but you don't talk about it.

2. 4-way description - You mentioned you could make Mario stop if you moved the joystick to the extreme diagonals, but here it's been alluded that in actual game play you wouldn't do that.  You kinda left this open ended and it makes it seem a little negative for the GGG board.  On one hand, you are playing PAC-MAN fine, but you run the extreme test in Donkey Kong, but don't actually say how Donkey Kong was in normal play.

3.  You start off talking about fighters.  I don't play these games generally, but I thought oh cool an aspect I haven't heard anything about.  But you don't describe gameplay in 8-way at all.  And the fighter reference only comes up again a little bit in the conclusion.  I think the gameplay section could of been greatly lengthened, that's why we are all here ;D

4.  I'm not sure how accurate some of your statements are "technically" especially when  you are talking about analog modes, but this is pretty picky.

Overall I think it may have been like I said in #1.  Add to that a little more detail, especially in gameplay, and I think it would of been that much better.

This is just a quick rundown, but I think you'll see where I am coming from.  Keep the reviews coming.

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 05:17:21 pm »
AWESOME!!

Great job.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:01:10 pm by timoe »

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:29:46 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 05:44:46 pm »
Great job, this review has helped me a lot!  Thanks.
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 06:11:58 pm »
take Druin's board for example you hardly describe how it operates in theory or anywhere in the article.

shodokan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2007, 01:57:20 am
  • Fighting Game Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 06:21:51 pm »
can these be used with jamma?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 07:32:59 pm »
KenToad,
I'm going to play devil's advocate.  Please don't get me wrong as I think you did great job stepping up to the plate and reviewing the products, but I just want to add some constructive criticism so that your next review is even better.

Disclaimer: My wording and wordchoice is going to be bad only for affect as the article isn't as bad as I'm describing.

Keep the reviews coming.

Yeah, thanks a lot for the feedback, 2600, I would have been a little suspicious if not a single person offered up a little criticism.  I also appreciate that you buffered it with praise.  Also, thanks go to Markrvp for explaining a bit of the rationale for writing the review this way.  Mark is right that I tried to make it clear that the quirks are in the joystick and the software, not in the hardware, which works as you would expect--basically as they are marketed.

1. I think the descriptions could of been a little clearer and your thoughts more organized.  More of a separation, between the products and a description of their use in theory.  You describe some aspects well, but if you take Druin's board for example you hardly describe how it operates in theory or anywhere in the article.  You go throught all the other parts in the intro and there is a picture of Druins board, but you don't talk about it.
To answer what you're referring to in number 1 of your points, yeah, I didn't really want to get into the technical business of the hardware.  I tried to make it a review of how easily things could be setup by a lay-person and how well they would work.  I think the how it works section is really best left to the people who made the products.

2. 4-way description - You mentioned you could make Mario stop if you moved the joystick to the extreme diagonals, but here it's been alluded that in actual game play you wouldn't do that.  You kinda left this open ended and it makes it seem a little negative for the GGG board.  On one hand, you are playing PAC-MAN fine, but you run the extreme test in Donkey Kong, but don't actually say how Donkey Kong was in normal play.
What I tried to explain is what Mark was referring to.  Gameplay in Donkey Kong will depend largely upon how the player approaches the joystick.  I can't really say "normal" play since everyone I know plays really differently.  One guy I know pushes my heavy standalone CP right off the table, while another guy acts like the sticks have got cooties.  Probably neither one of those guys would be sensitive enough to notice that you can stop Mario on a ladder by finding the extreme diagonals.

3.  You start off talking about fighters.  I don't play these games generally, but I thought oh cool an aspect I haven't heard anything about.  But you don't describe gameplay in 8-way at all.  And the fighter reference only comes up again a little bit in the conclusion.  I think the gameplay section could of been greatly lengthened, that's why we are all here ;D
Other than inviting you over to play SFII with my joysticks , ;D I doubt I could explain it better than to say that I can do all the moves with ease.  There are a million 8-way games and I haven't found one that didn't react wonderfully to this device.  It's all a question of feel.

4.  I'm not sure how accurate some of your statements are "technically" especially when  you are talking about analog modes, but this is pretty picky.
I did some research about the technical aspects, just because I was curious, but I didn't include it in the review.  Check out u_rebel_scum's technical page on 49-ways that is linked to at the end of the Retroblast Review.  Also, I reread all the postings about the GPWiz-49 and Randy didn't exactly tell anybody how the system technically works.  There were several requests for info. that RandyT politely turned down.   I would suggest sending PM'ing him if you want details of how the DRS Technology works.;)

Anyway, 2600, I love criticism and you've given me that.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and digest the review so thoroughly.

Also, a big thanks again to Markrvp and the others who said they enjoyed the review.

Cheers,
KenToad

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 07:35:05 pm »

I have zero experience with Jamma, but the GPWiz-49 is a USB device, so I doubt it.  Anyone else?

Cheers,
KenToad

sc1103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2020, 08:37:35 pm
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 09:23:27 pm »
Great Review-I've been debating swappable panels or the 49-ways, and though I ended up selecting the panels, this review was of great help inmaking the decision.  One minor nit-pick; however, in the review you state that the "the drawbacks of a having many different types of joysticks outweigh the drawbacks of playing games with non-original controls".  Should the abillity to switch between multiple modes be considered a drawback?  I see that as an advantage, not a drawback  :P
Great review nevertheless!

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 11:43:40 pm »

I have zero experience with Jamma, but the GPWiz-49 is a USB device, so I doubt it.  Anyone else?

Cheers,
KenToad

JAMMA + 49-way = No Way!

JAMMA is for regular digital (2, 4, and 8 way) joysticks only.

As for the review, I liked it, but would have liked to see at least a mention of the alternatives: the SJC 49-way controller interface, and the Williams 49-way joystick.  Not necessarily a full-blown comparison, as this was obvioulsy an article about one specific setup- but a mention of the alternatives would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 11:49:07 pm by Kremmit »

Brewser

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2006, 02:01:48 pm
  • Fighting the forces of evil since 1978
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 01:06:40 am »
Fantastic article. I have been waiting for this.
I actually ordered the joysticks last weekend and just received shipping confirmation.
I have the SlikStik CO2 and it looks like I will have to drill bigger holes for the 49-way. I am not sure how I am going to do this. I don't have a drill press or a router and my board is already populated to even get a router in there. This is something I was unaware of when ordering the sticks.
Any thoughts to drilling bigger holes? I believe the holes are drilled 1 1/8" now.
Another questions is I have the IPac 4 now and ordered 2 max's. Would I replace the IPac 4 with the Wiz Max's or use both?
Thanks for the great article and any help to the above questions.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 07:29:55 am »
Great Review-I've been debating swappable panels or the 49-ways, and though I ended up selecting the panels, this review was of great help inmaking the decision.  One minor nit-pick; however, in the review you state that the "the drawbacks of a having many different types of joysticks outweigh the drawbacks of playing games with non-original controls".  Should the abillity to switch between multiple modes be considered a drawback?  I see that as an advantage, not a drawback  :P
Great review nevertheless!
KenToad may reply to this later, but I think you misread what he was saying.

What I think KenToad means by "having many different types of joysticks" is physical sticks, not multiple modes.

I.e. - the 49-way is not as accurate in any game as the dedicated controls, but the ability to have a single joystick rather than an SNK LS-30 for Ikari, a Wico Leaf for Robotron, a Happ Reunion for Pac-Man, a rotated 4-way for Q-Bert, a Happ Comp for MK, a 49-way for Sinistar, a Yoke for Star Wars, etc. is more important than having all the panels required to support all those other sticks.

At least that's how I took it.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 07:51:19 am »
The one item I would have liked to hear in the review is using analog+ mame with the floyds rotary adapter.

It has 2 extra settings.  One with direct connections (all 12 inputs) but that doesn't work (have to look at this have to look at this have to look at this) with ikari games and vict road.  But when you compare it with time soldiers its amazing.  SUPER quick turn left 4 shoot then turn right 4 and your back as fast as you can do it.  This is a MUST imho in vict road to fully be able to use the sword.  I used to be able to make it through the game with just the sword and super bombs.

Then it also has a single "L" or single "R" that will always move one click.  This was GREAT with the MK64 encoder since you could change the speed that each input was triggered.  I don't know if the druins board can do it....

But anyway, even at stock settings for mk64 boards.  The single click left / right was MUCH better then the analog version.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 07:57:00 am »
First off, I have only skimmed the review, but it seemed pretty accurate and balanced, judging by what I have read about the interface in the forums here.

I would like to comment on some of 2600's comments.

Actually, I thought the review did a very good job organizationally.  The fact that I could skim over it and not miss too much also confirms this.  Possibly the Druin board could be expanded on, but this board has been available for several years now, and I think most forum members will be familiar with it.  (I'm not sure there's not a separate Retroblast review on it anyway.)
Yeah, I came away with mixed feelings about this as well.  A true 4-way should NEVER register the diagonals.  I understand RandyT left some of the extreme diagonals in on the 4-way mode, so it would work better with TRON, and by nature Donkey Kong suffers more from this than Pac-Man, but I ended up wondering if the GP-Wiz49 really should have a true 4-way mode with no diagonals for Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.

I guess it does to some extent come down to play style, though.
Just want to add my general agreement that the gameplay section is the most important.
I think I see what 2600 is getting at here (and I think MarkRVP and KenToad missed this, no offense). 

RandyT has stated that the stick is designed to work on the Hall-Effect and 49-way type analog games - i.e. Food Fight, EPROM, SiniStar, Blaster, Road Runner, Arch Rivals, Blitz, etc.

He hasn't said that it sucks (wouldn't really expect him to  ;) ), but he has implied that it does not work THAT well (is usable, is probably the term he used) in true analog games - i.e. Star Wars, PaperBoy, Afterburner, Red Baron, Space Harrier, Outrun, etc.

KenToad's review basically makes it sound like the sticks work fine in any of these games.  (Maybe they work better than RandyT is implying, I haven't tried them.)

But I think that was 2600's point.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 12:48:52 pm »
Hey Tiger-Heli,

Thanks for adding your valued input to the criticism initialized by 2600.  I agree with most of what you guys are saying.  I also believe gameplay is the most important for the user, but it is also the most subjective part of the review. 

I would rather try to forge a consensus here on the forum from users of the hardware than impose my own idea of playability upon the widest variety of games.  I tried to make it clear from the beginning that I remember the fighter-type games the best and certainly appreciated the subtle differences between those types of controls better than other types. 

I also had mixed feelings about the four-way mode, still do.  I kept wondering why RandyT didn't make a "pure" 4-way mode.  I actually speculated that possibly having the diagonals there made the 4-way mode more balanced, that it might be really difficult or that the maps might come out slightly unbalanced without the three corner spots on the grid being used for diagonals, if you get my drift.   But I really couldn't confirm that suspicion without actually seeing the grid maps that RandyT uses.  Still, I'm sure it was a combination of factors--Tron playability for sure, less redundancy among modes as well as possibly an easier mapping scheme overall.  Also, maybe RandyT just prefers Tron to Donkey Kong. :)

As for the analog section, it may be too hard to tell just how poorly the 49-way plays higher resolution analog games without the actual games there alongside to test.  That said, my point was that it would take a very sensitive person to notice generally that Star Wars is more difficult than it should be.  I had several friends try that game and a few other high-resolution analog games with the 49-way stick and certainly everyone was just really happy playing.  If you're familiar with the game or expect perfect playability, don't expect the 49-way to make you happy.  Again, totally subjective, based on memory, experience, etc. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys. 

I'm impressed that you gleaned so much just by skimming the article, Tiger-Heli.

Cheers,
KenToad

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:02:25 pm »
Fantastic article. I have been waiting for this.
I actually ordered the joysticks last weekend and just received shipping confirmation.
I have the SlikStik CO2 and it looks like I will have to drill bigger holes for the 49-way. I am not sure how I am going to do this. I don't have a drill press or a router and my board is already populated to even get a router in there. This is something I was unaware of when ordering the sticks.
Any thoughts to drilling bigger holes? I believe the holes are drilled 1 1/8" now.
Another questions is I have the IPac 4 now and ordered 2 max's. Would I replace the IPac 4 with the Wiz Max's or use both?
Thanks for the great article and any help to the above questions.

I don't have a SlikStik, but I don't see why you couldn't get a drill bit into the holes to widen them.  Someone with more carpentry skills may have to chime in here.

I guess replacing the IPac4 would depend upon how many buttons you're using on the control panel.  I believe the GPWiz-49 (any version) will give you 23 inputs plus five shifted.  It's funny.  Even after writing the review I have trouble remembering offhand exactly how many inputs the device has. 

Hope that helps.  Good luck with your plans.  I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

Cheers,
KenToad

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 01:47:02 pm »
I'm just glad you used "Super Ultra-Mega Massive" in the topic title, my one and only contribution to this review.  ;)

Good job, btw. Great first review, and I'm looking forward to more. (Now go review something else! <crack!>)

Your compassionate overlord,

Kevin
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 01:49:52 pm »

You can get a curved wooden rasp at Home Depot or another hardware store and gradually rasp away the opening in the hole until you get the clearance you need.

Brewser

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2006, 02:01:48 pm
  • Fighting the forces of evil since 1978
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:30 pm »
Thanks Mark that is what I will do. I really don't want to rewire everything just to hook up the new sticks.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 06:09:30 pm »
Okay, I read the article thoroughly, and I have a couple more suggestions:

This section on 4-way Mode:

In 4-way mode, the joystick showed the four expected directions, but also, surprisingly, the diagonals also appeared as small areas at the end of the joystick

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 07:13:36 pm »
As such, I think this adaptor and interface should be taken with a grain of salt. If you

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 07:53:13 pm »
  I also had mixed feelings about the four-way mode, still do.  I kept wondering why RandyT didn't make a "pure" 4-way mode.  I actually speculated that possibly having the diagonals there made the 4-way mode more balanced, that it might be really difficult or that the maps might come out slightly unbalanced without the three corner spots on the grid being used for diagonals, if you get my drift.   But I really couldn't confirm that suspicion without actually seeing the grid maps that RandyT uses.  Still, I'm sure it was a combination of factors--Tron playability for sure, less redundancy among modes as well as possibly an easier mapping scheme overall.  Also, maybe RandyT just prefers Tron to Donkey Kong. :)

The only alternatives to leaving the diagonals "on" in the extreme corners of the grid would have been to make those spaces dead (same as a perfectly centered stick), or choose one of the cardinal directions at random.  A random direction might get you killed in any game, so that's probably the worst solution.  A dead space is no better than a diagonal if you're playing Donkey Kong, and a diagonal is better than a dead space if you're playing Tron, so the diagonal is the best possible choice.  In my opinion, at least.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 10:20:23 pm »
No, that's not a typo, Tiger-Heli, just what I believe, FWIW.  Thanks Minwah for correctly pointing out my rationale.  Also, Tiger-Heli, I'm taking all of what you're saying to heart, but I still believe that my purpose in the review was to analyze the performance of the hardware, not to say that "most good 4-ways will never hit diagonals," which I'm not really sure that I believe now that I've tried this DRS thingamabob.  I also can't really remember just how hard you had to "try" to be able to hit the diagonals in Tron.  I haven't seen one of those machines in years. :)

"Still open for debate is whether the GP Wiz49 would benefit from a 'true 4 way' mode which did not allow for any diagonals, particularly in Donkey Kong." 

I completely agree with you, Tiger-Heli, and well-stated, although this really seems to be similar to what I mentioned in the article.  i.e. I still think it's entirely dependent upon the way the user approaches the joystick, as to whether you need Donkey Kong to play completely without the diagonals or just whether you play at the end of the joystick's throw. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Kremmit.  Also, to add to what you've said, I don't think what RandyT has come up with is a problematic tradeoff, even if it was impossible to do otherwise.  I hardly ever notice there are diagonals in 4-way mode until I boot up Tron, which IMO, is exactly how it should be.

Yup, Minwah, that's exactly what I'm saying about the 49-ways in analog games, except the only time I could really notice it for sure was when I couldn't spell my name in Food Fight. 

I also like Caliber 50, could be a bit longer, though.

Thanks a million, guys, for all the feedback.  I really do appreciate the time and effort and attempts to clarify and all that. 

Cheers,
KenToad

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 11:19:16 pm »
bottom line = thank you

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 06:52:15 am »
No, that's not a typo, Tiger-Heli, just what I believe, FWIW.  Thanks Minwah for correctly pointing out my rationale.
Okay, I obviously didn't get what you meant by an analog solution then.  I still think it would be better to refer to it as an "optical rotary" or "analog optical rotary"  (or "analog optical rotary (spinner)") solution.

The problem I have with the new logic, is it would then read

As such, I think this adaptor and interface should be taken with a grain of salt. If you

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 10:19:17 am »
Don't worry, Tiger-Heli, I would never ignore anything you've said. ;)  However, despite the fact that it's a review, I tried to be slightly unbiased, especially concerning this very issue with the 4-way mode, by giving a little how and a little why along with my opinions.  Although I'm certain that this is how I want my four-way mode to behave, I really don't feel like I could be certain that it's how others want their 4-way mode.  Another reviewer may have given a less positive review if all they wanted to do was play DK just how they remember it and they kept finding the diagonals.

You've never gotten past the first level in DK. :o  Well, that's OK.  I've never seen the pie factory, except as a screenshot.  I actually prefer DK Junior.  I even once had the mini-version, crazy birds all the time, pretty hard.  I wish I could find that one again.  After I moved out of the house, my Mom seems to have kept all my crappy toys and given away the good ones.  Sighhhhhh ...

Cheers,
KenToad

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 10:21:45 am »
bottom line = thank you

No, thank you ... for demanding that someone do the review. 

I'm in review mode.  I need something else to review.  Somebody suggest something. 

Cheers,
KenToad

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 10:28:01 am »
I'm in review mode.  I need something else to review.  Somebody suggest something. 
Wanna rewire your rotary adapter (maybe just the P2 if you have two of them) to the "extra" inputs on your GP-Wiz49 and test what games do and don't work with direct connection in MAME Analog Plus?  (Just a thought!)

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 10:41:35 am »
Don't worry, Tiger-Heli, I would never ignore anything you've said. ;)
It might not be a bad idea, at least sometimes  ;)
However, despite the fact that it's a review, I tried to be slightly unbiased, especially concerning this very issue with the 4-way mode, by giving a little how and a little why along with my opinions.  Although I'm certain that this is how I want my four-way mode to behave, I really don't feel like I could be certain that it's how others want their 4-way mode.
That's why you leave the IMO in there!  ;D  (And why you try to be extra careful to say that when something is opinion and leave it out when it's not).
Another reviewer may have given a less positive review if all they wanted to do was play DK just how they remember it and they kept finding the diagonals.
It may be kinda moot, though.  Original DK used a restricted Wico 4-Way (or was it Monroe/Nintendo) leaf switch joystick, correct?  So depending on how the leafs were set, you would either get a diagonal, dead spot, or one of the primary directions on a true diagonal and it would mess up anyway.

For example, I played a lot of original PacMan machines and I remember having the player go in uncommanded directions lots of times, but that has never been something I wanted to replicate with my arcade controls.   ;)

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 12:41:50 pm »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:46:17 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2005, 02:46:52 pm »
First of all, I want to thank Ken for the outstanding work, although I'm not too keen on the editor's use of the word "co-dependent" in refering to these products.  The GP-Wiz49 works quite well without extra interface boards or rotary adapters, thankyouverymuch :).

But I have to comment on something.

That is DonkeyKong.  This was brought up as the "acid test" by someone who's name I am too lazy to dig up.  To be honest, I'm not sure exactly why this is.  Getting "stuck on ladders" may actually be a problem with a normal 8-way stick if you think you are pushing up, but are in reality at a diagonal.  This is extremely unlikely to happen with the 4-way DRS mode as the only way you will be in a diagonal is if the stick is in one of the 4 out of 49 possible areas it is capable of resolving, and when you are there, you darn well know it! ;)

Getting "stuck" on a ladder is something that can happen with any stick, even the original one on the arcade machine.  In fact, it was such a common occurance, it was mentioned in the old "How To Win at Video Games" books in the eighties!

Specifically, you must continue moving up until the Mario is standing there facing away from you with both hands at his sides.  Only then can you move left or right.  Any attempt to do so before he is in that position will result in being "stuck" because he is still on the ladder.  As you can see, the joystick plays far less a role here than one's playing abilities.

Due to the long throw of the 49-way and the fact that it isn't necessary to travel anywhere near the  end of it for the DRS modes to function well, it's very, very unlikely that you will hit that diagonal without having the actual intention of doing so.  And in the case of DonkeyKong, rolling through it won't make even the tiniest bit of difference, so long as you are actually at the top of the ladder.

RandyT

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 03:17:39 pm by RandyT »