Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Opinions on the WHOLE GAMUT of Console->PC Adapters...  (Read 1786 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:46:13 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Opinions on the WHOLE GAMUT of Console->PC Adapters...
« on: December 04, 2002, 10:11:05 am »
I've been looking over this site and searching the web for Console Controller -> PC Adapters, and need some opinions.. There seem to be quite a few choices for adapters and I'm wondering if you might be able to help me out with your opinions for the best ones.

(Fill in the blanks for the following systems).

NES:
SNES:
GENESIS:
N64:
Playstation:
Atari:

(I think that's all I care about right now, but feel free to add more if you know of any)

If possible too, please list where they are available from (Build Your Own is acceptable too, if you have a site (being that this is BYOAC)  ;))

Thanks in advance.

--NipsMG

Silverwind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
Re:Opinions on the WHOLE GAMUT of Console->PC Adapters...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 11:00:53 am »
I would be interested in being able to plug Genesis/NES controllers into a mame cabinet just for kicks..

an opinoin on the best one? I'm not sure.. have not used any as of yet :(  It does sound interesting though..

Are console controllers able to be hooked up via I-PAC or similar?

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 11:44:29 am »
If your plan is to actually use the console joystick instead of your arcade controls for your cabinet, then the only adapters I've seen are playstation and N64.  Everyone here (as well as myself) recommend the playstation to usb adapter (can support older psx digital pads and the latest dual shock 2 pads which recognizes the two analog thumbsticks, 4-way d-pad, and 12 buttons).

DF

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2006, 05:48:55 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 11:51:49 am »
The Kiki-Joy PSX/PS2 to USB converter gets a big thumbs up from me! It is made by Soyo. It supports all of the buttons, analog sticks, as well as the rumble effects.

The Adaptoid N64 to USB converter is also great, but apparently Wishtech ceased manufacturing them a couple of weeks ago, so if you can find one, grab it now! All of the buttons and the analog stick are supported. It also supports memory cards (you can read and write to them) and I believe it also supports the rumble pack, but I don't have a pack to test it with.

I bought them from http://www.jandaman.com/ So far I have put in three orders to him and have never had a problem.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:46:13 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 12:40:21 pm »
Thanks for the help..

I actually found someone stocking adaptoids still so I snagged 2 while I could..  Figured I might as well, since they're not being manufactured anymore.

I've also found a place that has plans to build adapters for SNES, NES, Atari, Etc ..  (it's mirrored here)

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/Mirrors/www.ziplabel.com/dpadpro/

However, the genesis interface I believe only supports 3 buttons and one joystick... and i'm DEFINITELY interested in getting 2 joystick 6 button support..  Anyone know of a good interface for Genesis?

Thanks,

--NipsMG

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 06:21:37 pm »

Hello,

While my official controller is still waiting for funds to complete it... I grabbed one of these:

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/lookproduct.php3?productid=10&skin=Gamepads

Thrustmaster Dual Power gamepad.

The thing is super sweet.   Feels more comfortable than a PSX joypad... and I believe has more buttons.  (2 on the underbelly - nice trigger like feel)

The analog can be switched to digital with a single button click - in the middle of a game!    The analogs are very precise... and both work awesome with mame.  (even works well for games like robotron, assault... sinistar, and Spyhunter! )

Theres even a keyboard emuation program so you can use the buttons for special functions.   Tho - all the buttons are fully recognized in mame.

And finally, the dual power version has a rumble motor  ;D
Works cool for windows games that support it.

I just saw thier site... and it seems thay have a new model out,  with dual motors.  Looks sweet.

Anyway, I highly recomend them.  They arnt to expensive... and they feel and perform incredible  ;D

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 07:34:25 pm »
I've explained this before but here is what I did. I built a console unit. I wired up a a keyboard controller to a male db9 connector. You have to use a keyboard hack so you have a matrix and can use a minimal number of wires and have the most inputs possible. I'm not done with all the controllers yet but should work with most of the ones you mentioned. I've done it to 2 atari controllers and 2 nes controllers. I took out the original circuit boards of the controllers and cut a new circuit board the same size. Then created the board with simple circuits for the buttons. basically now each button when pressed completes the circuit on the matrix and sends it back just like a keystroke. I then wired the board into a male db9 connector. I made sure the sticks used the same keys for direction and the main firing so that the stick can be used to control a frontend no matter which stick is plugged in. This also allows the controllers to be hot swappable. It works extremely well. It kind of complicated to explain. But is relatively easy to do if you can soldier. You can get everything you need to do it from radio shack. I might be willing to make replacement boards that work like this if anyone is interested.