Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Templates to Wood  (Read 5519 times)

DCZX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2005, 05:08:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Templates to Wood
« on: June 24, 2005, 01:55:07 am »
I'm wanting to transfer the plans to wood. I am thinking about having the plans (TIF files) printed at a blueprint shop for $14 and attaching the to the wood, then cutting it.

Is this the best way to go or is there another way?

thank you

slayj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2006, 02:49:56 pm
  • Anybody seen my joy...???!
Re: Templates to Wood
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:10:15 pm »
I would just draw the lines on the wood.  The main benefit of this is that on the books plans several pieces are draw side by side.  When cutting you will lose a small amount of wood from either piece, or more from one than the other depending on how you cut.  Most places that sell MDF will have the sheets larger then the documented size.  Use this to your advantage and draw small spaces between your cuts so that you get more accurate results. 
Did you know if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its butt!!!

DCZX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2005, 05:08:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 05:08:59 pm »
So... should I print them and trace the patterns on? Or should I just figure out the measurements and draw them on? Which one are you saying?

thanks

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 10:13:39 pm »
Measure, then draw.  We did this, adjusting as needed to accomodate our 32" TV.  For the curve, we did copy it and trace a larger image of it using an overhead projector - you can see the results here:

http://hometown.aol.com/rtsdaddy2/myhomepage/profile.html

Basically, though, the rest of the cabinet is a set of straight lines.  Remember though, measure twice (or five times, if you want), and cut once!  I would encourage you to buy one extra sheet of wood if you can afford it, just in case a mistake is made. :D.  Good luck!

donjuanzx9

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2008, 03:00:28 am
  • NATURAL BORN GAMER!
    • go to rom-forum
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 01:44:07 am »
I do allot of work with scroll saw and here is a trick to cut your control panel. print the plans to correct size and glue them on your wood with glue stick ,since glue stick
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 07:24:53 am by donjuanzx9 »

tribalredfox

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 06:06:58 pm »
...here is a trick to cut your control panel. print the plans to correct size and glue them on your wood with glue stick ,since glue stick  is not permanent just a bit tacky,you can just peel the paper right off after your finish cutting.Oh ya don't forget to apply the glue to the paper only.Then you can cut right through the paper getting the perfect result every time.Just a little trick of mine.

Exactly!  On top of that....if you flip the image horizontally then you can put the image on the back of the control panel.  Then you don't have to worry about cleaning the residue off the part of the panel that is going to show.