Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any Bezel Making Tips?  (Read 2340 times)

Vectoraster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2020, 12:55:33 pm
  • You *are* starting to annoy me.
    • The VectoRaster Network
Any Bezel Making Tips?
« on: November 29, 2002, 09:57:19 pm »
I have a problem getting my 27" Happs monitor bezel to fit the dimensions of my cabinet (my monitor is shifted forward just enough to make the bezel useless) so I've decided to make my own.

Any tips?  Maybe even a link? I'm trying to get mine looking as good or better than if I hadn't goofed the measurement up in the first place.

Thanks!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:Any Bezel Making Tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 10:28:12 pm »
Option 1 cheap and easy- Use black poster board, just cut out the monitor hole.

Option 2 even cheaper (especially if you have a can of black spray laying around) mask off the monitor area and paint the back of the glass black. Before you dismiss this idea take a look at some arcade cabinets, many of them did it this way.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 05:21:18 am »
I had a similar problem and also had to make my own.. the curve of the 19-20" Happ bezel didn't match up because I'm using a Trinitron PC monitor.

I'm currently using a sheet of posterboard (matte board, really) with a lining of foam strips around the hole so as to better cover and conform to the monitor's curve.  I still need to put spray primer/sealer and paint on it (to give it a more glossy, 'authentic' look and texture), but it should look fine provided the foam colors well and doesn't look too crinkly with the monitor in place.
k-spiff

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 08:13:55 pm »
I had a similar problem and also had to make my own.. the curve of the 19-20" Happ bezel didn't match up because I'm using a Trinitron PC monitor.

I'm currently using a sheet of posterboard (matte board, really) with a lining of foam strips around the hole so as to better cover and conform to the monitor's curve.  I still need to put spray primer/sealer and paint on it (to give it a more glossy, 'authentic' look and texture), but it should look fine provided the foam colors well and doesn't look too crinkly with the monitor in place.

Do you happen to have any pics or more detailed info... i'd love to see an example of a good do it yourself bezel... (one that kinda matches the curvature of the screen - or attempts to =P  )

thanks!
rampy

Richy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 09:04:53 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 06:13:26 am »
I used a permenent marker on the moniter instead of spaypaint soi wouldn't accidentilly spray it on the screen.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 02:14:53 pm »
Do you happen to have any pics or more detailed info... i'd love to see an example of a good do it yourself bezel... (one that kinda matches the curvature of the screen - or attempts to =P  )
I'll take some pics of mine when I get home.  I used black posterboard and foamcore board.  The posterboard was cut into four strips, and each of those was trimmed to match the monitor.  I started out with measurements, then I just laid each piece on the corresponding part of the monitor's bezel, and kept trimming the curve until it matched.  Finally, I used black electrical tape to join the four strips at the corners, and folded back the top 1" or so of each strip

On the foamcore board, I cut a hole to match the viewport, and laid the bezel inside of this, fastening the folded-back edges of the bezel down with spray adhesive. Finally, I spray-adhesived another sheet of posterboard on top of this with an appropriate viewport cut.  It was time-consuming, but I think it came out quite nicely, and none of the monitor's white plastic is visible.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 06:12:29 pm »
I'll take some pics of mine when I get home.
Okay, here we go.  Please ignore the nasty lamp reflection...

--Chris

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 09:31:35 pm »
Thank you chris... that helps visualize it much better....  you did a nice job, especially with the instruction cards... if it weren't for my desire to have instruction cards, i'd just spray paint off an area on my glass...

I'm not sure if your design will help in my situation as my monitor is further away from my screen than that...  hmmm... I'd order a happs bezel but my monitor is 21".  I'll probably start with a basic poster board "frame" in the bezel groove slot underneath the glass and see how much ugliness I can see...  =P

thanks again,

rampy

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 09:49:33 pm »
I'm not sure if your design will help in my situation as my monitor is further away from my screen than that...  hmmm... I'd order a happs bezel but my monitor is 21".  I'll probably start with a basic poster board "frame" in the bezel groove slot underneath the glass and see how much ugliness I can see...  =P
No reason you can't make it deeper... the original was twice as deep.  When I realized how close to the glass the monitor would be, I sliced halfway down the corners and create a new fold to make it shallower.

--Chris
--Chris

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2002, 10:03:48 am »
btw, did you buy the bezel and can't use it?  I was considering purchasing one soon (soon as I could find the cash that is)

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 10:17:59 am »
You could still spray the glass if your attaching instruction cards. Just attach the cards before you spray. I've seen real arcade games where they did it that way.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 10:29:31 am »
You could still spray the glass if your attaching instruction cards. Just attach the cards before you spray. I've seen real arcade games where they did it that way.

I had thought of that... or at least creating a "blank" spot for it... I'm just sure that you'll see if you look at an angle the mounting hardware etc.... blah... I'll rig something up I suppose =P

rampy