Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie button question  (Read 1818 times)

THACO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2002, 06:45:23 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Newbie button question
« on: December 01, 2002, 07:05:09 pm »
Hi, im new, and this is probably a pretty dumb/simple question, but i want to make sure i get everything right

Im looking at ordering buttons first i was looking at http://www.ultimarc.com/ for the I-pac and to get my joystick and buttons, then i realized that over at http://www.happcontrols.com/ they seem to be much cheaper, the only problem it seems is that Happ has a wider variety of buttons and joysticks, my primary concern is with the buttons,
Is the Ultimate Pushbutton w/ Microswitch (http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/539200xx.htm) any different from Pushbutton w/ Hoizontal Microswitch (http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5891xxl.htm) It is a lot cheaper for the first option the ultimate pushbutton.  So can i get away with buying the cheaper buttons?  Also these buttons will work with the I-Pac from www.ultimarc.com?  
I have read the boards and see that Bob Roberts is cheaper, but i cannot pay buy check.

-THACO

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
Re:Newbie button question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 07:34:58 pm »
I picked up the horizontals and the verticals and there is no difference in performance.  I used the verticals for menu's, esc buttons etc and the horizontal for player buttons--simply because i found the rounded top better in high action areas than the ones with a bowl like top--personal preference though.  As far as connecting to an ipac/jpac, they are both very easy.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

THACO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2002, 06:45:23 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 07:50:27 pm »
Thanks that is great info, i didn't realize the difference in the top of the buttons one being bowl shaped and other being rouded off at top, that helps a lot thanks.

-THACO

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 11:49:17 pm »
It's also cheaper at http://www.therealbobroberts.com he sells the happs stuff a lot cheaper and is able to be paid in other ways than just a personal cheque.  I went to the post office and paid cash for a money order which was mailed using registered post.  Have a look at that option as it saved me a bit of money.  Just a thought.

Cheers
-cdbrown

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 11:38:35 am »
plz keep in mind... there are 3 types of different buttons out there.... (I mean normally....)

there is 1 called competition, 1 called ultimate vertical, and 1 called ultimate horizontal....

(well.... I have only bought from Happs.... so, don't know details from other places... )

now... competition is the one with convex (??) surface.... it should be the best with track and field... (where you need to hit and release repeatedly VERY VERY FAST.....) but the feel is not too arcade... (for me personally...)
if you remember... some of the NEO geo arcades have those buttons....

now... the normal button (shape-wise) that we see... are the ultiamte.... and that has 2 different types... horizontal and vertical.... I personally prefer the horizontals.... these are the "concave" ones (?!?!) where the button caves in a little to fit your fingertip.... it has better feel but somehow its a little more heavy and somehow give tiny winny bit slower responses if you play track and field..... (it could be just me.....)  :P

check out other messages that had talked about them......
(its been a while....)

hope it helps....

Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 11:52:34 am »
horizontal buttons are the best..end of story..cant beat that looks and how it actually works..Bob Roberts is one NIIICE seller..i got free buttons both times i ordered..make sure you order that him because its cheaper and he sent my buttons before i even sent out the payment...Now that was pretty strange wasnt it :P.

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 12:27:11 pm »
Avoid vertical microswitch pushbuttons. They tend to get "sticky". They would probably be fine for "incidental' buttons (power, esc, tab, etc.)

The horizontals are very superior. The horizontals also have a slightly softer spring, so they are easier to press (you can finess them better).

On the ultimarc site it says that their buttons use switches made by Honeywell, instead of those "cheap asian knockoffs" or some such. The switchs that Happ uses are made by Cherry in Mexico. I don't have any ultimarc switches yet, so I can't compare.

The main advantage of the ultimarc sticks is the built in restrictor plate, for that authentic 4-way feel, very important for 80s games like pac man, donkey kong, etc.

Bob

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 01:13:31 pm »
I'm happy with my ultimark buttons. They have a stiffer click than the other buttons I got off ebay.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.