Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Free Air Subs: Anyone use them?  (Read 1847 times)

Luckydevil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2007, 01:38:45 pm
  • mmmm.... kilowatts.
    • Garage Junkies
Free Air Subs: Anyone use them?
« on: June 24, 2005, 08:17:56 am »
Space constraints are preventing me from making a proper subwoofer box on my cab so I am looking at subs that are free-air (infinite baffle) rated.

For those of you that don't know these are car audio subs that are meant to be mounted between the trunk and interior of the car, basically using the trunk as the box.

I'm just curious if anyone on here has any experience with them and what they thought. Thanks.

Luckydevil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2007, 01:38:45 pm
  • mmmm.... kilowatts.
    • Garage Junkies
Re: Free Air Subs: Anyone use them?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 11:08:30 pm »
no one???

Well I'm ordering these next week so I'll be sure to post a review. These Blaukpunkt subs come very highly recommended for use in free air enclosures, so we'll see how they hold up in a cab. Crutchfield has them in pairs for $70.

The cone is also a translucent blue and they make an led ring to make them all pretty.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KLbM83RTZ6M/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67700&id=features_and_specs&i=023TSW1200

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 09:47:24 am »
Space constraints are preventing me from making a proper subwoofer box on my cab...

How so?  That sub is rated for 0.5-2.0 ft3 boxes.  I think they used to have a utilty for making the "ideal" box on their website.  The problem you'll run into is sealing the rear of the speaker from the front.  In a car, the trunk can be 100% sealed from the passenger compartment.  In a cabinet, it would be difficult to seal the rear of the speaker from the front.  There are a lot of "leaks" that would need to be addressed.  Have you thought about mounting the sub on the floor of the cabinet and building a false floor higher up to mount the computer/pcb's?

MudFlapMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2010, 02:13:10 pm
  • If you will it... it is no dream, Dude...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 02:56:01 pm »
Why not just build a speaker enclosure and mount it inside the cabinet?.. you're not going to notice any difference if it's mounted on the flood of the cab as opposed to higher up..

G