Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: removal, then discharge...how best to accomplish?  (Read 1628 times)

Xphile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 12:54:48 am
  • I'll never go back to the NHL!
removal, then discharge...how best to accomplish?
« on: December 04, 2002, 10:32:25 am »
I picked up a space harrier upright at auction, and I want to strip it down and restore it, but I can't access the back of the monitor to discharge (because of the cabinets' design) until I remove the monitor.. question is, where (besides the glass :-) ) is it safe to touch while removing..?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2002, 10:33:52 am by Xphile »
Pull a year and a half strike- it's over 4eva..
besides, WHL rocks!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:removal, then discharge...how best to accomplish?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 01:13:26 am »
You should be fine if you can get away with only touching the supporting frame.  You only risk getting a shock if you touch the neck board, main board, or the suction cup.  Make sure the cab is unplugged and off.  Pull out the monitor just far enough to expose the suction cup, and follow the discachard method posted everywhere else on the web.  

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2002, 09:04:37 pm »
thank you, wish me luck..:-)
besides, WHL rocks!

CM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 08:59:17 pm
  • The internet?!? Is that thing still around?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 05:32:35 pm »
hmmm 4 days and we haven't heard back .... you think we should have been more specific  ??  ;)

ZZZAAAPPP!!! :o

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 12:09:44 am »
Sorry, I just did it tonight.. took longer than I thought to get around to taking everything out of the cab for it's fresh paint, and getting Bob's safeback discharger put together..:-)

wow, nothing happened. nadda, zilch...put on rubber gloves (just in case), workboots with the rubber soles (ditto:-)... took the cover of an outlet and grounded the end of the safeback's wire to the groundwire in the box, slid the safeback under the suction cup cover, and made contact with the wire.  

hmm,,nothing...

I touch the wire again, with a better angle this time, my finger gingerly holding the suction cup thingy up a little so I can see better..nope.  
I touch everything that looks high voltage..zero.

I stick the blade of the safeback in the electrical outlet to make sure it's working..(ok, just kidding about that:-)

I was expecting fire and brimstone to errupt from the bowels of the earth itself, but I suppose I have a monitor with a self bleeding function..:-)

thank you guys for the advice, (and Bob for the step by step safeback discharger instructions) - now I'll have a tool for the next time..

besides, WHL rocks!