Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FE that passes coin count?  (Read 14381 times)

youki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
Re: FE that passes coin count?
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2005, 03:58:44 pm »
I don't manage this case. I could do that. You would have just to say to AtomicFE this game has this behaviour.

But i don't plan to do that. In the context of a home use, it is not a big problem.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2005, 05:57:20 pm »
For the record, I still don't think there's a way to fully justify this project. I'm still against it...

iwillfearnoevil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2010, 07:08:43 pm
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2005, 11:09:58 pm »
For the record, I'm still for this FE.

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2005, 11:14:23 pm »
For the record, I'd consult a lawyer before I did anything.

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2005, 03:41:24 am »
Is there any lawyer on this Forum who could help me?

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2005, 04:40:03 pm »
Is there any lawyer on this Forum who could help me?

I don't know of any. With as many legal issues as we discuss here on this site, I think someone would have spoken up already about being a lawyer.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2005, 04:16:14 pm »
Ok.. I was pointed at this thread.

First of all I doubt you'll find a single Mame developer in support of somebody adding a credit management function to a frontend.

It has one use, to make it easier to put Mame in a cabinet and charge for it, something which as most of you are probably aware is the root of many major problems.

Yes there are people out there already doing this, but the last thing we need is yet another option for them.

I'm pretty sure if you were to add such a function any right to mention MAME in your product, or on your website would be denied, as you may have noticed Aaron and Nicola are taking the trademark management very seriously, and I can't see either approving of the name being used in association with something that manages credits.

rchadd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2013, 06:14:06 am
  • Made in Cornwall
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2005, 06:19:13 pm »
call it "FE that passes coin count to M@ME" then

no trademark infringement - no permission required

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2005, 01:04:24 am »

Seriously guys, do you or do you not see what is happening here?  Do you think that Nicola woke up the other day and just decided to start pulling ebay auctions for fun?

They're getting pressured from somewhere.  There are lawyers involved due to the TM thing already and it's to the point now that ebay auctions are getting pulled.  Would adding credit management to a FE make things better or worse?  Or does none of this matter and it's time to purposely try and get everything shut down?

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2005, 08:16:47 am »

Seriously guys, do you or do you not see what is happening here?  Do you think that Nicola woke up the other day and just decided to start pulling ebay auctions for fun?

They're getting pressured from somewhere.  There are lawyers involved due to the TM thing already and it's to the point now that ebay auctions are getting pulled.  Would adding credit management to a FE make things better or worse?  Or does none of this matter and it's time to purposely try and get everything shut down?

I think some people are purposely trying to cause us problems yes.  We've stated please don't do that, it would only cause us problems.  Pushing the issue further indicates that all people want to do is cause us problems.

As I said in the previous thread seems quite a lot of people are quite happy now to take what we've done because their favourite games are emulated, and basically screw us over with no consideration for consequence or the long term future of what is a historically important project.

Its funny, these people claim to be great followers of the project, fans, until you tell them they can't do something.

People seem to see MAME as some kind of throw-away project, something that could be replaced at the click of a button, it isn't.  Sure, creating a piece of software that plays some of your favourite games might be quite easy, but creating something as in-depth as MAME isn't and I suggest that for future generations when non of these boards can be found in fully functional order and the information contain in MAME is vital to their restoration you look after it instead of endangering it because you want to make some quick cash now, or just because you want to piss off the developers because without some of them (for example Aaron) the project would just fall apart.

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2005, 05:15:12 pm »

are you for real? This comment is so disrespectful...I dont agree with what youki is trieng to do but at least he makes an effort to try to understand why we are against going against the wishes of the mame team...you just...uhm I wont go there...

peter