Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sini-joy Update  (Read 1492 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Sini-joy Update
« on: December 03, 2002, 11:58:01 am »

Hello there,

I had someone ask me about the design, so I took it appart, and snapped some more picks.    I havnt had time to update the documentation though, so visit again in a few days.

Heres the new stuff:

www.xiaou2.homestead.com/sinijoy.html

And the main site:

www.xiaou2.homestead.com

Sincerely,
  Steve

Dave_K.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:Sini-joy Update
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 03:08:48 am »
Xiaou2, you've inspired me to hack apart a sony dual analog joystick (the big mother with grips).  I left the plastic shaft intact since its reinforced with metal inside...and then molded my own happs style batt handle top using Fimo plastic sculpting clay!  ;D  It looks and feels like a real happs stick and its analog!  I'll have to borrow the digital camera from work to take some pics.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 12:06:10 pm »

Hi Dave_K,

Im glad to have inspired you   :)     Curriuos to see
it.   Fimo  - very inventive!    Easy to work with, and no need for glue.   (Hope it holds up tho : )

Thanks for the feedback!   ;D

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 04:21:48 pm »
I'm also curious if it will hold up to some intense fighter style games (like DOA3 on the xbox).  ;D  I molded the Fimo around the head of a 3.5 inch galvinaized bolt and then baked it.  This handel/bolt then slips into the hallow shaft of the joystick perfectly.  It took a lot of planning to get the proper height bolt, and dimensions of the happ top correctly molded to the top part of the bolt and have enough of the handle then slip over part of the shaft for added support.  When assembled, height of the handle matches the happs standard sticks when put into a 3/4" thick control panel.

The only problem left is securing the handle/bolt to the shaft so you can't just pull it out or twist it around.  I like your approach of using a pin at the bottom.  I don't know how to drill a pin hole through a galvinized bolt though :-(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2002, 04:24:04 pm by Dave_K. »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 05:52:42 pm »

Hmm, I dont think analogs are good to use with fighters.

(too much stick travel = bad reaction times)

As for the bolt... you should be able to just drill right thru it using a standard drill bit.   Sometimes, you have to use a small bit to start out, and then work your way up to larger bits - redrilling each time and making the hole larger.  

The steel rod I drilled thru was probably a lot tougher than the bolt.   Shouldnt be too hard at all.

I have a drill press and special clamp... so it helped a lot.  Otherwise, it may be a challenge to do such presise (perfectly centered) drilling on a round surface. (practice on something simular first! : )

Sincerely,
  Steve

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 01:38:08 am »
Yeah, I wouldn't use it for fighters ;D but I wonder how it would hold up (DOA3 is the only fighter I have that also uses analog).  I mostly want to use it for console platformers.  

I just posted pics of it here:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=3750
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 02:38:39 am by Dave_K. »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 06:13:08 am »

Hey Dave,

Excellent Job   ;D

( Hmm - now you have to try to get some resistence bands hooked up ;)  )