Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking a PC speaker... does it matter?  (Read 1905 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Hacking a PC speaker... does it matter?
« on: June 27, 2005, 01:35:05 pm »
I'm planning on hacking some PC speakers into the speakers from my jukebox.

Does the quality of the speakers make that much of a difference?  I won't be using the speakers themself... and there aren't any subwoofers or anything.

I was kinda thinking of going with one of the slightly cheap subwoofer + 2 speakers.. and hack both speakers and keep the subwoofer inbetween.

Any comments?

M3talhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2020, 07:35:12 pm
  • Dont let Donkey Kong use your toilet.......
Re: Hacking a PC speaker... does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 02:58:29 pm »
Get a cheap set of Creative Labs or Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers (that include a 5" sub) and hack the satelite speakers apart. You can mount those in your cab, or, if you want some real sound, pick up a set of car audio speakers with the same impedance (usually 4 or 8 ohms) and just do a swap.

There are several tutorials floating around the web, and a few minutes on Google should put you in the right direction.
Signature tags are dumb.

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 05:12:34 pm »
I found a set of 2.1 Creative speakers with sub and wired remote for $40. They've got some power in them, considering the size and price. They won't fill more than one room, though. You just won't get that sort of power out of stereo computer speakers.

You could also use some sort of RF transmitter in conjunction with speakers to get bigger sound. Use a splitter to send audio signal to the PC speakers and the RF transmitter. That way you could tune in with a home stereo and get some real power out of it without having to invest alot more money and without having to deal with wiring.

They make USB RF transmitters for PC car audio, but I'd recommend hacking a traditional audio-in RF transmitter. The USB RF transmitters would steal the audio signal from any other speakers hooked up to the PC whereas the headphone jack RF transmitter would just share the same line-out.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 07:49:23 pm »
The jukebox has 2 speakers in it.  I was planning on using.  I never thought to check to see the impedence.  I'll go check and see...