Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Remote Control For PC Jukebox  (Read 5767 times)

_Iz-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:58:02 am
  • Time to coin up!
Remote Control For PC Jukebox
« on: November 29, 2002, 04:48:49 pm »
I found a site selling cheap PC remote controls. ($9.99 canadian, they also ship to the US)    :)

http://www.vfxweb.com/index.asp?action=itemv&ia=details&ItemId=1745

I bought one. Any idea if any of the Jukebox programs mentioned around here can/will support this? I'd really like to use this on my mame cabinet.   ::)

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
Re:Remote Control For PC Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 05:10:05 pm »
 Presumably that thing will come with the WIRC software I got with my pc remotes I bought on ebay ( $4.95 I think... )... it's Wireless Infrared Remote Control software... a tray app that'll let you program any button on any remote control to do anything on your computer.
 All you need is the infered reciever... I don't know if yours will be compatible with the software but if you don't have anything like it let me know and I'll put it up somewhere and you can try... really nice and really easy to make your remotes do anything, including, yes, run jukeboxes. :)

- Eric

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 10:07:25 pm »
Iz

Thanks for the link to the remote control.   I ordered 2 of them.   Looks like they come with some software but will have to wait to see what it is.  I am going to try to get it to operate the Virtual Jukebox software mentioned in this section of the board.

Got a better picture of the remote so you can see what functions are implemented.

Looks like it will be really handy if it works out.

It comes with an infared receiver that plugs into a serial port and a driver disk.

Bob

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 10:42:31 pm »
Hmmm, where was that when I was looking for buttons for my jukebox? It worked out ok since I used a touch screen but that looks good even as a fixed keypad. Maybe velcro it down and then you would have both.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 02:16:12 am »
Here's another low cost remote: http://www.pricepc.com/cgi-bin/sku.php?item=9900

I picked one up from here a while ago, had some success getting it working with winamp using third party freeware: http://www.girder.nl/features.php

Maybe the Girder software above will work with your remote?  I can't remember, I played with this stuff so long ago, but I thought you could control anything, as long as you programmed it with the software...I think it could "learn" keypresses or something.  Anyway, it may be worth a look-see....

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 02:26:22 am »
I did a bit more research myself. Apparently the driver/software that comes with the remote is total crap. There are some great 3rd party alternatives.

Girder ( http://www.girder.nl/ )  is freeware and highly customizable.

PC Remote Control ( http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/ ) is shareware and is also supposed to be very good.

Of course, native support in Cyberpunk's Virtual Jukebox would be my ideal preference...   ::)   :)

I got my info at http://www.redflagdeals.com  Search the "Hardware & Software" section of their forum for "creative remote" to find the same posts I did...

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2002, 02:03:06 am »
Got the 2 that I ordered today.  Software that comes with it is not worth the CD that it is recorded on.  Very limited version that Creative Labs probably got for free since and upgrade is need to add features and it is still poor.

Tried Girder and after the initial learning hump it looks like it will work fine with Virtual Jukebox.  Will have to think out how to assign the keys so that the keypad will make sense with the symbols that are on it.  Will make file available once I get it sorted out.

Keypad is really small. 2 x 3 1/4 inches and less than 1/4 inch thick.

That's all for now.

Bob

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2002, 02:22:37 pm »
Whatyado? Live in Calgary!!??   :P

I haven't gotten my order yet...  :'(

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2002, 03:40:13 pm »
Not Calgary,  Edmonton.

The GML file for girder is available from my ftp at the link noted below:

Works really well with virtual jukebox.  Please note it is set up to work in all windows because that was easy and I am planning on using it only for virtual jukebox which will be the program running.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bakaye/creativegml.zip

Bob

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2002, 04:45:35 pm »
Kewl, got file. Just need my order now! Apparently you can use remotes other than the one the receiver came with. Might be useful to know if there weren't enough buttons on the stock remote to suit you (or if it gets lost/broken).

BobA: I used to live in Edmonton about 14 years ago. Lived there for almost a year. Was too damn cold for me! I'm spoiled by the weather here in the Okanagan...   :)

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2002, 04:06:53 pm »
Tried a TV and VCR remote and nada.  The indicator in girder did not indicate that it received any codes.  I think girder will accept many different remotes with the normal IR receiver on the serial port but the creative one may be specific for it's own transmitter. Not sure of this yet but haven't got it to work yet.

Bob

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2002, 06:23:43 pm »
Got my order last night.  :)
Took me some fooling with girder to get it to work but I eventually figured everything out. I can also use the remote for my DVD player with the creative IR receiver. Haven't tried my TV remote yet...

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:07:44 pm
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 01:06:32 pm »
I have been trying to build my own reciever for that past week with the help of this site:
http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/
I am going to try again tonight to solder together all the parts. The parts are only $5-8 at Radio Shack. I am hoping it works. You might be able to use any remote with the software on that site. There is a link for using Visual Basic to work with it also. Good luck.

J_K_M_A_N