Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $%#@ Time Warner Cable!!  (Read 1986 times)

coasternuts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 08:39:24 pm
  • Ouuuuch....I am not the worst game ever!!
$%#@ Time Warner Cable!!
« on: May 11, 2005, 07:08:55 pm »
Okay.  They raise the bills at random.  So I called and threaten to go to DirectTV.  They give me $96/mo.  (Digital/Broadband).  A buddy of mine gets $76.  Same deal.  Same town.  Same provider. 

Fine,  so I pay my bill for 6 months as that was the deal.   It goes to $106.  I feel like complaining again, because buddy is now paying $96.  Instead I just pay it.  Next month.  $108.  I'm pissed but do not feel like being on the phone for two hours.  This month.  $111.   

Three increases in three months.  What the $#!@??

Anyone else have similar trials and tribulations and other than cutting them off, what do you do?  Just threaten to leave every  six months?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: $%#@ Time Warner Cable!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 07:15:55 pm »
Nope.  I did away with TV some years ago.  I have one, but only watch DVDs on it.  If there are TV shows I want to watch, I download them.

coasternuts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 07:21:30 pm »
I envy you.

Wife, and kids of 2 and 4, TV is a must.

Downloading?....hmmmm... bit torrent? Or something else?

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:48:26 pm »
Nope.  I did away with TV some years ago.  I have one, but only watch DVDs on it.  If there are TV shows I want to watch, I download them.

My girlfriend is like that.  Never really watched TV as a child, doesn't watch it at all nowadays and refuses to let it be a babysitter when she has kids.  Oddly enough, she saw me playing Pole Position and starting singing the theme song to the old "Pole Position" 80s cartoon - so I'm imagining the little she saw of TV as a child was obscure arcade game related Saturday Morning entertainment.

TV is tanking in quality as of late and with the ability to download shows it's hardly worth paying for cable. 

P.S. - I used to have Time Warner until I moved into Cablevision territority.  As much as I know you hate them right now, TW is a whole lot better with the digital cable than Cablevision.  Time Warner's menus actually respond right away and it never crashes compared to the weekly reboot Cablevision's box requires. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 10:20:20 pm by DaveMMR »

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 10:09:44 pm »
I watched my share of TV growing up... usually toons ranging from classic Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Smurfs to Transformers, Thundercats and a few others from that era...

Also was glued to MTV's Real World/Road Rules shows, Gilligans Island, In The Heat Of The Night, You Can't Do That On Television (through the 80's), Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and such....

Today's TV has NOTHING on the days of classic TV and the "reality" shows that are on now are rather stupid and lame...  only time the TV is actually used as one is when weather gets bad and I need to see what's going on.  Otherwise, it's DVDs and older VHS movies and game consoles...
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:11:35 pm »
My buddy has a wife and 2 small kids, about the same ages, and his kids don't watch TV.  He borrows videos from the library and has a select collection they've purchased for the kids to watch any time.  Cable television isn't required, and at the very least, the amount of your bill suggests something far more than basic cable.  That decision is yours alone.

All that being said, the problem is that your threats are empty.  You stated that your buddy paid $20 less to start, and you just ate that cost for three months, and each time they upped your bill, you ate it yet again.  I haven't had cable for several months, and CONSTANTLY get barraged with snail mail telling me of their latest greatest deal they want to offer me if only I come back to them. 

If you want your bill to go down, more folks like you have to tell the cable company to shove it, and actually follow through on their thus-far-hollow threats.  If they had any worries that they were losing business to threats like that, they'd be working with you.  You GOTTA call their bluff or you're gonna keep getting hit with this stuff....at the very least, I'd be calling to ask "why the *#$@ does my bill keep going up each and every month".
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 12:55:22 pm »
I have to say that I have no complaints about DirecTV. Go ahead and dump your cable and switch.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2024, 04:20:54 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 01:16:14 pm »
I have to say that I have no complaints about DirecTV. Go ahead and dump your cable and switch.

-S

Same here...  Never any outages, and the bill is always the same.  Plus, you can add or subtract programming online without having to talk to an annoying sales type person.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:22:37 pm »
Plus, you can add or subtract programming online without having to talk to an annoying sales type person.

That's a great feature. I change my premium movie channel package fairly often. It's great that you can get online, change your programming, and it takes effect as soon as you click the submit button.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:22:54 pm »
Wife, and kids of 2 and 4, TV is a must.

Why's that again?  I've got three kids, and wife.

Downloading?....hmmmm... bit torrent? Or something else?

Yes.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »
Today's TV has NOTHING on the days of classic TV and the "reality" shows that are on now are rather stupid and lame...

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »

-S

what he said..........

I've had Direct TV for the last 5 years and I am very happy with it............

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 03:10:06 pm »
Today's TV has NOTHING on the days of classic TV and the "reality" shows that are on now are rather stupid and lame... 

TV isn't going down in quality.  We've got Desperate Housewives, Six Feet Under, Simpsons, X-files, The Sopranos, The West Wing, Sex and the City, The Daily Show, Deadwood, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Southpark, Seinfeld, Xena: Warrior Princess  ;) ,  Futurama, Frasier, 24, ...etc.   You are just getting old.  This always happens.  When your list of "good" tv shows was on TV your parents were thinking back to the good old days of Perry Mason and Happy Days and Leave it to Beaver. 

Don't get me wrong, TV pretty much sucks compared to most other forms of entertainment, but if anything TV has gotten better (thanks largely to HBO who consistently pushes boundries).   

Trust me, oldtimer, in 10-20 years your kids are going to talk about the sucky state of television and lament the loss of quality shows like the ones I've listed above. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 03:24:02 pm by shmokes »
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 04:20:08 pm »
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 07:10:02 pm »
Heh.  Well I guess I may as well out myself......  I am a cable technician.  It took a while for me to own up to it.....  but hey man.  I got the perks.  free digital cable with all pay channels.  $8.00 a month for high speed internet.  1/2 price PPV and On Demand Movies and Events.  Yeah tell me how much I suck.  ;)

coasternuts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 08:33:08 pm »
Hook me up!!  ;D

Well, I called.  They said they prorate the bill on a monthly basis since my promotional time was expiring and that my bill has stabilized now after 3 months.   Ha!!  I threatened to cancel and she scheduled for a guy to come out.  Crap!

Truth be told.  I still watch Comedy Central, Boomerang, Discovery, and DIY.  So I guess I'll continue paying it. 

I suck at negotiating.  Thanks for letting me vent.