Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: J-Sticks vs. Oscar Restrictor plates  (Read 2195 times)

MadJeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2013, 05:05:50 pm
  • Mamealicious
    • www.madjeff.com
J-Sticks vs. Oscar Restrictor plates
« on: November 30, 2002, 09:59:49 pm »
Yes, looking for more feedback.  ;D

Has anyone here used Optimarc J-Sticks? How do they rate compared to Happ Supers or Comps? The Oscar Restrictors look like the best solution if I decide to go with rotary sticks, but I was wondering how the Jsticks stood up against the Happ products.

How long does it take to swap the oscar restrictors, I wouldn't think more then 30 seconds or so.

reighty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2004, 09:11:16 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re:J-Sticks vs. Oscar Restrictor plates
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 10:17:28 pm »
I have used the T-Sticks and I am very happy with the feel of them, but never got to try the J-Sticks.

wee beastie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2003, 03:33:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 12:46:41 am »
I've got a j-stick, and I only use it for 4way games.  I mounted mine in 3/4 MDF, so it's about the same height as a Ms Pac joystick without any alteration of the underside of your control panel or need for a mounting plate.  

I have to say that the j-stick is great on 4 way games.  It allows you to slide from one cardinal direction to the other without doing a wave motion-ie joystick must follow a parabola to move from up to right.   (the way it looks like you have to do with the restrictor plate).  Although, keep in mind that I have not tried the restrictor plate, I'm just commenting on the way it looks.

The stick also works well in 8 way mode, although I generally don't use it for 8 way games b/c I don't like the fact that the ball top sits so low to the wood control panel.  Most 8 way games I play need to be played with a high joystick I can get all my fingers on  :)

hope this helps, and if it doesn't make sense, it's because I've been working on my cab for waaaaayyyyy to long today

wee beastie

gtjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2006, 05:06:20 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 10:54:34 am »
Here is a response I posted previously.  Don't get me wrong, the plates work as advertised - 4 way play is better, but it wasn't the solution I was looking for.  Depending on your intentions the plates may work for you.  I think there are plenty of people happy with the restrictors. I will probably go with the t-stick or j-stik...

"As for the oscar restrictor plates, they work, but I just don't like the feel of using them.  

The travel in the four directions is severely restricted (it only moves maybe 25-50% of what the joystick can do without the plates).  It didn't feel like I was moving an authentic arcade stick anymore.  It felt like I was just applying pressure to a stick that was stuck in a hole a little bigger than the stick.  I can see why it was designed this way.  If the joystick were allowed to travel any more than it does, there would be a chance that the diagonals would register.

Personally I preferred toughing it out with the 8 way joystick over using the restrictor plate for pacman and donkey kong."