Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring a control panel for dreamcast and Mame  (Read 1444 times)

jlampc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2022, 07:33:58 am
  • I am not an animal !!! I am a gamer
Wiring a control panel for dreamcast and Mame
« on: December 03, 2002, 10:08:09 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to wire a control panel to both an I-PAC and a dreamcast controller? I want to be able to use the same control panel for my dreamcast and my PC. I have no room in my control panel design for anymore joysticks. if its not possible, I'll just make jacks to plug in the dreamcast controllers(which will be great for gun games like House of the Dead 2)
Help???

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
Re:Wiring a control panel for dreamcast and Mame
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 02:50:34 am »
Alright, here's what you want to do.  Go either to www.gamestop.com or go out to a local video game store, and pick up either A:Pelican or Gamestop digital psx controllers, or B:MadCatz digital psx controllers, they should range from 3-5 dollars, get two of those.  They are extremely easy to hack, and if you break one, you can just go buy another.  
   Then either go on Ebay.com, they're harder to find there, or search the web for 2 psx to dc convertors, the kind that's a solid looking box with a black input that sticks out for the psx controller is the best kind.  Now wire up the psx pads to the terminal strips the I-pac is connected to, or whatever you want as long as they're connected to the wires that go to the buttons, and fire it up, just don't have em both on at the same time.   Note:  if you're worried about having one draw too much power from the other incase someone accidently is stupid in your house and turns em both on, then for safety you can install a switch, a DPDT will do, and just wire the seperate grounds onto either side, so like

DPDT  Switch

( )
                                \\
                         ___<=======>___
                     {___________________}
                        II        II          II
        [ I-Pac 2 Gnds ]:[ To buttons ]:[ Psx 2 Gnds ]

*Always wanted to draw some ASCII art here, but there,
there's how the switch would look and what you'd wire it up like.

-Good Luck
     -CthulhuLuke

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 03:02:23 am »
CthulhuLuke is right on.  A simpler way to explain this is that you want to isolate the dreamcast pad from the i-pac.  You can either do this as CthulhuLuke mentioned with a DPDT switch (nice ascii drawing by the way!  ;D) or you can simply put a molex connector or db25 connect in between the control panel and the i-pac.  Then hack the dreamcast pad to the molex connector.  This way only one or the other is plugged into the control panel.  Get it?  :)

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 02:41:40 pm »
thats how i have mine, my CP is wires up to a 25pin  copnnector, then there is one 25pin connector for the pc and one for the DC, i just swap the connections and turn on whichever system i need, you will need seperate grounds though for the DC controllers so make sure you sire uyp the ipac the same way.