Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is it posible to...  (Read 1483 times)

Hellfromabove

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 05:45:41 pm
  • Soundwave Superior, Constructocons Inferior!
Is it posible to...
« on: December 05, 2002, 11:06:03 am »
... hack a mouse to a track ball because I want to make a cab and I am going to have a mouse on it but I dont want to use the mouse I would rather use a track ball. Please reply. Thanx.

-See Ya!!!

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Is it posible to...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 11:25:55 am »
... hack a mouse to a track ball because I want to make a cab and I am going to have a mouse on it but I dont want to use the mouse I would rather use a track ball. Please reply. Thanx.

-See Ya!!!

sure it is... I just did one not too long ago...

2 helpful links

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bakaye/tballhack.htm

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/MouseHack.html

rampy

Polecat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 01:32:57 pm
  • I'm not the Llama!
    • The Clark Zoo
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2002, 01:09:38 pm »
The way I'm approaching it with my cocktail cabinet is using the Opti-Pac optical encoder.  It makes the trackball look like a mouse to windows.  On top of that, you can wire in any button to work as the left or right mouse buttons.

While I don't have the trackballs hooked up, I'm still looking for them and don't want to pay $125 each for a 1.5" trackball.  However, I do have my spinners wired up to it and have the buttons wired into the Opti-Pac and the I-Pac.

gtjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2006, 05:06:20 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 03:02:48 pm »
Spend $40 at ebay and buy a 3" betson imperial trackball with a ps2 connector.  Search for "arcade trackball" at ebay

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 04:55:46 pm »
sure it is... I just did one not too long ago...

2 helpful links

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bakaye/tballhack.htm

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/MouseHack.html

rampy

that second link is the way I went, MUCH easier.  I just went to compusa, picked up their cheapest USB mouse.  Now, mice IR recievers either have 3 or 4 pins.  4 pins is a little harder to figure out, but it is basically the same.  You know from the trackball axis (single axis) there is a X1 and X2 (Y1 and Y2 for the other axis).  Those two wires and power will goto the IR receiver on the mouse board if the IR receiver has 3 pins.  ground is easy to find out looking at the circuitry.  The other two is basically a guess.  I made leads off of pins with quick disconnects so I can switch things around when needed.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2002, 07:20:43 pm »
Spend $40 at ebay and buy a 3" betson imperial trackball with a ps2 connector.  Search for "arcade trackball" at ebay

I'm guessng a 3" trackball would be a bit too big for a cocktail control panel...  unless you forgoe a joystick... and even then, it's probably still too big...

*Shrug*

rampy

BTW if you have the bread, and optipac would suit your needs without allthe hacking and is very flexible/usefull if you are going for multiple tballs/spinners/etc...

Hellfromabove

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 05:45:41 pm
  • Soundwave Superior, Constructocons Inferior!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2002, 09:27:29 pm »
Thanx for the replys guys, I am so glad that it is cause it would look like crap if I had a mouse showing on it. Thanx.

-See Ya!!!